Re: Gigapixels might get a new blast

  • johnmyrstad
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 31, 2010
      Erik: Yes, "fractal" is a buzzword, but thats what they say. I believe ou may read details about it the upcoming Computer Graphics (CG) Quarterly: www.siggraph.org/publications/newsletter/volume-44-number-4/

      John Myrstad
    • prague
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2010
        did they start with no known camera positions or lens parameters? or are both known already? if so, i wouldn't really call it much of a breakthrough, more like a significant step forward, but not a breakthrough. creating a thumbnail preview from known camera positions/parameters isn't a huge leap forward, i guess, but those more knowledgeable than me about such stuff can correct me if i'm wrong.

        forgive me for being skeptical, but it's hard to tell what is linkbait and what is a genuine breakthrough from a lot of these "scientific" articles, which rarely give enough information for the reader to discern which is which.

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2010
          Am 31.10.2010 18:22, schrieb Joost Nieuwenhuijse:

          > And Zoomify, krpano and pano2vr basically use pyramid
          > images when displaying multi resolution panoramas.

          Yes, but those are redundant. A part of the pixels in the larger
          resolution is also present in the lower one.

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2010
            Am 31.10.2010 21:18, schrieb johnmyrstad:

            > I believe ou may read details about it the upcoming Computer
            > Graphics (CG) Quarterly:
            > www.siggraph.org/publications/newsletter/volume-44-number-4/

            -> To access this part of the site, you need to log in with your user
            name and password.

            :-(