Re: [PanoToolsNG] Samyang 8mm

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 62 , Oct 30, 2010
      On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 04:18:05 +0900, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

      > My lens just came back from focus ring adjustment by Foto-tip.
      > I wonder if it is as sharp as to be expected from this lens. I shot an
      > image setting focus to 1.5m at F5.6.
      > Wonder, if you guys could take a look at this image and let me know.
      > http://www.sendspace.com/file/bwsar5
      > Thank you!

      I didn't get past all the advertising to actually download your file, but
      I would point out that you don't get the full sharpness of which a lens
      is capable by just looking at the RAW file. A little (sometimes a VERY
      little) judicious sharpening will show you what it is capable of. The
      Pentax 12 - 24mm rectilinear zoom and its Tokina twin have the reputation
      of being very sharp, and I can verify that, but only after giving it a
      bit of help. It may be the same for your Samyang. (You didn't way which
      lens but I assume it is the Samyang 8mm.)

      Roger W.

      --
      Business: www.adex-japan.com
      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Message 62 of 62 , Feb 10, 2014

        Le 9 févr. 2014 à 23:22, <markdfink@...> <markdfink@...> a écrit :

        Absolutely don't trust the focus scales on any of their lenses! I found out the hard way with a 35mm that I rented, and see that both my 14mm and 8mm have the same issues. I used this link to find out how to fix it so that I can reliably use hyperfocal settings when shooting.

        Mark
        Mark, thank you very much for sharing this link.
        I had found by myself the same way to mechanically set the focus scale ring at the correct position. I can confirm that it made me a happy user of the Samyang 14 mm for more than three years now.
        I was inspired by Jeffrey R. Charles who had kindly taught us in 2009 how to solve the problem that similarly affects the Samyang 8 mm f3.5 fisheye lens. It is a simpler fix than for the rectilinear WA though:

        Best regards,

        Michel Thoby