Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye

  • Matthew Rogers
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2010
      The due date of the lens has now been pushed out to March 2011 so I guess we'll be seeing it in May :(

      Matt

      On 25 Oct 2010, at 15:16, Luca Vascon wrote:

      > > The Tokina is fine at 10-12mm. Just as good as Nikkor 10.5mm actually I
      > > would call it superior to the 10.5 as the 10.5mm also reduces the resolution
      > > at the 160-180 area with 20%.
      > >
      > > Regarding the Sigma 15mm I got this Canon-Sigma test sent to me by John
      > > Houghton.
      > > http://www.gletscherbruch.de/foto/test/fisheye/fish.html
      > >
      > > Hans
      > >

      > Interesting link, thanx!
      > The 15mm Canon I had been testing has probably something that is not ok.
      > The results I had with the Sigma are actually very very close to the ones
      > John brings out. Slightly better at the borders after CA correction. The
      > lens has sweet spot at f8, weak borders at f2.8 with vignetting, recovering
      > and beeing good from 3.5.
      > I heard good and bad things about the 15mm Canon, but I see good results
      > from you, John and others. We all know sigma had some problems in uniformity
      > of production, specially with some difficult lenses as 12-24 fullframe,
      > maybe there is a bunch of weak 15Canon?
      >
      > Very curious to see 8-15.

    • bigwade
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2010
        Sig/canon (http://www.gletscherbruch.de/foto/test/fisheye/fish.html) is a
        matter of production and focus.
        Hans, you ever had a RAW file for download (not sure, panoguide?) and it's
        not better or worse than my Sig 15 IMHO
        MY Tokina @15mm is worse :-)

      • Hans
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 2010
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, bigwade <celsius@...> wrote:

          > Sig/canon (http://www.gletscherbruch.de/foto/test/fisheye/fish.html) is a
          > matter of production and focus.
          > Hans, you ever had a RAW file for download (not sure, panoguide?) and it's
          > not better or worse than my Sig 15 IMHO
          > MY Tokina @15mm is worse :-)

          I never had aSigma 15mm but I have this test comparing the Tokina and the Canon at 15mm.
          http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/canon-tokina/

          Hans
        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 2, 2010

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, bigwade <celsius@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Sig/canon (http://www.gletscherbruch.de/foto/test/fisheye/fish.html) is a
            > > matter of production and focus.
            > > Hans, you ever had a RAW file for download (not sure, panoguide?) and it's
            > > not better or worse than my Sig 15 IMHO
            > > MY Tokina @15mm is worse :-)
            >

            > I never had aSigma 15mm but I have this test comparing the Tokina and the Canon at 15mm.
            > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/canon-tokina/
            >
            > Hans

            Compared with a Nikkor 10.5mm my Sigma 15mm has a different kind of flare behavior -- ie. a general veiling haze compared to the more compact (and often more retouchable) flare artefacts of the Nikkor. The Nikkor is much sharper wide open but stopped down they have the same sort of sharpness I would say. The Nikkor shaved has 200 degrees of coverage on full frame - which has its particular uses.

            Peter M
          • luca vascon
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 4, 2010

              > Compared with a Nikkor 10.5mm my Sigma 15mm has a different kind of flare
              > behavior -- ie. a general veiling haze compared to the more compact (and
              > often more retouchable) flare artefacts of the Nikkor. The Nikkor is much
              > sharper wide open but stopped down they have the same sort of sharpness I
              > would say. The Nikkor shaved has 200 degrees of coverage on full frame -
              > which has its particular uses.
              >
              > Peter M
              >
              > I agree any single word, but the Sigma 15 I have is really not so bad in
              flare, after all.
              I used any single degree of the 10.5, has its uses, really. Not a matter of
              stitching-picture area, but of aid for color blending and control point
              placing (even if the maths we use are not dealing really precisely with
              it!!)

              --
              Luca Vascon.

              www.canalview.it