HTML5 is the future.... literally.

  • blueslander
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2010
      http://www.neowin.net/news/w3c-says-to-hold-off-on-using-html5

      W3C, the World Wide Web Consortium has deemed HTML5 not yet be ready to deploy in web applications. Microsoft, Google, Apple, Mozilla, and Opera have all added some bit of support of the HTML5 specification into their browsers, but W3C claims that it isn't polished enough, nor supported enough for general use yet.

      Philippe Le Hegaret, from W3C said that most of the current implementation is in the beta versions of browsers and that the APIs, as well as cross-browser compatibility just aren't up to where they need to be to implement the features into websites. Infoworld reports that Le Hegaret still acknowledged HTML5 as a "game changer," just that as of now using Adobe's Flash or Microsoft's Silverlight is a better choice until the features can be properly documented and supported.

      Apple has been pushing HTML5 with leaving off support for Flash on their iOS devices, but the W3C does not feel that it is time to retire Flash yet. Currently they are aiming for HTML5 to be feature complete by mid-2011, and expected to be approved in two to three years. Le Hegaret still sees huge gaps in the new HTML specification, such as lack of a video codec, Digital Rights Management support, and authoring tools.

      The lack of an agreed video codec lies in patent issues since HTML5 is to be an open platform. H.264 however was recently stated to stay royalty-free. The codec which is already in use by Interent Explorer 9, Chrome, and Safari has a good chance at becoming the standard, knowing now it will stay royalty free. DRM in an open system wouldn't work out, as "it would be broken by a hacker within two days," Le Hegaret stated. Authoring tools are also at a loss, but Adobe offers one that works in conjunction with their Creative Suite package.

      W3C may see HTML5 as unfit to use as of now, but there still are plenty of components that are well supported across browsing platforms. Webmasters just need to be cautious on what they choose to include as of now for maximum compatibility.

      ====================

      As I have said earlier: It is ok that people jump off the train when they believe it is the right time, but it is safest and best to wait until the train reaches the station.

      2-3 years... probably closer to 5-6 years.

      Enjoy reality, since it is here .... NOW!

      Trausti
    • Henri Smeets
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2010
        Sigh, no need to jump off anything when you ride both!

        Looking forward to your next reiteration on the subject Trausti!
      • Isaac Garcia
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2010
          Leave Trausti alone ;)

          Anybody who did not see this was, quite frankly, delusional. Or did not have
          an inkling about the workings of HTML in general and the W3C Working Groups
          in particular.

          Not to mention that even webkit, with all the pretty things you can do via
          HTML/CSS, has only limited support for it (even if ot supports webkit
          panos).

          Right now, according to http://html5test.com/ Firefox 4b3 gets 190 points,
          Safari 5.0.2 207 points, and Chrome 6.0.472.63 scores 217 points; all out of
          a possible 300 points.

          So, like Trausti has pointed out quite often, unless you´re targetting one
          very specific platform, flash works now and HTML/CSS not quite.

          Cheers from a-too-hot-for-this-time-of-the-year Madrid.

          On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Henri Smeets <henri@...> wrote:

          > Sigh, no need to jump off anything when you ride both!
          >
          > Looking forward to your next reiteration on the subject Trausti!

          Isaac García

          http://www.coletassoft.com
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletassoft
          http://www.facebook.com/coletassoft