Re: [PanoToolsNG] Samyang 8mm

  • Ricardo TVB
    Message 1 of 62 , Nov 1, 2010
      Sure.
      The image (jpg -untouched as yours) is at
      http://www.tourvirtualbrasil.com.br/sdmkIISy.html
      ISO 400 - 0.8s

      Regards,

      Ricardo

      Em 01/11/2010 15:12, A Kielcz escreveu:

      > Ricardo,
      > Thank you for replying. I'll try it.
      > Could you please post an image.
      >
      > A Kielcz
      >
      > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.
      >
      > --- On Mon, 11/1/10, Ricardo TVB
      > <ricardo.araujo@...
      > <mailto:ricardo.araujo%40tourvirtualbrasil.com.br>> wrote:
      >
      > From: Ricardo TVB <ricardo.araujo@...
      > <mailto:ricardo.araujo%40tourvirtualbrasil.com.br>>
      > Subject: Re: [PanoToolsNG] Samyang 8mm
      > To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
      > Date: Monday, November 1, 2010, 12:09 PM
      >

      > My best results using Samyang with 5D MKII is at F/8 and
      >
      > focus set to 0.7m. This is the sharpest image for this combo
      >
      > (at least for my samples) from 30cm to infinity.
      >
      > Em 01/11/2010 13:03, Roger D. Williams escreveu:
      >

      > > On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 22:00:36 +0900, A Kielcz
      >
      > > <roblee007@... <mailto:roblee007%40yahoo.com>
      > <mailto:roblee007%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
      >

      > > > Thank you Roger.
      >
      > > > It was shot in RAW at 5.6 and focus was set to 1.5m.. I
      >
      > > could not u/l
      >
      > > > original NEF, because it wouldn't accept it.
      >
      > > > Is it possible that CA wasn't even on both sides,
      >
      > > because it wasn't
      >
      > > > level?
      >
      > > > Tests are good, but I want be able to correct anything
      >
      > > anyway.
      >

      > > You're welcome. Hmmm. Looks a bit soft for F/5.6. Try it
      >
      > > at F/8 and 11
      >
      > > and see if you get noticeable improvements. Also try 2.0m
      >
      > > or even 3.0m.
      >
      > > As I said, I had to focus further out than dictated by the
      >
      > > hyperfocal
      >
      > > rule in order to get the best sharpness from my Peleng.
      >

      > > If CA is not the same on both sides the cause will be in
      >
      > > the internal
      >
      > > geometry of the lens, not any orientation of the camera. I
      >
      > > suggested
      >
      > > "decentering" which simply means that the optical axis of
      >
      > > the lens
      >
      > > isn't precisely aligned with the lens barrel. But the
      >
      > > effect is very
      >
      > > slight, so I wouldn't worry about it.
      >

      > > You must have used a RAW file processor to get your JPEGs,
      >
      > > and it
      >
      > > can introduce softness in the resulting images. The RAW
      >
      > > processor is
      >
      > > where you should remove the CA. CA looks bad and seems
      >
      > > serious, and
      >
      > > if left uncorrected plays havoc with control point
      >
      > > location (think
      >
      > > about having fringes on the opposite sides of the same
      >
      > > feature when
      >
      > > it appears on the extreme left of one shot and the extreme
      >
      > > right of
      >
      > > the next, overlapping, shot! You don't want that. All RAW
      >
      > > processors
      >
      > > I've played with have sliders to eliminate CA. Play with
      >
      > > them until
      >
      > > you can't see coloured fringes at full x1 screen
      >
      > > magnification!
      >

      > > Roger W.

> [...]

    • Michel Thoby
      Message 62 of 62 , Feb 10

        Le 9 févr. 2014 à 23:22, <markdfink@...> <markdfink@...> a écrit :

        Absolutely don't trust the focus scales on any of their lenses! I found out the hard way with a 35mm that I rented, and see that both my 14mm and 8mm have the same issues. I used this link to find out how to fix it so that I can reliably use hyperfocal settings when shooting.

        Mark
        Mark, thank you very much for sharing this link.
        I had found by myself the same way to mechanically set the focus scale ring at the correct position. I can confirm that it made me a happy user of the Samyang 14 mm for more than three years now.
        I was inspired by Jeffrey R. Charles who had kindly taught us in 2009 how to solve the problem that similarly affects the Samyang 8 mm f3.5 fisheye lens. It is a simpler fix than for the rectilinear WA though:

        Best regards,

        Michel Thoby