Nikon D5000 with Samyang, bad idea?

  • enridp
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 23, 2010
      Hi, I'm trying to decide between Nikon D90 and D5000.
      The Price is really limiting my choice, and the D5000 is cheaper.
      But it doesn't have auto-focus motor, is this a problem with a Samyang 8mm?

      I was searching for D5000 and Samyang and I couldn't find anything :S

      Regards!
    • Hans
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 23, 2010
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "enridp" <enridp@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I'm trying to decide between Nikon D90 and D5000.
        > The Price is really limiting my choice, and the D5000 is cheaper.
        > But it doesn't have auto-focus motor, is this a problem with a Samyang 8mm?
        >
        > I was searching for D5000 and Samyang and I couldn't find anything :S

        I am not a Nikon photographer but the D5000 seems to be avery nice camera. It is the first cheap Nikon with AutoBracketing I seen.

        Judy has some very nice panoramas taken with the D5000+Samyang
        http://www.panoguide.com/forums/galleries/8583/

        Hans
      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 24, 2010
          On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 15:59:01 +0900, Hans <hans@...> wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "enridp" <enridp@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi, I'm trying to decide between Nikon D90 and D5000.
          >> The Price is really limiting my choice, and the D5000 is cheaper.
          >> But it doesn't have auto-focus motor, is this a problem with a Samyang
          >> 8mm?
          >>
          >> I was searching for D5000 and Samyang and I couldn't find anything :S
          >>

          > I am not a Nikon photographer but the D5000 seems to be avery nice
          > camera. It is the first cheap Nikon with AutoBracketing I seen.
          >
          > Judy has some very nice panoramas taken with the D5000+Samyang
          > http://www.panoguide.com/forums/galleries/8583/

          They are good, aren't they! A convincing demonstration of the quality
          that the Samyang can deliver, and an even more impressive demonstration
          of how to use HDR techniques without destroying the natural look of
          the scenery (although she is right on the edge of the envelope, in my
          humble opinion).

          Roger W.

          --
          Business: www.adex-japan.com
          Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 24, 2010

            > On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 15:59:01 +0900, Hans <hans@...> wrote:
            >

            > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "enridp" <enridp@> wrote:
            > >>
            > >> Hi, I'm trying to decide between Nikon D90 and D5000.
            > >> The Price is really limiting my choice, and the D5000 is cheaper.
            > >> But it doesn't have auto-focus motor, is this a problem with a Samyang
            > >> 8mm?
            > >>
            > >> I was searching for D5000 and Samyang and I couldn't find anything :S
            > >>

            > > I am not a Nikon photographer but the D5000 seems to be avery nice
            > > camera. It is the first cheap Nikon with AutoBracketing I seen.
            > >
            > > Judy has some very nice panoramas taken with the D5000+Samyang
            > > http://www.panoguide.com/forums/galleries/8583/
            >
            > They are good, aren't they! A convincing demonstration of the quality
            > that the Samyang can deliver, and an even more impressive demonstration
            > of how to use HDR techniques without destroying the natural look of
            > the scenery (although she is right on the edge of the envelope, in my
            > humble opinion).

            Yes especially when you know that she just been doing panoramas for around 10 months.

            Hans
          • enridp
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 24, 2010
              They looks good, but I'm not a photographer, and I need to shot my panos automatically, with remote control and without changing the focus and settings every time.
              Do you think it's possible this with a D5000? because it doesn't have auto-focus motor.
              I've read that for panoramas it's not neccesary because we need to shoot in Manual mode and fix the focus and aperture in our Samyang and that's all, even more, some people fix the samyang's "settings" with a tape.

              So I think the auto-focus motor it's not neccesary, and we can use the camera with remote control without problems, but I'm not sure :(

              Can somebody please confim that the auto-focus it's not neccesary?
              It's really difficult to me buy a camera like D5000 and D90 (I'm from Argentina and here the D90 are 2 salaries), and I want to make the right choice.

              Thanks!
              Enrique.

              PS: I was using P5100 and FC-E8 for a long time, but I need more quality, I bought the Samyang the last month.

