Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye

  • Carlos Chegado - carloschegado.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 23, 2010
      Any brave soul out there wants to be the first to shoot some panos with
      the Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye and let us know how good is it?

      Amazon just started to take pre-orders of this lens:

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040X4OZU

      --

      Os melhores cumprimentos,
      Best regards,

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Carlos Chegado

      Olho de Peixe Lda
      Rua Miguel Pais, 48 - B, 2830-356 Barreiro, Portugal
      Tel: (+351) 210 88 91 92, Fax: (+351) 210 88 91 99

      || Skype: carloschegado || facebook.com/carloschegado ||
      twitter.com/carloschegado ||

      www.xprints.com ||

      || 360cities.net/profile/carlos-chegado || ivrpa.org/user/2153 ||

    • Bostjan Burger
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 23, 2010
        I have ordered it about month ago. The delivery is expected in the mid January -
        at last in Slovenia. In mean time I bought Tokina 10-17, shaved it and I am very
        pleased with the picture quality resoult. As it is a very light lense and Canon
        8-15 seems quite heavy I am seriously considering to cancel the order. I have
        Canon 15 mm and I don't see much difference between the Tokina at 15 mm.

        Bostjan

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 23, 2010
          Bostjan,

          Yes, I think exactly the same.
          I already have the Canon 15mm Fisheye, the Tokina 107 Fisheye, the
          Nikkor 10.5 Fisheye, the Sigma 8mm Fisheye, etc, will be very hard for
          me to justify another fisheye lens purchase, unless the benefit in
          quality is such that replaces a couple of my current lenses for the better.

          Lets wait and see ;-)

          Os melhores cumprimentos,
          Best regards,

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          On 23-10-2010 16:53, Bostjan Burger wrote:

          > I have ordered it about month ago. The delivery is expected in the mid
          > January -
          > at last in Slovenia. In mean time I bought Tokina 10-17, shaved it and
          > I am very
          > pleased with the picture quality resoult. As it is a very light lense
          > and Canon
          > 8-15 seems quite heavy I am seriously considering to cancel the order.
          > I have
          > Canon 15 mm and I don't see much difference between the Tokina at 15 mm.

        • Hans
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 23, 2010

            > I have ordered it about month ago. The delivery is expected in the mid January -
            > at last in Slovenia. In mean time I bought Tokina 10-17, shaved it and I am very
            > pleased with the picture quality resoult. As it is a very light lense and Canon
            > 8-15 seems quite heavy I am seriously considering to cancel the order. I have
            > Canon 15 mm and I don't see much difference between the Tokina at 15 mm.

            If you can not see any difference you have not done a real test.

            Here is my test of Canon 15mm and Tokina 10-17 at 15mm
            http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/canon-tokina/

            Hans

            > Bostjan
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Bostjan Burger
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 23, 2010
              I don't need to make tests. For my way of work my subyective experience of the
              resoult counts. It is a diffrence between the lenses technically ... but not
              such a big one with the final VR images.

              Bostjan

              ________________________________
              > I have ordered it about month ago. The delivery is expected in the mid January
              >-
              >
              > at last in Slovenia. In mean time I bought Tokina 10-17, shaved it and I am
              >very
              >
              > pleased with the picture quality resoult. As it is a very light lense and Canon
              >
              > 8-15 seems quite heavy I am seriously considering to cancel the order. I have

              > Canon 15 mm and I don't see much difference between the Tokina at 15 mm.

              If you can not see any difference you have not done a real test.

              Here is my test of Canon 15mm and Tokina 10-17 at 15mm
              http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/canon-tokina/

            • Keith Davison
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 23, 2010
                Interesting, did you use manual or AF for these shots?

                Keith

                > If you can not see any difference you have not done a real test.
                >
                > Here is my test of Canon 15mm and Tokina 10-17 at 15mm
                > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/canon-tokina/
                >
                > Hans
              • Hans
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 23, 2010
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Davison" <megakd@...> wrote:

                  > Interesting, did you use manual or AF for these shots?
                  >
                  > Keith
                  >
                  > > If you can not see any difference you have not done a real test.
                  > >
                  > > Here is my test of Canon 15mm and Tokina 10-17 at 15mm
                  > > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/canon-tokina/

                  They are focused manually with Live View

                  Hans
                • Bruce Hemming
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 24, 2010
                    Like Carlos I want one but can't really justify buying one - then
                    again..........;-) "Not that we needed all that for the trip, but
                    once you get into a serious drug (LENS) collection, the tendency is to
                    push it as far as you can." With apologies to, and great respect of,
                    Hunter S Thompson

                    Bruce Hemming
                    Bruce Hemming Photography
                    Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
                    Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
                    e-Mail: bruce@...
                    Skype: bhemmingphoto
                    web :http://www.bhphoto.biz/

                  • luca vascon
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 25, 2010
                      So...
                      I'm a lens collector. I'm a FISHEYE collector. And a test lens addicted
                      too..

