Re: Hundreds of Aerial 360`s

  • Phil
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 29, 2010
      IPIX quality imaging from a helicopter. :(
    • AYRTON
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 29, 2010
        Jesus, the player is HORRIBLE
        impossible to spend time looking at the panos ...

        Sorry
        I've never seen such a bad player

        AYRTON

        On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 6:55 PM, johnmyrstad <johnmyrstad@...> wrote:

        > Hundreds of Aerial 360`s in the making by Norwegian company. What do you
        > think about the images ?
        >
        > http://kunder.makingview.no/2010/visitnorway_vestlandet/

        + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
        + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
        http://ayrton360.com
        twitter.com/ayrton360

      • Trausti Hraunfjord
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 29, 2010
          Great views can be found many places in Norway. The difference is that
          viewing in person will keep you sane, while using this player will feel like
          rain, sleet, snow, dust and gravel blowing in your face, no matter where you
          try to turn your face. Horrible experience.

          Trausti

          On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 6:33 PM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:

          > Jesus, the player is HORRIBLE
          > impossible to spend time looking at the panos ...
          >
          > Sorry
          > I've never seen such a bad player
          >
          > AYRTON

        • Bostjan Burger
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 29, 2010
            The viewer is horrible but the project looks great. I like it.

            Bostjan

            ________________________________
            Hundreds of Aerial 360`s in the making by Norwegian company. What do you think
            about the images ?

            http://kunder.makingview.no/2010/visitnorway_vestlandet/

          • Bjørn K Nilssen
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 30, 2010
              På Sat, 30 Oct 2010 05:44:56 +0200, skrev Trausti Hraunfjord
              <trausti.hraunfjord@...>:

              > Great views can be found many places in Norway. The difference is that
              > viewing in person will keep you sane, while using this player will feel
              > like
              > rain, sleet, snow, dust and gravel blowing in your face, no matter where
              > you
              > try to turn your face. Horrible experience.

              Agreed. Terrible viewer. Not very good panos, with lots of shimmering (too
              much sharpening and contrast) and blownout areas.
              There are plans here in Norway to offer those types of panoramas to all
              tourist destinations.
              I have actually spent the 2 last weeks writing an email to the man in
              charge of this at visitnorway to warn about this plan, getting interrupted
              all the time, and starting over again and again...
              First, although the panos/views may be spectacular they will not give
              potential visitors any feeling of actually being there, because they are
              aerials. No real incentive to travel there IMO, which is the whole idea
              behind those panos. Aerials may work fine in many situations, but in such
              landscapes it is much more impressive being down on the ground looking up
              at a 1000m cliff than looking down from a helicopter hovering 1000m above
              it. The massive feeling of being in those fjords is second only to Iguacu
              falls (of the places I've seen in person), and you don't get that feeling
              by looking at aerial panos.
              Second, it will be a very expensive solution, starting at US$10,000 for a
              destination.
              Third, the viewer is terrible.

              Any more arguments I could/should use?
              I guess it's time that I hit that 'Send' button soon ;)

              I want a piece of that cake ;)
              But not the entire cake...
              Which is a problem, because they may hire a (big) company to do the whole
              of Norway.
              At least they have finally discovered the power of VR tours :)

              > Trausti
              >

              > On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 6:33 PM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:
              >

              >> Jesus, the player is HORRIBLE
              >> impossible to spend time looking at the panos ...
              >>
              >> Sorry
              >> I've never seen such a bad player
              >>
              >> AYRTON

              Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.
            • prague
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 30, 2010
                Yeah, I like it too. Sure, the viewer is awful by "our standards" but who cares? Remember also that this is a huge project - hundreds of panos - so you might lose that hand-crafted quality in exchange for, well, having hundreds of aerial panos with map and hotspots :)

                I noticed also that the panos load extremely fast. No watching the progress bar - from here, anyway. No one on this list ever seems to complain about that when viewing each other's panos, but this is for sure one of the biggest factors in keeping/losing visitors to a web page (and this has been measured in tenths of seconds).

