Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Stereo 3D Panorama Samples for Zalman Trimon and other row interleaved 3D monitors

  • Bernhard Vogl
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2010
      > Well the player technology already exists for a shutter glass stereo panorama viewer and has done for 8 or 9 years in the form of M. Husak's GLStereo Panorama player
      > http://www.gali-3d.com/archive/articles/VFX3D_headtracking/Headtracking.php which will work with Quadro 3dVision systems (and older Quadro drivers and generic shutter glasses). But this is not Flash and you need an expensive Quadro card.
      Just for the records (i'm sure you know Peter): GLStereo can display
      interlaced mode with every GPU, only quadbuffered stereo mode for HMDs
      and glasses is limited to cards like the upper range of professional
      Nvidia cards.
      > Similarly Virtools, Bitmanagement's BSContact Stereo, Worldviz's Vizard all support stereo textures in interactive 3d worlds on Opengl stereo hardware and so can be used for active shutter glasses stereo panorama display. Maybe the new hardware accelerated Flash will make a mass market 3dVision/nvidia Play + DirectX support for large screen shutter glass stereo possible. Or maybe a solution will come out of left field, like from Unity3d where there is a lot of stereo chatter on their forums. There are lenticular screen attachments for Iphone coming out (5 views) -- that might be a cool platform. I am looking forward the the Toshiba and Nintendo 3ds autostereo displays which have great potential too I think.
      I see, you are very active in finding possibilities for displaying 3D
      content. :-)
      As you mentioned, there are still many competing technologies which
      makes it hard to focus on an unified technology. Shutter glasses in many
      variants are on the marked for more than 10 years. As all solutions that
      need glasses, they never made it to the mass marked.
      I'm positive that this may happen with autostereoscopic displays. But
      this technology isn't ready for the mass market and even then, it needs
      some sort of standard to reach the 'critical mass'.

      Best regards
      Bernhard
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 18, 2010
        I got my Zalman monitor (24") back and had a look -- the non-full-screen ones look good but with some moire as you pan. The full-screen ones are pseudoscopic on my display but the stereo depth looks strong and the moire is less than non-full-screen.
        re displays -- the Toshiba autostereo ones will be going on sale in Japan any day now. Also this new Eizo autostereo one
        http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/13/eizo-announces-more-detail-on-glasses-free-3d-duravision-lcd-re/
        looks promising.
        Peter M