360 pano with Tokina 11-16 2.8

  • A Kielcz
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 25, 2010
      I have a problem stitching 16 images into pano taken with above lens.
      Which lens type should I select in PTGUI?
      Can I post my images somewhere for group to look at those images?
      Thank you!

      A Kielcz

      Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 25, 2010
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

        > I have a problem stitching 16 images into pano taken with above lens.
        > Which lens type should I select in PTGUI?

        Rectilinear

        > Can I post my images somewhere for group to look at those images?
        > Thank you!

        Try one of these free services:

        http://www.filedropper.com
        http://www.zshare.net
        http://www.sendspace.com
        http://www.sharesend.com
        http://www.rapidshare.com
        http://www.youshare.com

        John
      • A Kielcz
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 26, 2010
          Hi Group,
          Here I uploaded images of West Baden Resort Hotel Dome, but cannot stitch them.
          Could somebody please tell me what I did, am doing wrong? It never happened before.
          Link to images
          http://www.zshare.net/download/81997311b94aad8f/

          A Kielcz

          Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

          > I have a problem stitching 16 images into pano taken with above lens.

          > Which lens type should I select in PTGUI?

          Rectilinear

          > Can I post my images somewhere for group to look at those images?

          > Thank you!

          Try one of these free services:

          http://www.filedropper.com

          http://www.zshare.net

          http://www.sendspace.com

          http://www.sharesend.com

          http://www.rapidshare.com

          http://www.youshare.com

          John

        • Hans
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 26, 2010
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

            > Hi Group,
            > Here I uploaded images of West Baden Resort Hotel Dome, but cannot stitch them.
            > Could somebody please tell me what I did, am doing wrong? It never happened before.
            > Link to images
            > http://www.zshare.net/download/81997311b94aad8f/

            First of all I hope you know that you have to set your image type to rectilinear.
            If you import this images with default settings in PTGui you will get a setting for fisheyes.

            However thats probably not your main problem.
            First you have a lot of overlap .With 11.5 mm you only need 8 around. More overlap may increase the confusing which is typical for this kind of similar structures.
            The problem is that PTGui or Autopano will create connection between images which does not overlap at all because of similar structures all around.

            The only way to handle it is to create controlpoints between 2-3 images at atime until you have all connected.

            It seems to become more people having this problem as I seen at least 4 during the last month asking about it.
            I happened to find a subject which was perfect for a tutorial about this recently.
            http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/stitch-similar-structures/

            Of course i just used 7 images and that is much easier however the problem is the same and the work for correcting it increases a lot when doing multirow.

            Hans

            > A Kielcz
            >
            > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

          • John Houghton
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 26, 2010
              Be aware that the zenith and nadir images are both in an inconsistent orientation (landscape) and a different size to the other images (portrait). Ensure all the images are in the same orientation. They should all appear in the same orientation in the Source Images tab of PTGui. No control points were initially generated automatically between some pairs of images (none at all in the case of the zenith). With full size images, it may be possible to identify small unique features that would assist assigning control points manually. It also looks like a row of images is missing, since the nadir image doesn't match the lower row of images, as far as I can tell. All-in-all, a difficult set of images to stitch automatically. I would expect PTGui to stitch them well enough with a little help as Hans has suggested.

              John

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

              > Hi Group,
              > Here I uploaded images of West Baden Resort Hotel Dome, but cannot stitch them.
              > Could somebody please tell me what I did, am doing wrong? It never happened before.
              > Link to images
              > http://www.zshare.net/download/81997311b94aad8f/
              >
              > A Kielcz
              >
              > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

            • A Kielcz
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 26, 2010
                I really appreciate you and Hans taking time to shed some light on this problem. It never happened to me before. My Samyang 8mm was at Foto-tip for a focus ring adjustment and came back a day to late.
                Another question. What settings should I use for Samyang (I forgot).
                Thank you!

                A Kielcz

                Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

                Be aware that the zenith and nadir images are both in an inconsistent orientation (landscape) and a different size to the other images (portrait). Ensure all the images are in the same orientation. They should all appear in the same orientation in the Source Images tab of PTGui. No control points were initially generated automatically between some pairs of images (none at all in the case of the zenith). With full size images, it may be possible to identify small unique features that would assist assigning control points manually. It also looks like a row of images is missing, since the nadir image doesn't match the lower row of images, as far as I can tell. All-in-all, a difficult set of images to stitch automatically. I would expect PTGui to stitch them well enough with a little help as Hans has suggested.

                John

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

                > Hi Group,

                > Here I uploaded images of West Baden Resort Hotel Dome, but cannot stitch them.

                > Could somebody please tell me what I did, am doing wrong? It never happened before.

                > Link to images

                > http://www.zshare.net/download/81997311b94aad8f/

                > A Kielcz

                > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

                > --- On Tue, 10/26/10, John Houghton <j.houghton@...> wrote:

                > From: John Houghton <j.houghton@...>

                > Subject: [PanoToolsNG] Re: 360 pano with Tokina 11-16 2.8

                > To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com

                > Date: Tuesday, October 26, 2010, 1:53 AM

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, A Kielcz <roblee007@> wrote:

                > > I have a problem stitching 16 images into pano taken with above lens.

                > > Which lens type should I select in PTGUI?

                > Rectilinear

                > > Can I post my images somewhere for group to look at those images?

                > > Thank you!

                > Try one of these free services:

                > http://www.filedropper.com

                > http://www.zshare.net

                > http://www.sendspace.com

                > http://www.sharesend.com

                > http://www.rapidshare.com

                > http://www.youshare.com

                > John

              • John Houghton
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 26, 2010
                  I managed to get a reasonable, though not perfect, stitch using all the images except the nadir:

                  http://www.johnhpanos.com/AAKpano.jpg

                  It's difficult to tell whether the zenith is in the right position. It may not be.

                  As to the Samyang: it's a fullframe fisheye with a focal length nearer 9mm than 8mm.

                  John

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

                  > I really appreciate you and Hans taking time to shed some light on this problem. It never happened to me before. My Samyang 8mm was at Foto-tip for a focus ring adjustment and came back a day to late.
                  > Another question. What settings should I use for Samyang (I forgot).
                  > Thank you!
                  >
                  > A Kielcz
                  >
                  > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

                • A Kielcz