HDR book

  • Tom Sparks
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 19, 2010
      Is the a HDR book that can be used as a companion book to the Virtual Reality Photography book?

      tom_a_sparks
      "It's a nerdy thing I like to do"
    • Christian Bloch
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 19, 2010
        Well, I would naturally recommend my own book ;) , which is to my knowledge the only one that covers spherical HDR panos. But unless you're in a hurry I do recommend waiting for the second revision, which I'm currently writing on. Probably out in March 2011 (fingers crossed)

        http://www.hdri-handbook.com

        On Oct 19, 2010, at 6:45 PM, Tom Sparks wrote:

        > Is the a HDR book that can be used as a companion book to the Virtual Reality Photography book?
        >
        > tom_a_sparks
        > "It's a nerdy thing I like to do"

      • Bjørn K Nilssen
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 19, 2010
          På Wed, 20 Oct 2010 03:53:35 +0200, skrev Christian Bloch
          <Blochi@...>:

          > Well, I would naturally recommend my own book ;) , which is to my
          > knowledge the only one that covers spherical HDR panos. But unless
          > you're in a hurry I do recommend waiting for the second revision, which
          > I'm currently writing on. Probably out in March 2011 (fingers crossed)
          >
          > http://www.hdri-handbook.com

          That's a very good recommendation, which I fully support :)
          It's a very good book!

          What will be new/changed in the next revision?

          --
          Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.
        • Christian Bloch
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 19, 2010
            On Oct 19, 2010, at 11:34 PM, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:

            > That's a very good recommendation, which I fully support :)
            > It's a very good book!
            >
            > What will be new/changed in the next revision?

            New Cover.

            ;)

            Nah, just kidding, it's a pretty substantial update actually. Was very necessary, the HDR world was making leaps in the last years. But let me ask you this way: What would you like to be changed?

            Blochi
          • Bjørn K Nilssen
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 20, 2010
              På Wed, 20 Oct 2010 08:56:10 +0200, skrev Christian Bloch
              <Blochi@...>:

              > On Oct 19, 2010, at 11:34 PM, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:
              >
              >> That's a very good recommendation, which I fully support :)
              >> It's a very good book!
              >>
              >> What will be new/changed in the next revision?
              >

              > New Cover.
              >
              > ;)
              >
              > Nah, just kidding, it's a pretty substantial update actually. Was very
              > necessary, the HDR world was making leaps in the last years. But let me
              > ask you this way: What would you like to be changed?

              It is a very nice mix of theory and practical use, and with great print
              quality (unlike most LW books).
              That's the probllem - I can't really think of anything that I would like
              to see changed ;)
              Except for updates on currently available software and new techniques.
              As I'm primarily a 3D guy (mostly using LightWave and SketchUp) I wouldn't
              mind getting more about that particular area of the HDR world.
              And linear workflow, which I'm struggling with.

              Being far away from where the action is with HDR I wasn't even aware of
              that the HDR world had been making any big leaps recently.

              Will it be available as eBook too?

              --
              Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.
            • jrgen_schrader
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 20, 2010
                >>> But let me ask you this way: What would you like to be changed?

                Muhahaha, nice try, Christian, but if we would know what needs to be changed we wouldn't need the book ;)

                You are the man with his hands on the pulse of HDRI and with your recent book you have proven that with your knowledge you can help us to get the best out of it.

                Some parts were easy to understand others not, but I don't think that this is due to the book or your writing but more or less due to the individual knowledge base of each reader.

                With the recent book I always had the feeling that with it's help I could get to where I wanted if only I would take the time and patience to study carefully enough.

                And with becoming HDR and all application more and more complex it is highly appreciated that someone like you is willing to share his experience and latest developments.

                As HDR imaging is an essential part of the CGI world and your daily work, most people here (in the panoramic world) might be more interested in the use and workflow of such techniques regarding the panoramic image itself. A part that in the first edition could have been emphasized a bit more ...

                Anyway, you know you did a great job and I am trustful it will not get worse ;)

                Best
                Jürgen

                > On Oct 19, 2010, at 11:34 PM, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:
                >
                > > That's a very good recommendation, which I fully support :)
                > > It's a very good book!
                > >
                > > What will be new/changed in the next revision?
                >

                > New Cover.
                >
                > ;)
                >
                > Nah, just kidding, it's a pretty substantial update actually. Was very necessary, the HDR world was making leaps in the last years. But let me ask you this way: What would you like to be changed?
                >
                > Blochi

              • Greg Nuspel
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 20, 2010
                  I have several HDR books and this is the best one in my opinion.

                  Greg

                  Well, I would naturally recommend my own book ;) , which is to my knowledge the only one that covers spherical HDR panos. But unless you're in a hurry I do recommend waiting for the second revision, which I'm currently writing on. Probably out in March 2011 (fingers crossed)

                  http://www.hdri-handbook.com

                  On Oct 19, 2010, at 6:45 PM, Tom Sparks wrote:

                  > Is the a HDR book that can be used as a companion book to the Virtual Reality Photography book?
                  >
                  > tom_a_sparks
                  > "It's a nerdy thing I like to do"

                • paul womack
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 20, 2010
                    jrgen_schrader wrote:

                    > Muhahaha, nice try, Christian, but if we would know what needs to be changed we wouldn't need the book ;)

                    Indeed. A Donald Rumsfeld "unknown unknown"

                    BugBear (who was always baffled that that speech got ridiculed)
                  • Christian Bloch
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 20, 2010

                      > As HDR imaging is an essential part of the CGI world and your daily work, most people here (in the panoramic world) might be more interested in the use and workflow of such techniques regarding the panoramic image itself. A part that in the first edition could have been emphasized a bit more ...

                      Yes, a tutorial is actually planned for rendering virtual camera pans out of a pano. It struck me at the Pano conference that someone actually made it by screencapturing krPano, which is clearly not the right way to do it. This would probably be interesting for photographers... Considering going a step further and covering re-projection on simple geometry, so you can make fake dolly shots. This is what many 3d guys are actually asking about.

                      eBook: Well, the current one is already available as eBook, from SafariBooks Online. But they are missing the DVD, which you will notice when you actually want to follow one of the tutorials. My publisher RockyNook has started to auto-convert all books to iPub format, but honestly I don't think this is the best way to do it. Every medium has its specific advantages and disadvantages. That's why the website is highly compartmentalized, with short texts for the quick read, and peppered with interactive stuff (forum, user ratings, comment boxes). The book format on the other hand has more elaborate descriptions, a very linear text flow (one thing leads to another), high-res color photos. An ebook, especially for the iPad, would ideally be somewhere in the middle. Instead of ten little screenshots a screen capture clip. Before/After comparisons. Zoomable images.

                      So yes, there will be an ebook, but it will take me a while and I want to get the paper version out the door first.

                      Blochi