Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Gigapixels might get a new blast

  • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 31, 2010
      AFAIK Tiff supports a pyramid image representation. The MrSID file
      format (used for satellite imagery) uses wavelet pyramids. Then there's
      progressive jpeg. And Zoomify, krpano and pano2vr basically use pyramid
      images when displaying multi resolution panoramas.

      I guess there must be some novelty here but the article doesn't really
      reveal it..

      Joost

      On 31-10-2010 17:51, Erik Krause wrote:
      > Am 31.10.2010 11:02, schrieb johnmyrstad:
      >> The interesting part is the new (patented? )file system which lets
      >> the software access image data in a fractal way and use these
      >> "fractal views" in realtime.
      >
      > "Fractal" is still a buzzword and it guarantees for attention especially
      > from those who don't exactly understand what it means.
      >
      > However, a file format that stores an image pyramid in a non-redundant
      > way would be very good. But I doubt you need a patent for that. The old
      > Kodak Photo CD format PCD had this feature and I bet there are some more
      > (and more flexible) formats. But the market accepts new file formats
      > very slowly if at all. See PNG or Jpeg2000...

    • johnmyrstad
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 31, 2010
        Erik: Yes, "fractal" is a buzzword, but thats what they say. I believe ou may read details about it the upcoming Computer Graphics (CG) Quarterly: www.siggraph.org/publications/newsletter/volume-44-number-4/

        John Myrstad
      • prague
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2010
          did they start with no known camera positions or lens parameters? or are both known already? if so, i wouldn't really call it much of a breakthrough, more like a significant step forward, but not a breakthrough. creating a thumbnail preview from known camera positions/parameters isn't a huge leap forward, i guess, but those more knowledgeable than me about such stuff can correct me if i'm wrong.

          forgive me for being skeptical, but it's hard to tell what is linkbait and what is a genuine breakthrough from a lot of these "scientific" articles, which rarely give enough information for the reader to discern which is which.

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2010
            Am 31.10.2010 18:22, schrieb Joost Nieuwenhuijse:

            > And Zoomify, krpano and pano2vr basically use pyramid
            > images when displaying multi resolution panoramas.

            Yes, but those are redundant. A part of the pixels in the larger
            resolution is also present in the lower one.

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2010
              Am 31.10.2010 21:18, schrieb johnmyrstad:

              > I believe ou may read details about it the upcoming Computer
              > Graphics (CG) Quarterly:
              > www.siggraph.org/publications/newsletter/volume-44-number-4/

              -> To access this part of the site, you need to log in with your user
              name and password.

              :-(