Re: [PanoToolsNG] Samyang 8mm

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 62 , Nov 1, 2010
      On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 05:51:21 +0900, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

      > Roger,
      > I get for some reason a sharper image and DOF with setting at F6.7-8 and
      > prefocus at .7m.
      > Why, I don't know.
      > I read a longtime ago on this forum about optimal settings for this
      > lens, but forgot what they were. Maybe other owners would remind me.
      > Thank you!

      It looks as if the Samyang is sufficiently different from the Peleng
      that my comments about hyperfocal distance were inapplicable. I just
      read a recommendation from someone else to set the focus on 0.7m, so
      you are in agreement with that. It's probably a quirk of former
      Soviet Union lenses that makes things work the other way around in
      my case!

      But F6.7 to F8 sounds about right.

      Like you, I often forget the details of helpful tips I read about on
      this list (my excuse is old age!) and to save space I always delete
      the PanoToolsNG mail... and have never mastered the search functions
      on Yahoo. <blush>

      Roger W.

      --
      Business: www.adex-japan.com
      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Message 62 of 62 , Feb 10, 2014

        Le 9 févr. 2014 à 23:22, <markdfink@...> <markdfink@...> a écrit :

        Absolutely don't trust the focus scales on any of their lenses! I found out the hard way with a 35mm that I rented, and see that both my 14mm and 8mm have the same issues. I used this link to find out how to fix it so that I can reliably use hyperfocal settings when shooting.

        Mark
        Mark, thank you very much for sharing this link.
        I had found by myself the same way to mechanically set the focus scale ring at the correct position. I can confirm that it made me a happy user of the Samyang 14 mm for more than three years now.
        I was inspired by Jeffrey R. Charles who had kindly taught us in 2009 how to solve the problem that similarly affects the Samyang 8 mm f3.5 fisheye lens. It is a simpler fix than for the rectilinear WA though:

        Best regards,

        Michel Thoby