Creek Flowers....

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 4, 2010
      8 + 8 + 8 + N; Fuji e900; jpeg fine.

      The wind was blowing, the late day shadows were moving fast, the tripod
      on soft surface (grass) that moved each time I took a step
      around it. No two pictures had an overlap area that matched
      well. Every time I took a step I moved something in the nadir.

      Basically, I had to hand blend most of the image except for around
      the equator which I only had to patch in places.

      I found that I got a cleaner image to hand blend by only using
      4 pictures from the lower row and 4 pictures from the upper row
      for the working pano.

      The overlap for those 4 was so small that it would have been impossible to find
      control points to align the pano using just 4 images so I used all 8 images
      from the top and all 8 from the bottom to get the pano aligned and then
      used just 4 from the top and 4 from the bottom to blend and stitch.

      Then I generated the individual layers and spot blended a large portion
      of the pano using the trick of making an equirect tilted down 90 degrees
      to make the nadir accessible for patch blending then generating another
      pano tilted up 90 degrees when finished patch blending.

      All and all a very tedious exercise that I've been working on
      for about 6 weeks off and on.

      Not saying that the pano is visually great but it was a worth
      while exercise to produce.

      http://pancyl.com/CreekFlowers.html
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 4, 2010

        > The wind was blowing, the late day shadows were moving fast, the tripod
        > on soft surface (grass) that moved each time I took a step
        > around it. No two pictures had an overlap area that matched
        > well. Every time I took a step I moved something in the nadir.
        >
        > Basically, I had to hand blend most of the image except for around
        > the equator which I only had to patch in places.

        > Not saying that the pano is visually great but it was a worth
        > while exercise to produce.
        >
        > http://pancyl.com/CreekFlowers.html

        The foliage in the nadir is very nice with the daisies ... reminds me of Durer's Clump of Grass painting
        http://web.natur.cuni.cz/~herben/figs/durer.jpg
        ..but the flare in the trees ..

        PeterM
      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2010
          Very cute.

          I think it could also use some live sound to enhance the experience.

          For patching, I don't like working on equi due to the propensity to get lazy
          and start retouching areas you shouldn't.

          If you have ptgui you can use its templating system to grab and export
          rectaliners in seconds.

          For outdoor scenes equis are doable but for indoor tiles, all the curvy
          lines of the equi make retouching an effort in futility.

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 5, 2010
            Agree to both suggestions.

            I've thought about sound and I agree it would add even
            to simple scenes like this. Wind in the trees -- birds -- etc.

            Just a matter of investing in a sound recorder. $$$$$ ?????

            I like outdoors and foliage because it is easy to "cheat"
            to get an acceptable stitch. Indoors one has to be a lot
            more precise but on the other hand, there is a lot less wind
            to blow things around :-)

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 5, 2010
              The common one is the zoom h2.. I think it's a couple hundred bucks at most.

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 5, 2010
                Yup... but a couple hundred bucks is a lot of money to me.

                Sacha Griffin wrote:
                > The common one is the zoom h2.. I think it's a couple hundred bucks at most.

              • Trausti Hraunfjord
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 5, 2010
                  Zoom H1 is out and only $99 ... which is the half of a lot of money...
                  should be more acceptable, and the sound quality is said to be top notch,
                  while it is adviced not to let anyone touch it, since the body is very
                  plasticky, and oozes of "cheapness".

                  http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=2053

                  Trausti

                  On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

                  > Yup... but a couple hundred bucks is a lot of money to me.
                  >

                  > Sacha Griffin wrote:
                  > > The common one is the zoom h2.. I think it's a couple hundred bucks at
                  > most.

                • Ken Warner
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 5, 2010
                    I've been looking at those. But I don't even
                    buy a cup of coffee anymore. I count pennies.

                    Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:
                    > Zoom H1 is out and only $99 ... which is the half of a lot of money...
                    > should be more acceptable, and the sound quality is said to be top notch,
                    > while it is adviced not to let anyone touch it, since the body is very
                    > plasticky, and oozes of "cheapness".
                    >
                    > http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=2053
                    >
                    > Trausti
                    >

                    > On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >> Yup... but a couple hundred bucks is a lot of money to me.
                    >>

                    >> Sacha Griffin wrote:
                    >>> The common one is the zoom h2.. I think it's a couple hundred bucks at
                    >> most.

                  • Sacha Griffin
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 5, 2010
                      Nice find.
                      The zoom h2 actually is around $140.
                      I know the zoom h2 will do a lot of processing also should one not have a
                      computer easily available, wav to mp3 etc.
                      Honestly, I don't know how the h2 is better than the h1. But any of these
                      line of products seems to be very usable and miles cheaper than most related
                      solid state recorders.