Correcting Distortion - Newbie advice requested

  • peter.mott@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2010
      I have PTGui (v8.3). I noticed an interesting if rather extended discussion regarding a Samyang 8mm fisheye lens. I had not heard of this make. It is jolly cheap. But not so cheap as to buy one to see if it works.

      If I took an image with this lens can I use PTGui to straighten the bent vertical and horizontal lines? (I think I can)

      The lens has manual aperture setting. If I mount it on my Canon 7D then I have to set the aperture manually. Can I use the built in Canon metering to do this?

      Any help greatly appreciated

      -- Peter
    • Hans
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2010
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "peter.mott@..." <peter@...> wrote:

        > I have PTGui (v8.3). I noticed an interesting if rather extended discussion regarding a Samyang 8mm fisheye lens. I had not heard of this make. It is jolly cheap. But not so cheap as to buy one to see if it works.
        >
        > If I took an image with this lens can I use PTGui to straighten the bent vertical and >horizontal lines? (I think I can)

        Yes and you will probably get better results in the corners than a normal 8mm fisheye due to the special projection.

        > The lens has manual aperture setting. If I mount it on my Canon 7D then I have to set the aperture manually. Can I use the built in Canon metering to do this?

        Yes any manual lens that can get mounted on a Canon can be used also with the exposure metering. Also old Nikkor lenses usinmg an adapter.

        Hans
      • PETER MOTT
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2010

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "peter.mott@" <peter@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have PTGui (v8.3). I noticed an interesting if rather extended discussion regarding a Samyang 8mm fisheye lens. I had not heard of this make. It is jolly cheap. But not so cheap as to buy one to see if it works.
          > >
          > > If I took an image with this lens can I use PTGui to straighten the bent vertical and >horizontal lines? (I think I can)
          >
          > Yes and you will probably get better results in the corners than a normal 8mm fisheye due to the special projection.

          That'll be the 'stereographic' projection I read in a review? The review said this was a more expensive design - which is rather remarkable.

          > > The lens has manual aperture setting. If I mount it on my Canon 7D then I have to set the aperture manually. Can I use the built in Canon metering to do this?
          > >

          > Yes any manual lens that can get mounted on a Canon can be used also with the exposure metering. Also old Nikkor lenses usinmg an adapter.

          Great. Thanks very much - and to the gentleman whose aperture ring vibrated without which I would never have heard of Samyang!