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@> wrote:

              > > > I am not a Nikon photographer but the D5000 seems to be avery nice
              > > > camera. It is the first cheap Nikon with AutoBracketing I seen.
              > > >
              > > > Judy has some very nice panoramas taken with the D5000+Samyang
              > > > http://www.panoguide.com/forums/galleries/8583/
              > >
              > > They are good, aren't they! A convincing demonstration of the quality
              > > that the Samyang can deliver, and an even more impressive demonstration
              > > of how to use HDR techniques without destroying the natural look of
              > > the scenery (although she is right on the edge of the envelope, in my
              > > humble opinion).
              >

              > Yes especially when you know that she just been doing panoramas for around 10 months.
              >
              > Hans

            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 24, 2010
                On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 21:04:17 +0900, Hans <hans@...> wrote:

                >> > Judy has some very nice panoramas taken with the D5000+Samyang
                >> > http://www.panoguide.com/forums/galleries/8583/
                >>
                >> They are good, aren't they!

                > Yes especially when you know that she just been doing panoramas for
                > around 10 months.

                Wow! I am IMPRESSED!!

                Roger W.

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 24, 2010
                  On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 21:56:14 +0900, enridp <enridp@...> wrote:

                  > They looks good, but I'm not a photographer, and I need to shot my panos
                  > automatically, with remote control and without changing the focus and
                  > settings every time.
                  > Do you think it's possible this with a D5000? because it doesn't have
                  > auto-focus motor.

                  The answer is a simple and unqualified "yes." The focus motor is quite
                  unnecessary. What you have heard about manual settings is quite true.

                  Roger W.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 25, 2010
                    THANKS Roger!
                    You save me a few hundreds of dollars ^_^

                    > On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 21:56:14 +0900, enridp <enridp@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > They looks good, but I'm not a photographer, and I need to shot my panos
                    > > automatically, with remote control and without changing the focus and
                    > > settings every time.
                    > > Do you think it's possible this with a D5000? because it doesn't have
                    > > auto-focus motor.
                    >
                    > The answer is a simple and unqualified "yes." The focus motor is quite
                    > unnecessary. What you have heard about manual settings is quite true.
                    >
                    > Roger W.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Business: www.adex-japan.com
                    > Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger

                  • lop
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 25, 2010
                      But don't forget that D5000 doesn't have a working exposure meter with lenses without CPU (such as Samyang). So you have to guess the right exposure or use an external exposure meter.
                      I own Canon 350D and D5000 with a 10.5 Nikkor and for my 2nd photographic set I rahter ordered a Samyang with a Canon mount because of this.

                      Petr Bastan
                    • Paul Fretheim
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 25, 2010
                        While Judy Arndt's panoramas from British Columbia are beautiful and
                        have great color, the images are a bit soft. Maybe this could have been
                        corrected in Photoshop, but I think it would make sense to use a longer
                        lens and more exposures and the images would be sharper with better
                        distance detail.

                        I took a screen shot of part of the Morraine Lake pano and pasted it
                        into Photoshop and applied a little unsharp mask to it and it came out
                        pretty good, so maybe the Samyang 8 mm is OK if you add sharpening to
                        your workflow.

                        Paul Fretheim
                        Independence, CA
                      • Hans
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 25, 2010
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "lop" <lop_2@...> wrote:

                          > But don't forget that D5000 doesn't have a working exposure meter with lenses without CPU (such as Samyang). So you have to guess the right exposure or use an external exposure meter.
                          > I own Canon 350D and D5000 with a 10.5 Nikkor and for my 2nd photographic set I rahter ordered a Samyang with a Canon mount because of this.

                          Yes as far as I know this goes for all Nikons.
                          For a complete new beginner without photographic experience it may be a problem.
                          However reading the histogram and taking a sample is just as fast as using a lightmeter.

                          This thread might be of interest.
                          http://www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/8040/

                          Hans
                        • Hans
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 25, 2010
                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                            > While Judy Arndt's panoramas from British Columbia are beautiful and
                            > have great color, the images are a bit soft. Maybe this could have been
                            > corrected in Photoshop, but I think it would make sense to use a longer
                            > lens and more exposures and the images would be sharper with better
                            > distance detail.
                            >
                            > I took a screen shot of part of the Morraine Lake pano and pasted it
                            > into Photoshop and applied a little unsharp mask to it and it came out
                            > pretty good, so maybe the Samyang 8 mm is OK if you add sharpening to
                            > your workflow.