                      I agree with HANS!!!!!
                      My tests lead to consider 10-17 tokina a good lens at all, worth the money,
                      and really flexible.

                      Said that it was easily outperformed by a lot of other lenses I tried.
                      Another thing to consider is lens SAMPLES!! For instance, 15mm Canon I
                      tested is NOT as sharp as Hans' example, a bit better than Tokina but not so
                      much.
                      And 15mm Sigma in my hands IS as good as Hans' Canon, I think.

                      2010/10/24 Bruce Hemming <bruce@...>

                      > Like Carlos I want one but can't really justify buying one - then
                      > again..........;-) "Not that we needed all that for the trip, but
                      > once you get into a serious drug (LENS) collection, the tendency is to
                      > push it as far as you can." With apologies to, and great respect of,
                      > Hunter S Thompson
                      >
                      > Bruce Hemming
                      > Bruce Hemming Photography
                      > Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
                      > Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
                      > e-Mail: bruce@...
                      > Skype: bhemmingphoto
                      > web :http://www.bhphoto.biz/

                      Luca Vascon.

                      www.canalview.it
                      www.officinepanottiche.com

                    • Hans
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 25, 2010
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

                        > So...
                        > I'm a lens collector. I'm a FISHEYE collector. And a test lens addicted
                        > too..
                        >
                        > I agree with HANS!!!!!
                        > My tests lead to consider 10-17 tokina a good lens at all, worth the money,
                        > and really flexible.
                        >
                        > Said that it was easily outperformed by a lot of other lenses I tried.
                        > Another thing to consider is lens SAMPLES!! For instance, 15mm Canon I
                        > tested is NOT as sharp as Hans' example, a bit better than Tokina but not so
                        > much.
                        > And 15mm Sigma in my hands IS as good as Hans' Canon, I think.

                        The Tokina is fine at 10-12mm. Just as good as Nikkor 10.5mm actually I would call it superior to the 10.5 as the 10.5mm also reduces the resolution at the 160-180 area with 20%.

                        Regarding the Sigma 15mm I got this Canon-Sigma test sent to me by John Houghton.
                        http://www.gletscherbruch.de/foto/test/fisheye/fish.html

                        Hans

                        > 2010/10/24 Bruce Hemming <bruce@...>
                        >
                        > > Like Carlos I want one but can't really justify buying one - then
                        > > again..........;-) "Not that we needed all that for the trip, but
                        > > once you get into a serious drug (LENS) collection, the tendency is to
                        > > push it as far as you can." With apologies to, and great respect of,
                        > > Hunter S Thompson
                        > >
                        > > Bruce Hemming
                        > > Bruce Hemming Photography
                        > > Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
                        > > Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
                        > > e-Mail: bruce@...
                        > > Skype: bhemmingphoto
                        > > web :http://www.bhphoto.biz/

                        > > --
                        > >

                        > --
                        > Luca Vascon.
                        >
                        > www.canalview.it
                        > www.officinepanottiche.com

                      • Luca Vascon
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 25, 2010

                          > The Tokina is fine at 10-12mm. Just as good as Nikkor 10.5mm actually I
                          > would call it superior to the 10.5 as the 10.5mm also reduces the resolution
                          > at the 160-180 area with 20%.
                          >
                          > Regarding the Sigma 15mm I got this Canon-Sigma test sent to me by John
                          > Houghton.
                          > http://www.gletscherbruch.de/foto/test/fisheye/fish.html
                          >
                          > Hans

                          Interesting link, thanx!
                          The 15mm Canon I had been testing has probably something that is not ok.
                          The results I had with the Sigma are actually very very close to the ones
                          John brings out. Slightly better at the borders after CA correction. The
                          lens has sweet spot at f8, weak borders at f2.8 with vignetting, recovering
                          and beeing good from 3.5.
                          I heard good and bad things about the 15mm Canon, but I see good results
                          from you, John and others. We all know sigma had some problems in uniformity
                          of production, specially with some difficult lenses as 12-24 fullframe,
                          maybe there is a bunch of weak 15Canon?