                The panos also are a bit too contrasty for my taste - but they do "pop", that's for sure.

                Jeffrey

                > The viewer is horrible but the project looks great. I like it.
                >
                > Bostjan
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Andrei Zdetovetchi
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 31, 2010
                  When I first experienced that website, I was horrified. First by the weird vr
                  player. It makes me to go away from the website, because of it's lack of
                  usability and awful way of navigate. I don't understand why they had to reinvent
                  the wheel, only to came up with an oval one instead of round. There are LOTS of
                  way better pano players, and I'm convinced that the results of integrating those
                  features as seen there, are much better. I started to browse every corner of
                  MakingView website, trying to learn more about them. Too bad it's in norwegian
                  but with a little help from google translate, I can understand mostly of it. I
                  saw their examples of other virtual tours and projects, all of them using the
                  same crappy vr player (myVR 3D Panorama Viewer). And I had the same reaction, to
                  leave, because I did not feel good trying to navigate and experience those
                  tours. But I guess I have a little dose of masochism in me, because I kept going
                  :) I noticed that their panos are quite amateurish, with lots of stitching
                  errors, exposure issues, CA issues, and of course nadir issues, like tripods or
                  awful cloning patches.
                  Sadly, I'm getting more and more convinced that the regular people, customers,
                  those who watch our panoramas are not aware of this issues. The Wow! factor is
                  too great for them, to notice all the issues we're debating over each others
                  panoramas, trying to make them better and better. Only us are those who care...

                  So digging into MakingView website, I started to realise that I envy them more
                  and more. They have their own street view solution. They have powerfull
                  partners. C3 Tech AB, a spinout of SAAB (I guess you all know who Saab is...),
                  Nor Aviation (guess where from they have that heli) and others. They are
                  involved in projects so big, that I'm still trying to wrap my mind around.
                  Clearly they have access to powerful toys, too bad that their results looks too
                  amateurish if you ask me.
                  Happily, I found out that they use PangeaVR so if you want to watch their panos
                  with a good viewer, try this: http://kunder.makingview.no/iphone/demo.xml
                  Looking with my iPhone, I got into this pano
                  http://kunder.finnfoto.no/iphone/trollstigen.jpg and confirmed me that they are
                  using a street view like technology, to capture lots of panos from the
                  helicopter. Gosh they practically have their own helicopter, how can I not envy
                  them? :) And working for Visit Norway website (that website blew my mind since
                  ~2 years ago)
                  Somehow I wish to be in Norway and work with this company (my panos would be way
                  better, LOL) ;)

                  Best regards,
                  Andrei Zdetovetchi

                  CSVD - http://www.csvd.ro/
                  -
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/zdeto
                  http://www.vimeo.com/zdeto
                  http://www.twitter.com/zdeto
                  http://www.facebook.com/panorame

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 31, 2010
                    På Sun, 31 Oct 2010 13:17:40 +0100, skrev Andrei Zdetovetchi
                    <zdeto@...>:

                    > So digging into MakingView website, I started to realise that I envy
                    > them more
                    > and more. They have their own street view solution. They have powerfull
                    > partners. C3 Tech AB, a spinout of SAAB (I guess you all know who Saab
                    > is...),

                    Definitely a lot of power and money behind them!
                    Their 3D viewer is actually much better, and they offer full 3D maps from
                    a lot of places in Norway.
                    See http://kart.finn.no/ and click the 3D button (requires plugin).
                    Complete with 3D terrain and thousands of houses and trees.

