Re: [PanoToolsNG] new jpeg alternative

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 2, 2010
      >run Win7 on the iDevice through parallels

      Okay, you're officially not allowed to touch my iPad! :-)

    • fierodeval
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 3, 2010
        Trausti,

        The iPad has a 1GHz processor, and 256MB of RAM...

        regards!
        fiero

        > That can be done already... install "Parallels", then run Win7 on the
        > iDevice through parallels, and there is completely legal access to anything
        > Flash.
        > Parallels costs around 70 dollars I think... and it is said that things do
        > work (well) with this workaround.
        >
        > Trausti
        >
        > On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 5:19 AM, Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:
        >
        > > A good point. Then all we'll need is a way to read the Flash content
        > > on Flash-less systems... ;-)

      • Hans
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 3, 2010
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "fierodeval" <fierodeval@...> wrote:

          > Trausti,
          >
          > The iPad has a 1GHz processor, and 256MB of RAM...

          Well I do not think that has much influence on this.

          It's a just a remote desktop access to you home computer.
          But I doubt that you can actually show any type of panoramas this way.

          Remote desktops does not work that good even on a fast computer.

          Hans

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@> wrote:
          > >
          > > That can be done already... install "Parallels", then run Win7 on the
          > > iDevice through parallels, and there is completely legal access to anything
          > > Flash.
          > > Parallels costs around 70 dollars I think... and it is said that things do
          > > work (well) with this workaround.
          > >
          > > Trausti
          > >
          > > On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 5:19 AM, Keith Martin <keith@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > A good point. Then all we'll need is a way to read the Flash content
          > > > on Flash-less systems... ;-)

        • Michael Crane
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 3, 2010

            On 3 Oct 2010, at 12:47, "Hans" <hans@...> wrote:

            > Remote desktops does not work that good even on a fast computer.
            >
            > Hans

            Since apple downgraded my iPhone 3G for me I have difficulty getting anything to run convincingly over issh
            Mick

          • tom_a_sparks
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 3, 2010

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "fierodeval" <fierodeval@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Trausti,
              > >
              > > The iPad has a 1GHz processor, and 256MB of RAM...
              > >

              > Well I do not think that has much influence on this.
              >
              > It's a just a remote desktop access to you home computer.
              > But I doubt that you can actually show any type of panoramas this way.
              >
              > Remote desktops does not work that good even on a fast computer.

              your main issue is bandwidth of the network connection and the protocol (image-based (remote framebuffer) or X Window System-like)

              tom
            • Keith Martin
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 3, 2010
                > > Remote desktops does not work that good even on a fast computer.

                >your main issue is bandwidth of the network connection and the
                >protocol (image-based (remote framebuffer) or X Window System-like)

                True. I used LogMeIn on my iPad to connect to my home Mac in order to
                stitch a panorama using PTGui. So by Trausti's hyper-positive logic
                PTGui runs on my iPad. :-)

                (The process wasn't exactly smooth - but then, I was in a field at a
                festival, connecting over 3G. It worked, but it isn't something I'd
                do other than as a technical exercise or in extreme emergencies.)

              • prague
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 11, 2010
                  Hi Roger,

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
                  > Jeffrey, I read that your site is limited to spherical panoramas, and they
                  > must be
                  > equirectangular images with the aspect ratio of 2:1.
                  >
                  > Does this mean you completely rule out cylindrical panoramas? I can recast
                  > them
                  > as spherical, but of course this means leaving black bands above and below
                  > the
                  > image. With sites that support limitations on the angle of view, the viewer
                  > doesn't have to see these black/blank areas. Can your site do something
                  > equivalent? Or is this too much trouble?
                  >
                  > I ask, because many of my early panoramas, and even some recent ones, are
                  > cylindrical, not spherical.

                  Currently yes we require full spherical (hole in nadir is ok) once you figure in stuff like google earth and iphone it becomes more complex to suppport non-sphericals.

                  Anyway, this might change in the future. if it does i'll let you know.

                  jeffrey
                • Roger D. Williams
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 12, 2010
                    Thanks, Jeffrey. Very clear!