Re: [PanoToolsNG] Any experience with the Pentax K-7?

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 10, 2010
      On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 00:39:27 +0900, Peter <peter@...> wrote:

      > I've been reading good reviews of the Pentax K-7 and am considering
      > purchasing this DSLR camera because of its ruggedness and price, among
      > other considerations.
      >
      > Do you have any experience with this camera shooting traditional
      > stitched panos or VR panos? If so, what lens have you used?
      >
      > Can you recommend the camera for VR/panos? What do you like about it?
      > What DON'T you like about it, if anything?
      >
      > Please share you experience. Thanks in advance for your advice.

      Although I don't have experience of the K-7 I do have considerable
      experience with the K-x, its younger brother. The guy who sold me
      my K-x had bought the K-7, which is certainly more rugged. Its only
      disadvantage was that the K-7 does not have quite such good low-
      noise performance. The K-x is excellent in this respect.

      On thing you will like is the logical and easily understood set of
      menus and controls. I had to spend a couple of days studying the
      manual of my D300 before I could get the hang of it, and set up
      the defaults I was happy with. The K-x (and I assume the K-7) has
      never needed me to RTFM.

      If you use a simple M42 to K adaptor, you can use a Peleng 8mm fisheye,
      which will give you an almost full-frame image (slight cut-off in the
      corners) and allow you to take 360 x 180 panoramers with four shots
      at 90 degrees (easy to do by eye on a monopod). If you use a ring
      mount and tilt the camera until the diagonal of the sensor is vertical,
      I believe you can get away with three shots, although if people or
      things are moving around you won't have enough overlap to deal with
      seam problems. Or, since Pelengs are getting arther expensive these
      days, you might prefer to get a Samyang 8mm, although it will not be
      possible to make three-shot panoramas because of the lower
      effective FOV. Mind you, the Peleng has its own problems, so I'm
      not giving it an unqualified recommendation, just saying I am happy
      with it myself.

      But one of the nicest things about the K-7/K-x is that you can get
      the Pentax version of the Tokina 10-17mm zoom fisheye. This is one
      of the best zoom lenses available for VR/panos. You will need to
      shoot six around, plus zenith and/or nadir shots.

      You will need to run your four/six/eight shots through a program
      that can remove chromatic aberrations. But that's not a problem of
      Pentax camera/lens combinations alone.

      The K-r has just come out in Japan. Maybe you should consider that,
      too...?

      Roger W.

      --
      Business: www.adex-japan.com