5D MK II & lens combos - how well do these work (for VR & stills)

  • LoveFilm
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 24, 2010
      Hi group.

      I have been thinking of upgrading my camera from Rebel XTi to Canon 5D MK II for some time now - the Rebel is great for general purpose VR work but I can not effectively use it in low light / event situations.

      Well - I just got a fantastic opportunity to shoot a bunch of event VR's for a high end client and will need to make that upgrade now.

      A few questions for those experienced with 5D MK II:

      I use my Rebel with Sigma 8mm f1.3 - pole panos 4 shots around.

      How does the 5D MK II work with this lens - anything I need to be aware of? Can I shoot a pano with just 3 shots using this combination?

      I will need to take some still photos as well but can not at this time afford to purchase any "L" series lenses for the 5D. I do own a Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro lens.

      Will I be able to use that lens to capture portrait shots on the 5D MK II?

      I also have a Canon Zoom EF 75 - 300mm but the quality is mediocre at best and I have not found it a particularly useful lens. I imagine that on the 5D - it would perform even worse.

      Any advice on the above combinations very much appreciated - I will have only a day or two at most to test before the events.

      And one last question: Anyone know of a good wireless solution for the 5D MK II that would allow me to reliably fire the shutter when the camera is above my head on a pole?

      Thanks!
    • Ricardo TVB
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 24, 2010
        > And one last question: Anyone know of a good wireless
        solution for the 5D MK II that would allow me to reliably
        fire the shutter when the camera is above my head on a pole?
        This remote control works fine for me:
        http://cgi.ebay.com/Cleon-Wireless-Remote-C8-Canon-1Ds-5D-Mk-II-III-/270651088355?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item3f040fdde3

        Em 24/10/2010 13:49, LoveFilm escreveu:

        > Hi group.
        >
        > I have been thinking of upgrading my camera from Rebel XTi
        > to Canon 5D MK II for some time now - the Rebel is great
        > for general purpose VR work but I can not effectively use
        > it in low light / event situations.
        >
        > Well - I just got a fantastic opportunity to shoot a bunch
        > of event VR's for a high end client and will need to make
        > that upgrade now.
        >
        > A few questions for those experienced with 5D MK II:
        >
        > I use my Rebel with Sigma 8mm f1.3 - pole panos 4 shots
        > around.
        >
        > How does the 5D MK II work with this lens - anything I
        > need to be aware of? Can I shoot a pano with just 3 shots
        > using this combination?
        >
        > I will need to take some still photos as well but can not
        > at this time afford to purchase any "L" series lenses for
        > the 5D. I do own a Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro lens.
        >
        > Will I be able to use that lens to capture portrait shots
        > on the 5D MK II?
        >
        > I also have a Canon Zoom EF 75 - 300mm but the quality is
        > mediocre at best and I have not found it a particularly
        > useful lens. I imagine that on the 5D - it would perform
        > even worse.
        >
        > Any advice on the above combinations very much appreciated
        > - I will have only a day or two at most to test before the
        > events.
        >
        > And one last question: Anyone know of a good wireless
        > solution for the 5D MK II that would allow me to reliably
        > fire the shutter when the camera is above my head on a pole?
        >
        > Thanks!

      • ptgroup
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 24, 2010
          8mm / 5D -> 3 shots should go with sufficient overlap.
          But 8mm wastes a lot of the sensor !
          10mm would be better, 12mm would be the same image-circle as the 8mm at the
          crop.

          Ciao
          Mike

          ----------------------------
          ----------------------------
          360° VR Fotografie:
          http://www.360de.de

          NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
          http://www.abstraktfoto.de
          -----------------------------
          Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
          http://virtugraf.wordpress.com

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 24, 2010
            I use
            : http://cgi.ebay.com/Plato-Wireless-Remote-C8-for-Canon-1D-1Ds-II-III-5D-7D_W0QQitemZ390194182011QQcategoryZ64345QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DMRU-625%252BUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D270651088355%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4758601394897387866#ht_3810wt_1139

            So far I am very satisfied.
            Lense... I use Sigma 8 mm, Nikkor 10.5 mm and Tokina 10-17 mm set at 12 mm
            (11~12 mm) for my action panos. 5MKII is the most optimal choice as I get the
            highest image resolution.

