Stereo 3D Panorama Samples for Zalman Trimon and other row interleaved 3D monitors

  • Bernhard Vogl
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2010
      Here are 2 prototypes of 3D panoramas, for display on row interleaved 3D
      monitors.
      http://thepanoramablog.blogspot.com/2010/10/stereo-3d-panorama-samples-for-zalman.html

      This prototype only works for 3D monitors with row interleave
      technology. With 'active' solutions like Nvidias 3D Vision you are out
      of luck as it would require a completely new player technology that
      could interact with the graphics driver...

      Many thanks to Erik Leeman who adapted his original Flash preloader (
      http://tinyurl.com/P2VR-Alternating-JL ) to output the required screen
      format!

      Best regards
      Bernhard
    • Wim Koornneef
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 30, 2010
        Bernhard and Erik thanks a lot for your efforts, the 3D flash viewer seems to
        works good, perhaps not perfect but good enough to get a fine impression
        what is possible, now all I need is an interlaced 3D monitor ;-)

        For people without an interlaced 3D monitor, or when you want to compare the
        panoramas in 2D and 3D, you can use the "remove grid" button to show a flat
        2D panorama.
        The panorama of the fishing ships is also available as ColorCode3D and
        red/cyan anaglyph so together with the interlaced version a comparison of 3
        different 3D systems and a 2D display is possible.
        For those of you who visited the PanoTools Meeting in Plymouth, this is the
        same panorama that was showed in the dome of the Immersive Vision Theatre.

        Best,
        Wim

      • Andrew
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 30, 2010
          Hey, I know your demo is really for interleaved 3D monitors but I just took a look at the Anaglyph version of the roof top image.

          I have 3 X 24" all together as a single desktop (2 X ATI 5870 cards) and it looks fantastic that size, especially the view over towards the crane on the left. Really immersive. The 360 kind of works but you go cross eyed trying to quickly adjust to different depths.

          Andrew
        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 30, 2010
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

            > Here are 2 prototypes of 3D panoramas, for display on row interleaved 3D
            > monitors.
            > http://thepanoramablog.blogspot.com/2010/10/stereo-3d-panorama-samples-for-zalman.html
            >
            > This prototype only works for 3D monitors with row interleave
            > technology. With 'active' solutions like Nvidias 3D Vision you are out
            > of luck as it would require a completely new player technology that
            > could interact with the graphics driver...
            >
            > Many thanks to Erik Leeman who adapted his original Flash preloader (
            > http://tinyurl.com/P2VR-Alternating-JL ) to output the required screen
            > format!
            >
            > Best regards
            > Bernhard

            > With 'active' solutions like Nvidias 3D Vision you are out
            > of luck as it would require a completely new player technology that
            > could interact with the graphics driver...

            Well the player technology already exists for a shutter glass stereo panorama viewer and has done for 8 or 9 years in the form of M. Husak's GLStereo Panorama player
            http://www.gali-3d.com/archive/articles/VFX3D_headtracking/Headtracking.php which will work with Quadro 3dVision systems (and older Quadro drivers and generic shutter glasses). But this is not Flash and you need an expensive Quadro card. Similarly Virtools, Bitmanagement's BSContact Stereo, Worldviz's Vizard all support stereo textures in interactive 3d worlds on Opengl stereo hardware and so can be used for active shutter glasses stereo panorama display. Maybe the new hardware accelerated Flash will make a mass market 3dVision/nvidia Play + DirectX support for large screen shutter glass stereo possible. Or maybe a solution will come out of left field, like from Unity3d where there is a lot of stereo chatter on their forums. There are lenticular screen attachments for Iphone coming out (5 views) -- that might be a cool platform. I am looking forward the the Toshiba and Nintendo 3ds autostereo displays which have great potential too I think.

            But it is great that you are making headway with support for horizontally interlaced stereo panoramas in Flash! This Xpol technology seems to be maintaining its foothold in the market and the great fault with it viz. namely the restricted vertical viewing angle seems to be getting better in some new displays. I read somewhere recently a post where someone said the vertical zone for Zalman monitors was about 10 degrees versus 25 degrees for the Xpol based 46" JVC monitor -- and when I saw one of these latter it did seem to have a better vertical viewing angle. The other fault viz, halving of vertical resolution will get better as the base screens get sharper I guess.

            I will test your samples when I get my Zalman monitor back in a couple of weeks but I am sure they will be fine. If you can see the horizontal interlacing it is going to work :-). I prefer it for most stereo subjects to my Samsung 3dVision shutter glass display.

            Peter M

          • Bernhard Vogl
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 31, 2010
              > Well the player technology already exists for a shutter glass stereo panorama viewer and has done for 8 or 9 years in the form of M. Husak's GLStereo Panorama player
              > http://www.gali-3d.com/archive/articles/VFX3D_headtracking/Headtracking.php which will work with Quadro 3dVision systems (and older Quadro drivers and generic shutter glasses). But this is not Flash and you need an expensive Quadro card.
              Just for the records (i'm sure you know Peter): GLStereo can display
              interlaced mode with every GPU, only quadbuffered stereo mode for HMDs
              and glasses is limited to cards like the upper range of professional
              Nvidia cards.
              > Similarly Virtools, Bitmanagement's BSContact Stereo, Worldviz's Vizard all support stereo textures in interactive 3d worlds on Opengl stereo hardware and so can be used for active shutter glasses stereo panorama display. Maybe the new hardware accelerated Flash will make a mass market 3dVision/nvidia Play + DirectX support for large screen shutter glass stereo possible. Or maybe a solution will come out of left field, like from Unity3d where there is a lot of stereo chatter on their forums. There are lenticular screen attachments for Iphone coming out (5 views) -- that might be a cool platform. I am looking forward the the Toshiba and Nintendo 3ds autostereo displays which have great potential too I think.
              I see, you are very active in finding possibilities for displaying 3D
              content. :-)
              As you mentioned, there are still many competing technologies which
              makes it hard to focus on an unified technology. Shutter glasses in many
              variants are on the marked for more than 10 years. As all solutions that
              need glasses, they never made it to the mass marked.
              I'm positive that this may happen with autostereoscopic displays. But
              this technology isn't ready for the mass market and even then, it needs
              some sort of standard to reach the 'critical mass'.

              Best regards
              Bernhard
            • panovrx
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 18, 2010
                I got my Zalman monitor (24") back and had a look -- the non-full-screen ones look good but with some moire as you pan. The full-screen ones are pseudoscopic on my display but the stereo depth looks strong and the moire is less than non-full-screen.
                re displays -- the Toshiba autostereo ones will be going on sale in Japan any day now. Also this new Eizo autostereo one
                http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/13/eizo-announces-more-detail-on-glasses-free-3d-duravision-lcd-re/
                looks promising.
                Peter M