protecting images debate

  • Tom Sparks
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 27, 2010
      I know that all the image protection methods are flawed;

      * right-click (uses javascript, lose all the right-click menu options)
      * transparent image (HTML source code)
      * javascript encryption (wont work on non javascripted enabled browsers)
      * flash (wont work on no flash enabled browsers, HTML source code)
      * images encrypted with flash (wont work on no flash enabled browsers)
      * watermarks (can be edited out)
      * metadata (can be removed)

      above all esle the image:
      * is in the browser cache
      * can be saved via web page complete
      * can be saved using print screen

      I want to hear the debate from both sides :)

      tom_a_sparks
      "It's a nerdy thing I like to do"
    • AYRTON
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 27, 2010
        On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 10:47 PM, Tom Sparks <tom_a_sparks@...>wrote:

        > I know that all the image protection methods are flawed;
        > * right-click (uses javascript, lose all the right-click menu options)
        > * transparent image (HTML source code)
        > * javascript encryption (wont work on non javascripted enabled browsers)
        > * flash (wont work on no flash enabled browsers, HTML source code)
        > * images encrypted with flash (wont work on no flash enabled browsers)
        > * watermarks (can be edited out)
        > * metadata (can be removed)
        > above all esle the image:
        > * is in the browser cache
        > * can be saved via web page complete
        > * can be saved using print screen
        > I want to hear the debate from both sides :)

        hehehehehe
        so ... what do you want to hear ???
        you tell us !
        :-)

        > tom_a_sparks
        > "It's a nerdy thing I like to do"

        + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
        + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
        http://ayrton360.com
        twitter.com/ayrton360

      • Trausti Hraunfjord
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 27, 2010
          I think the only available option left, is simply not to publish any images
          online or on other media.

          That will pretty much guarantee that one's images will not be abused by
          anyone in any way or form.

          Trausti

          On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Tom Sparks <tom_a_sparks@...>wrote:

          > I know that all the image protection methods are flawed;
          >
          > * right-click (uses javascript, lose all the right-click menu options)
          > * transparent image (HTML source code)
          > * javascript encryption (wont work on non javascripted enabled browsers)
          > * flash (wont work on no flash enabled browsers, HTML source code)
          > * images encrypted with flash (wont work on no flash enabled browsers)
          > * watermarks (can be edited out)
          > * metadata (can be removed)
          >
          > above all esle the image:
          > * is in the browser cache
          > * can be saved via web page complete
          > * can be saved using print screen
          >
          > I want to hear the debate from both sides :)
          >
          > tom_a_sparks
          > "It's a nerdy thing I like to do"

        • tom_a_sparks
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 27, 2010

            > I think the only available option left, is simply not to publish any images
            > online or on other media.
            >
            > That will pretty much guarantee that one's images will not be abused by
            > anyone in any way or form.
            >
            > Trausti
            but then the images are worthless
            how do you put a price tag on image nobody has seen?

            tom
          • AYRTON
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 27, 2010
              On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 11:55 PM, tom_a_sparks <tom_a_sparks@...>wrote:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Trausti Hraunfjord
              > <trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:
              > > I think the only available option left, is simply not to publish any
              > images
              > > online or on other media.
              > > That will pretty much guarantee that one's images will not be abused by
              > > anyone in any way or form.
              > > Trausti
              >

              > but then the images are worthless
              > how do you put a price tag on image nobody has seen?

              Welll that's a good way to protect them !
              no one will steal it from you
              :-)

              > tom

              + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
              + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
              http://ayrton360.com
              twitter.com/ayrton360

            • tom_a_sparks
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 27, 2010

                > On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 11:55 PM, tom_a_sparks <tom_a_sparks@...>wrote:
                >
                > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Trausti Hraunfjord
                > > <trausti.hraunfjord@> wrote:
                > > > I think the only available option left, is simply not to publish any
                > > images
                > > > online or on other media.
                > > > That will pretty much guarantee that one's images will not be abused by
                > > > anyone in any way or form.
                > > > Trausti
                > >

                > > but then the images are worthless
                > > how do you put a price tag on image nobody has seen?
                > >

                > Welll that's a good way to protect them !
                > no one will steal it from you
                > :-)
                but then what the point of creating the image if nobody see it?

                enjoyment/hobbie (most people want to cover the cost of their hobbies)?
                money?

                in-turn its back to the subject: protecting images
                tom
              • Thomas Krüger
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 27, 2010
                  A solution could be Picscout together with an account at PhotoShelter:
                  http://www.photoshelter.com/picscout

                  Otherwise we should go with Trausti's advise, which is the only secure
                  option.... ;-)

                  Presenting non-panorama images I use a watermark, presenting panorama images
                  in Flash the date & domain lock of the swf file works fine.

