Re: Correcting Distortion - Newbie advice requested

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2010
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "peter.mott@..." <peter@...> wrote:

      > I have PTGui (v8.3). I noticed an interesting if rather extended discussion regarding a Samyang 8mm fisheye lens. I had not heard of this make. It is jolly cheap. But not so cheap as to buy one to see if it works.
      >
      > If I took an image with this lens can I use PTGui to straighten the bent vertical and >horizontal lines? (I think I can)

      Yes and you will probably get better results in the corners than a normal 8mm fisheye due to the special projection.

      > The lens has manual aperture setting. If I mount it on my Canon 7D then I have to set the aperture manually. Can I use the built in Canon metering to do this?

      Yes any manual lens that can get mounted on a Canon can be used also with the exposure metering. Also old Nikkor lenses usinmg an adapter.

      Hans
    • PETER MOTT
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2010

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "peter.mott@" <peter@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have PTGui (v8.3). I noticed an interesting if rather extended discussion regarding a Samyang 8mm fisheye lens. I had not heard of this make. It is jolly cheap. But not so cheap as to buy one to see if it works.
        > >
        > > If I took an image with this lens can I use PTGui to straighten the bent vertical and >horizontal lines? (I think I can)
        >
        > Yes and you will probably get better results in the corners than a normal 8mm fisheye due to the special projection.

        That'll be the 'stereographic' projection I read in a review? The review said this was a more expensive design - which is rather remarkable.

        > > The lens has manual aperture setting. If I mount it on my Canon 7D then I have to set the aperture manually. Can I use the built in Canon metering to do this?
        > >

        > Yes any manual lens that can get mounted on a Canon can be used also with the exposure metering. Also old Nikkor lenses usinmg an adapter.

        Great. Thanks very much - and to the gentleman whose aperture ring vibrated without which I would never have heard of Samyang!