                            Sorry Paul but I have to disagree.
                            They have exactly the amount of unsharp mask needed for this subject.

                            A lot of people over sharpen panoramas with the result they look ugly and also increase in download considerably.
                            The art is actually to give it exactly the amount of sharpness that does not give you this very ugly look. Also with more sharpening you get shimmering while panning which is even more annoying.

                            Judy's panos has exactly enough and it is also exactly the subject which is very easy to go wrong with.
                            Only at 1024x768 the shimmering gets annoying.
                            BTW on the first pano this actually creates a very interesting almost natural effect in the water.

                            Hans
                          • Roger D. Williams
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 25, 2010
                              On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 01:19:14 +0900, Hans <hans@...> wrote:

                              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> While Judy Arndt's panoramas from British Columbia are beautiful and
                              >> have great color, the images are a bit soft. Maybe this could have been
                              >> corrected in Photoshop, but I think it would make sense to use a longer
                              >> lens and more exposures and the images would be sharper with better
                              >> distance detail.
                              >>
                              >> I took a screen shot of part of the Morraine Lake pano and pasted it
                              >> into Photoshop and applied a little unsharp mask to it and it came out
                              >> pretty good, so maybe the Samyang 8 mm is OK if you add sharpening to
                              >> your workflow.
                              >>

                              > Sorry Paul but I have to disagree.
                              > They have exactly the amount of unsharp mask needed for this subject.
                              >
                              > A lot of people over sharpen panoramas with the result they look ugly
                              > and also increase in download considerably.
                              > The art is actually to give it exactly the amount of sharpness that does
                              > not give you this very ugly look. Also with more sharpening you get
                              > shimmering while panning which is even more annoying.
                              >
                              > Judy's panos has exactly enough and it is also exactly the subject which
                              > is very easy to go wrong with.
                              > Only at 1024x768 the shimmering gets annoying.
                              > BTW on the first pano this actually creates a very interesting almost
                              > natural effect in the water.

                              Although I cannot claim to have more than a small fraction of Hans'
                              knowledge and experience, I would have to agree. Although I can't claim
                              to always find exactly the right amount of sharpening, I have seen for
                              myself the ugliness you get when you overstep that fine line. For me,
                              the answer has been to examine the "look" in association with the
                              amount of zoom-in I am prepared to allow to viewers. If you allow them
                              to zoom in too far, they're going to have a blurry image. How far is
                              too far? Difficult to say, as screen sizes are getting bigger and
                              screen resolutions increasing. But avoiding that over-sharp "shimmer"
                              is the idea. Judy seems to be hitting a very good average. I wish I
                              had been that good after less than a year of making panoramas!

                              Roger W.

                              --
                              Business: www.adex-japan.com
                              Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                            • Carl von Einem
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 26, 2010
                                Posted by: "Hans" hans@... panoramicsdk
                                > Date: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:07 am ((PDT))
                                >
                                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "lop" <lop_2@...> wrote:
                                >> >
                                >> > But don't forget that D5000 doesn't have a working exposure
                                >> > meter with lenses without CPU (such as Samyang). So you
                                >> > have to guess the right exposure or use an external exposure
                                >> > meter.
                                >> > I own Canon 350D and D5000 with a 10.5 Nikkor and for my 2nd
                                >> > photographic set I rahter ordered a Samyang with a Canon
                                >> > mount because of this.
                                >> >

                                > Yes as far as I know this goes for all Nikons.

                                I own a lot of non-CPU Nikkor lenses and they sure work together with
                                the light meter of my Nikon D300. Starting with the D200 and D2
                                generation of Nikon DSLRs you can define lens presets for these older
                                lenses (e.g. 8 mm f2.8) so also the EXIF values are correct. So I can
                                use the camera's metering in Manual and AE mode.

                                Simpler cameras like the D5000 not only lack the AF motor but also
                                according to dpreview exposure metering doesn't work with this model,
                                see <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/page2.asp> -> "Usable
                                lenses" (and compare with
                                <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond300/page2.asp>)

                                Cheers,
                                Carl

                                ps.
                                Manual metering even works with my new ZÖRK MFS + (non-CPU) enlarger lenses.