                          Very curious to see 8-15.

                        • Matthew Rogers
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 2, 2010
                            The due date of the lens has now been pushed out to March 2011 so I guess we'll be seeing it in May :(

                            Matt

                            On 25 Oct 2010, at 15:16, Luca Vascon wrote:

                            > > The Tokina is fine at 10-12mm. Just as good as Nikkor 10.5mm actually I
                            > > would call it superior to the 10.5 as the 10.5mm also reduces the resolution
                            > > at the 160-180 area with 20%.
                            > >
                            > > Regarding the Sigma 15mm I got this Canon-Sigma test sent to me by John
                            > > Houghton.
                            > > http://www.gletscherbruch.de/foto/test/fisheye/fish.html
                            > >
                            > > Hans
                            > >

                            > Interesting link, thanx!
                            > The 15mm Canon I had been testing has probably something that is not ok.
                            > The results I had with the Sigma are actually very very close to the ones
                            > John brings out. Slightly better at the borders after CA correction. The
                            > lens has sweet spot at f8, weak borders at f2.8 with vignetting, recovering
                            > and beeing good from 3.5.
                            > I heard good and bad things about the 15mm Canon, but I see good results
                            > from you, John and others. We all know sigma had some problems in uniformity
                            > of production, specially with some difficult lenses as 12-24 fullframe,
                            > maybe there is a bunch of weak 15Canon?
                            >
                            > Very curious to see 8-15.

                          • bigwade
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 2, 2010
                              Sig/canon (http://www.gletscherbruch.de/foto/test/fisheye/fish.html) is a
                              matter of production and focus.
                              Hans, you ever had a RAW file for download (not sure, panoguide?) and it's
                              not better or worse than my Sig 15 IMHO
                              MY Tokina @15mm is worse :-)

                            • Hans
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 2, 2010
                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, bigwade <celsius@...> wrote:

                                > Sig/canon (http://www.gletscherbruch.de/foto/test/fisheye/fish.html) is a
                                > matter of production and focus.
                                > Hans, you ever had a RAW file for download (not sure, panoguide?) and it's
                                > not better or worse than my Sig 15 IMHO
                                > MY Tokina @15mm is worse :-)

                                I never had aSigma 15mm but I have this test comparing the Tokina and the Canon at 15mm.
                                http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/canon-tokina/

                                Hans
                              • panovrx
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 2, 2010

                                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, bigwade <celsius@> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > Sig/canon (http://www.gletscherbruch.de/foto/test/fisheye/fish.html) is a
                                  > > matter of production and focus.
                                  > > Hans, you ever had a RAW file for download (not sure, panoguide?) and it's
                                  > > not better or worse than my Sig 15 IMHO
                                  > > MY Tokina @15mm is worse :-)
                                  >

                                  > I never had aSigma 15mm but I have this test comparing the Tokina and the Canon at 15mm.
                                  > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/canon-tokina/
                                  >
                                  > Hans

                                  Compared with a Nikkor 10.5mm my Sigma 15mm has a different kind of flare behavior -- ie. a general veiling haze compared to the more compact (and often more retouchable) flare artefacts of the Nikkor. The Nikkor is much sharper wide open but stopped down they have the same sort of sharpness I would say. The Nikkor shaved has 200 degrees of coverage on full frame - which has its particular uses.

                                  Peter M
                                • luca vascon
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 4, 2010

                                    > Compared with a Nikkor 10.5mm my Sigma 15mm has a different kind of flare
                                    > behavior -- ie. a general veiling haze compared to the more compact (and
                                    > often more retouchable) flare artefacts of the Nikkor. The Nikkor is much
                                    > sharper wide open but stopped down they have the same sort of sharpness I
                                    > would say. The Nikkor shaved has 200 degrees of coverage on full frame -
                                    > which has its particular uses.
                                    >
                                    > Peter M
                                    >
                                    > I agree any single word, but the Sigma 15 I have is really not so bad in
                                    flare, after all.
                                    I used any single degree of the 10.5, has its uses, really. Not a matter of
                                    stitching-picture area, but of aid for color blending and control point
                                    placing (even if the maths we use are not dealing really precisely with
                                    it!!)