                  Have a look at SlideshowPro Director, there is also a plugin to upload from
                  Lightroom to SSP Director. They offer a 14-day trial hosted subscription.
                  http://slideshowpro.net/products/slideshowpro_director/

                • Keith Martin
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 28, 2010
                    Sometime around 27/10/10 (at 20:15 -0500) Trausti Hraunfjord said:

                    >I think the only available option left, is simply not to publish any images
                    >online or on other media.

                    Safer still to not take the shots in the first place. Otherwise they
                    could be stolen from your hard drive.

                    Seriously though, it is a valid concern, but if you worry too much
                    about it you'll just drive yourself mad. There's no single process
                    that's perfect. Some uses will indicate one approach, others a
                    different one. This could be because of the client or the kind of
                    image, or it could be because of technical requirements.

                  • tom_a_sparks
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 28, 2010

                      I looked at PicScout (http://www.picscout.com/), and it looks worth looking into....

                      > Otherwise we should go with Trausti's advise, which is the only secure
                      > option.... ;-)
                      >
                      > Presenting non-panorama images I use a watermark, presenting panorama images
                      > in Flash the date & domain lock of the swf file works fine.

                      I was think of using a watermark/logo and all the metadata options

                      > Have a look at SlideshowPro Director, there is also a plugin to upload from
                      > Lightroom to SSP Director. They offer a 14-day trial hosted subscription.
                      > http://slideshowpro.net/products/slideshowpro_director/

                      ok, but I want to do all the hosting at one place

                      tom
                    • Thomas Krüger
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 28, 2010
                        You can host the full version of SSP Director on your own webserver as a
                        central place for all your images.
                      • ptgroup
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 28, 2010
                          I think reducing the quality when published online (galleries, WWP etc etc)
                          is
                          one issue, so at least the high-quality image is not availabe online.
                          World-Pano-Stock requiers only 1300 px, this is a good approach I think.

                          Ciao
                          Mike

                          ----------------------------
                          ----------------------------
                          360? VR Fotografie:
                          http://www.360de.de

                          NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
                          http://www.abstraktfoto.de
                          -----------------------------
                          Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
                          http://virtugraf.wordpress.com
                          Sometime around 27/10/10 (at 20:15 -0500) Trausti Hraunfjord said:

                          >I think the only available option left, is simply not to publish any
                          images
                          >online or on other media.

                          Safer still to not take the shots in the first place. Otherwise they
                          could be stolen from your hard drive.

                          Seriously though, it is a valid concern, but if you worry too much
                          about it you'll just drive yourself mad. There's no single process
                          that's perfect. Some uses will indicate one approach, others a
                          different one. This could be because of the client or the kind of
                          image, or it could be because of technical requirements.

                        • Christian Bloch
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 28, 2010
                            Well, I think panoramas are generally safer than regular photos already. If you do multi-resolution krPano, your image is already cut up into pieces, makes it a pain to leech them all and puzzle them together. And screenshots are out of question, because you won't get the full pano.

                            But if you're really concerned here is a failsafe method for the paranoid:
                            http://www.petapixel.com/2010/10/07/copyright-embedding-tool-for-the-ultra-paranoid-photographer/

                            ;)

                            On Oct 27, 2010, at 5:47 PM, Tom Sparks wrote:

                            > I know that all the image protection methods are flawed;
                            >
                            > * right-click (uses javascript, lose all the right-click menu options)
                            > * transparent image (HTML source code)
                            > * javascript encryption (wont work on non javascripted enabled browsers)
                            > * flash (wont work on no flash enabled browsers, HTML source code)
                            > * images encrypted with flash (wont work on no flash enabled browsers)
                            > * watermarks (can be edited out)
                            > * metadata (can be removed)
                            >
                            > above all esle the image:
                            > * is in the browser cache
                            > * can be saved via web page complete
                            > * can be saved using print screen
                            >
                            > I want to hear the debate from both sides :)
                            >
                            > tom_a_sparks
                            > "It's a nerdy thing I like to do"

