Re: Nikon D5000 with Samyang, bad idea?

  • Carl von Einem
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 26, 2010
      Posted by: "Hans" hans@... panoramicsdk
      > Date: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:07 am ((PDT))
      >
      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "lop" <lop_2@...> wrote:
      >> >
      >> > But don't forget that D5000 doesn't have a working exposure
      >> > meter with lenses without CPU (such as Samyang). So you
      >> > have to guess the right exposure or use an external exposure
      >> > meter.
      >> > I own Canon 350D and D5000 with a 10.5 Nikkor and for my 2nd
      >> > photographic set I rahter ordered a Samyang with a Canon
      >> > mount because of this.
      >> >

      > Yes as far as I know this goes for all Nikons.

      I own a lot of non-CPU Nikkor lenses and they sure work together with
      the light meter of my Nikon D300. Starting with the D200 and D2
      generation of Nikon DSLRs you can define lens presets for these older
      lenses (e.g. 8 mm f2.8) so also the EXIF values are correct. So I can
      use the camera's metering in Manual and AE mode.

      Simpler cameras like the D5000 not only lack the AF motor but also
      according to dpreview exposure metering doesn't work with this model,
      see <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/page2.asp> -> "Usable
      lenses" (and compare with
      <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond300/page2.asp>)

      Cheers,
      Carl

      ps.
      Manual metering even works with my new ZÖRK MFS + (non-CPU) enlarger lenses.