                    > Nor Aviation (guess where from they have that heli) and others. They are
                    > involved in projects so big, that I'm still trying to wrap my mind
                    > around.
                    > Clearly they have access to powerful toys, too bad that their results
                    > looks too
                    > amateurish if you ask me.
                    > Happily, I found out that they use PangeaVR so if you want to watch
                    > their panos
                    > with a good viewer, try this: http://kunder.makingview.no/iphone/demo.xml
                    > Looking with my iPhone, I got into this pano
                    > http://kunder.finnfoto.no/iphone/trollstigen.jpg and confirmed me that
                    > they are
                    > using a street view like technology, to capture lots of panos from the
                    > helicopter. Gosh they practically have their own helicopter, how can I
                    > not envy
                    > them? :) And working for Visit Norway website (that website blew my mind
                    > since
                    > ~2 years ago)
                    > Somehow I wish to be in Norway and work with this company (my panos
                    > would be way
                    > better, LOL) ;)

                    The problem is that by living here you most likely would be working
                    against that company instead ;) Or at least that's what we have to do...
                    Another series of panos from their pilot project - same viewer and quality:
                    http://www.visitnorway.com/360/geiranger/

                    --
                    Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.
                  • Mark D. Fink
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 1, 2010
                      I'm wondering if the site statistics are showing a significant bump in
                      visitors all of a sudden...? :o)

                      I noticed that they have a place where you can add a comment, but only if
                      you have a Facebook account. I don't use Facebook, but those of you that do
                      might want to consider posting your opinions of the work there. That way,
                      it's hard for them to ignore the comments, since they are on the same page
                      as the content.

                      I like the fact that they have embraced VR in a big way, and that overall
                      their images are good, but they really should take a serious look at KRPano.

                      Mark

                      www.northernlight.net
                      www.virtual-travels.com
                      www.pinnacle-vr.com

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 1, 2010
                        På Mon, 01 Nov 2010 14:38:01 +0100, skrev Mark D. Fink
                        <markdfink@...>:

                        > I'm wondering if the site statistics are showing a significant bump in
                        > visitors all of a sudden...? :o)
                        >
                        > I noticed that they have a place where you can add a comment, but only if
                        > you have a Facebook account. I don't use Facebook, but those of you that
                        > do
                        > might want to consider posting your opinions of the work there. That way,
                        > it's hard for them to ignore the comments, since they are on the same
                        > page as the content.

                        Their FB page is at:
                        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hamar-Norway/Making-View-AS/145491882149310?ref=ts&v=wall

                        > I like the fact that they have embraced VR in a big way, and that overall
                        > their images are good, but they really should take a serious look at
                        > KRPano.

                        Yes they should - or FPP :)
                        Their glacier panos are badly overexposed/burnt-out though.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 1, 2010
                          This page shows Facebook comments right with their aerial VR content.

                          <http://www.visitnorway.com/en/Articles/Theme/Fjord-and-mountains/Fjord-guid
                          e/The-Geirangerfjord/The-Geirangerfjord-and-Alesund-area-from-a-birds-perspe
                          ctive/>

                          I'd post on this page to really get their attention.

                          Mark

                          www.northernlight.net
                          www.virtual-travels.com
                          www.pinnacle-vr.com

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 1, 2010
                            På Mon, 01 Nov 2010 15:48:17 +0100, skrev Mark D. Fink
                            <markdfink@...>:

                            > This page shows Facebook comments right with their aerial VR content.
                            >
                            > <http://www.visitnorway.com/en/Articles/Theme/Fjord-and-mountains/Fjord-guid
                            > e/The-Geirangerfjord/The-Geirangerfjord-and-Alesund-area-from-a-birds-perspe
                            > ctive/>
                            >
                            > I'd post on this page to really get their attention.

                            Depending whose attention you're seeking ;)
                            Your link is to visitnorway - the client, who needs to pay attention to
                            viewer
                            critic from pros IMO! They refused to listen to me, a single freelancer,
                            and just
                            says that all feedback have been very good so far.

                            If you want to contact and give feedback to the producers however, that
                            would be
                            the link I supplied, Making View AS (AS = Ltd)