How to design a good streetview rig

  • Jan Martin
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2010

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2010

        > Can it be done even better?
        > Costs should be less then 1500 $US.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jan
        >
        > --
        > http://www.DIY-streetview.org

        Hi Jan
        you say:
        "All panoramas from multi-camera rigs suffer from the unavoidable parallax error due to no NPP (No Parallax (error) Point). The smallest stitching error one can hope for is determined by the largest distance of any two lenses of the rig.
        The smaller the cameras and the closer ALL of the lenses, the better."

        Enroute (see the pic on this page for Enroute)
        http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~kostas/omni.html
        have (had?) a system with mirrors where they claim the NPPs of all the cameras coincide exactly. Though because of the mirrors the possible vertical fov would not be very great one would think.

        PeterM
      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2010

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jan Martin <janmartin@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I just published a new article:
          > >
          > > How to design a good streetview rig
          > > http://www.diy-streetview.org/2010/11/01/how-to-design-a-good-streetview-rig/
          > >
          > > Can it be done even better?
          > > Costs should be less then 1500 $US.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Jan
          > >
          > > --
          > > http://www.DIY-streetview.org

          > Hi Jan
          > you say:
          > "All panoramas from multi-camera rigs suffer from the unavoidable parallax error due to no NPP (No Parallax (error) Point). The smallest stitching error one can hope for is determined by the largest distance of any two lenses of the rig.
          > The smaller the cameras and the closer ALL of the lenses, the better."
          >
          > Enroute (see the pic on this page for Enroute)
          > http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~kostas/omni.html
          > have (had?) a system with mirrors where they claim the NPPs of all the cameras coincide exactly. Though because of the mirrors the possible vertical fov would not be very great one would think.
          >
          > PeterM

          see page 15 of "Panoramic vision: sensors, theory, and applications"
          (it is in the preview) for multicamera mirror discussion
          http://books.google.com.au/books?id=MoAvSTApdDoC&dq=isbn:0387951113

          PeterM
        • Jan Martin
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 31, 2010
            Hi Peter,

            thanks for the links.

            I am aware of such "planar mirror" systems.
            Problem is that the more components one has, the more challenging it becomes
            to arrange them precisely. Also one would have to find the right
            optical-grade mirrors and then to cut them.
            Standard mirrors like in bathrooms actually produce two images, one from the
            front glass surface and one from the mirror surface on the back of the glass

            My goal is to provide a design that can be copied relatively easily.
            CNC is available worldwide and cheap.

            Even if it would be nice to have such a rig, I will not try to make one by
            myself.

            Jan

            --
            http://www.DIY-streetview.org