            Bostjan

            ________________________________
            > And one last question: Anyone know of a good wireless
            solution for the 5D MK II that would allow me to reliably
            fire the shutter when the camera is above my head on a pole?
            This remote control works fine for me:
            http://cgi.ebay.com/Cleon-Wireless-Remote-C8-Canon-1Ds-5D-Mk-II-III-/270651088355?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item3f040fdde3

            Em 24/10/2010 13:49, LoveFilm escreveu:

            > Hi group.
            >
            > I have been thinking of upgrading my camera from Rebel XTi
            > to Canon 5D MK II for some time now - the Rebel is great
            > for general purpose VR work but I can not effectively use
            > it in low light / event situations.
            >
            > Well - I just got a fantastic opportunity to shoot a bunch
            > of event VR's for a high end client and will need to make
            > that upgrade now.
            >
            > A few questions for those experienced with 5D MK II:
            >
            > I use my Rebel with Sigma 8mm f1.3 - pole panos 4 shots
            > around.
            >
            > How does the 5D MK II work with this lens - anything I
            > need to be aware of? Can I shoot a pano with just 3 shots
            > using this combination?
            >
            > I will need to take some still photos as well but can not
            > at this time afford to purchase any "L" series lenses for
            > the 5D. I do own a Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro lens.
            >
            > Will I be able to use that lens to capture portrait shots
            > on the 5D MK II?
            >
            > I also have a Canon Zoom EF 75 - 300mm but the quality is
            > mediocre at best and I have not found it a particularly
            > useful lens. I imagine that on the 5D - it would perform
            > even worse.
            >
            > Any advice on the above combinations very much appreciated
            > - I will have only a day or two at most to test before the
            > events.
            >
            > And one last question: Anyone know of a good wireless
            > solution for the 5D MK II that would allow me to reliably
            > fire the shutter when the camera is above my head on a pole?
            >
            > Thanks!_,_._,___

          • LoveFilm
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 24, 2010
              I have the Canon 10-16mm but it is an EFS lens and will not work with 5D.

              When you says "wastes a lot of the sensor" what is meant by this exactly? Is it that everything will appear further away in regards to using the Sigma 8mm on a 1.6 crop camera?

              > 8mm / 5D -> 3 shots should go with sufficient overlap.
              > But 8mm wastes a lot of the sensor !
              > 10mm would be better, 12mm would be the same image-circle as the 8mm at the
              > crop.
              >
              > Ciao
              > Mike
              >

              > ----------------------------
              > ----------------------------
              > 360° VR Fotografie:
              > http://www.360de.de
              >
              > NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
              > http://www.abstraktfoto.de
              > -----------------------------
              > Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
              > http://virtugraf.wordpress.com

            • Hans
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 24, 2010
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "LoveFilm" <lovefilm@...> wrote:

                > I have the Canon 10-16mm but it is an EFS lens and will not work with 5D.
                >
                > When you says "wastes a lot of the sensor" what is meant by this exactly? Is it that >everything will appear further away in regards to using the Sigma 8mm on a 1.6 crop >camera?

                If you use the 8mm on the 5D your resolution will be slightly less than you get with your Canon XTi

                The circle of the image is about 23mm which on the XTI fills all the sensor height which is 14.8x22.2

                On a fullframe camera you just fill half the sensor which is 24x36mm.
                So your resolution will be around 7600x3800 on the XTi and 7200x3600 on the 5D mark II

                Hans

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 24, 2010
                  Am 24.10.2010 20:27, schrieb LoveFilm:

                  > When you says "wastes a lot of the sensor" what is meant by this exactly?

                  You get less resolution. With the 5DII and an 8mm fisheye you get
                  equirectangular panoramas of about 7200 pixel width, just the same as
                  for the Rebel XTi. A 10mm fisheye would give you 9600 pixels, a 15mm one
                  14400. For details see
                  http://wiki.panotools.org/DSLR_spherical_resolution

                • LoveFilm
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 24, 2010
                    Thank you Hans for clarifying that for me. I can live with the slight resolution decrease, especially since I'll gain so much more in shooting flexibility with the improved ISO the 5D has. Besides, I rarely output panos larger than 6000 x 3000 anyways.

                    > If you use the 8mm on the 5D your resolution will be slightly less than you get with your Canon XTi
                    >
                    > The circle of the image is about 23mm which on the XTI fills all the sensor height which is 14.8x22.2
                    >
                    > On a fullframe camera you just fill half the sensor which is 24x36mm.
                    > So your resolution will be around 7600x3800 on the XTi and 7200x3600 on the 5D mark II
                    >
                    > Hans
                  • Thomas Krüger
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
                      Wireless solution:
                      http://martybugs.net/blog/blog.cgi/gear/Phottix-Strato-4-in-1-Trigger.html
                      With the Phottix Strato you can trigger up to 4 units (camera and flash
                      units).