                          • Carlos Chegado - carloschegado.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 28, 2010
                              Thanks Christian,

                              What a great idea, the best one so far, and guaranteed that works;-)

                              I guess I might use one of those from now on, it's even the initial
                              letter of my name:-D

                              Os melhores cumprimentos,
                              Best regards,

                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                              Carlos Chegado

                              Olho de Peixe Lda
                              Rua Miguel Pais, 48 - B, 2830-356 Barreiro, Portugal
                              Tel: (+351) 210 88 91 92, Fax: (+351) 210 88 91 99

                              || Skype: carloschegado || facebook.com/carloschegado ||
                              twitter.com/carloschegado ||

                              www.xprints.com ||

                              || 360cities.net/profile/carlos-chegado || ivrpa.org/user/2153 ||

                              On 28-10-2010 17:00, Christian Bloch wrote:

                              > Well, I think panoramas are generally safer than regular photos
                              > already. If you do multi-resolution krPano, your image is already cut
                              > up into pieces, makes it a pain to leech them all and puzzle them
                              > together. And screenshots are out of question, because you won't get
                              > the full pano.
                              >
                              > But if you're really concerned here is a failsafe method for the paranoid:
                              > http://www.petapixel.com/2010/10/07/copyright-embedding-tool-for-the-ultra-paranoid-photographer/
                              >
                              > ;)

                            • Paulo Fernandes
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 28, 2010
                                I think you'll need to use two of them then :P

                                Com os melhores comprimentos,
                                Best Regards,

                                Paulo Fernandes
                                Multim�dia

                                Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multim�dia
                                Cal�ada do Lidador, 22, 1�Andar
                                4480-690 Vila do Conde - Portugal
                                Tel. +351 252 119 375 - Fax. +351 252 119 375

                                On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Carlos Chegado - carloschegado.com <
                                mail@...> wrote:

                                > Thanks Christian,
                                >
                                > What a great idea, the best one so far, and guaranteed that works;-)
                                >
                                > I guess I might use one of those from now on, it's even the initial
                                > letter of my name:-D
                                >
                                > Os melhores cumprimentos,
                                > Best regards,
                                >
                                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                >
                                > Carlos Chegado
                                >
                                > Olho de Peixe Lda
                                > Rua Miguel Pais, 48 - B, 2830-356 Barreiro, Portugal
                                > Tel: (+351) 210 88 91 92, Fax: (+351) 210 88 91 99
                                >
                                > || Skype: carloschegado || facebook.com/carloschegado ||
                                > twitter.com/carloschegado ||
                                >
                                > || Fotografia 360� �� www.carloschegado.com || www.olhodepeixe.pt ||
                                > www.xprints.com ||
                                >
                                > || 360cities.net/profile/carlos-chegado || ivrpa.org/user/2153 ||
                                >

                                > On 28-10-2010 17:00, Christian Bloch wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Well, I think panoramas are generally safer than regular photos
                                > > already. If you do multi-resolution krPano, your image is already cut
                                > > up into pieces, makes it a pain to leech them all and puzzle them
                                > > together. And screenshots are out of question, because you won't get
                                > > the full pano.
                                > >
                                > > But if you're really concerned here is a failsafe method for the
                                > paranoid:
                                > >
                                > http://www.petapixel.com/2010/10/07/copyright-embedding-tool-for-the-ultra-paranoid-photographer/
                                > >
                                > > ;)

                              • Neil Scott
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 28, 2010
                                  I use this, works well and you find out where your images are and its easy to use in photoshop https://www.digimarc.com/solutions/images/ the issue is what do you do when you find they have been used against your permission, how deep are your pockets!
                                • Roger Howard
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 28, 2010
                                    On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Neil Scott <spiritburner@...> wrote:

                                    > I use this, works well and you find out where your images are and its easy
                                    > to use in photoshop https://www.digimarc.com/solutions/images/ the issue
                                    > is what do you do when you find they have been used against your permission,
                                    > how deep are your pockets!

                                    I think Digimarc has lots its market, by and large, to services like
                                    PicScout or PixID which both provide similar services (continually looking
                                    for your images online) but don't depend on invisible watermarking - which
                                    is trivial to defeat - and will find derivatives (other sizes, formats, even
                                    crops) of your images.

                                    But none of these services offer protection - they provide after-the-fact
                                    notification, at best.