Re: [PanoToolsNG] new jpeg alternative

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 2, 2010
      Sometime around 1/10/10 (at 11:10 -0500) Trausti Hraunfjord said:

      >What I suspect, is that once Flash has been equipped with a WebP
      >decoder, flash panoramas will be able to display panos using the WebP
      >format, regardless of browsers being compatible with the WebP format or not.

      A good point. Then all we'll need is a way to read the Flash content
      on Flash-less systems... ;-)

    • Trausti Hraunfjord
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 2, 2010
        That can be done already... install "Parallels", then run Win7 on the
        iDevice through parallels, and there is completely legal access to anything
        Flash.
        Parallels costs around 70 dollars I think... and it is said that things do
        work (well) with this workaround.

        Trausti

        On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 5:19 AM, Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:

        > A good point. Then all we'll need is a way to read the Flash content
        > on Flash-less systems... ;-)

      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 2, 2010
          >run Win7 on the iDevice through parallels

          Okay, you're officially not allowed to touch my iPad! :-)

        • fierodeval
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 3, 2010
            Trausti,

            The iPad has a 1GHz processor, and 256MB of RAM...

            regards!
            fiero

            > That can be done already... install "Parallels", then run Win7 on the
            > iDevice through parallels, and there is completely legal access to anything
            > Flash.
            > Parallels costs around 70 dollars I think... and it is said that things do
            > work (well) with this workaround.
            >
            > Trausti
            >
            > On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 5:19 AM, Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:
            >
            > > A good point. Then all we'll need is a way to read the Flash content
            > > on Flash-less systems... ;-)

          • Hans
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 3, 2010
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "fierodeval" <fierodeval@...> wrote:

              > Trausti,
              >
              > The iPad has a 1GHz processor, and 256MB of RAM...

              Well I do not think that has much influence on this.

              It's a just a remote desktop access to you home computer.
              But I doubt that you can actually show any type of panoramas this way.

              Remote desktops does not work that good even on a fast computer.

              Hans

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@> wrote:
              > >
              > > That can be done already... install "Parallels", then run Win7 on the
              > > iDevice through parallels, and there is completely legal access to anything
              > > Flash.
              > > Parallels costs around 70 dollars I think... and it is said that things do
              > > work (well) with this workaround.
              > >
              > > Trausti
              > >
              > > On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 5:19 AM, Keith Martin <keith@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > A good point. Then all we'll need is a way to read the Flash content
              > > > on Flash-less systems... ;-)

            • Michael Crane
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 3, 2010

                On 3 Oct 2010, at 12:47, "Hans" <hans@...> wrote:

                > Remote desktops does not work that good even on a fast computer.
                >
                > Hans

                Since apple downgraded my iPhone 3G for me I have difficulty getting anything to run convincingly over issh
                Mick

              • tom_a_sparks
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 3, 2010

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "fierodeval" <fierodeval@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Trausti,
                  > >
                  > > The iPad has a 1GHz processor, and 256MB of RAM...
                  > >

                  > Well I do not think that has much influence on this.
                  >
                  > It's a just a remote desktop access to you home computer.
                  > But I doubt that you can actually show any type of panoramas this way.
                  >
                  > Remote desktops does not work that good even on a fast computer.

                  your main issue is bandwidth of the network connection and the protocol (image-based (remote framebuffer) or X Window System-like)

                  tom
                • Keith Martin
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 3, 2010
                    > > Remote desktops does not work that good even on a fast computer.

                    >your main issue is bandwidth of the network connection and the
                    >protocol (image-based (remote framebuffer) or X Window System-like)

                    True. I used LogMeIn on my iPad to connect to my home Mac in order to
                    stitch a panorama using PTGui. So by Trausti's hyper-positive logic
                    PTGui runs on my iPad. :-)

                    (The process wasn't exactly smooth - but then, I was in a field at a
                    festival, connecting over 3G. It worked, but it isn't something I'd
                    do other than as a technical exercise or in extreme emergencies.)

                  • prague
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 11, 2010
                      Hi Roger,

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
                      > Jeffrey, I read that your site is limited to spherical panoramas, and they
                      > must be
                      > equirectangular images with the aspect ratio of 2:1.
                      >
                      > Does this mean you completely rule out cylindrical panoramas? I can recast
                      > them
                      > as spherical, but of course this means leaving black bands above and below
                      > the
                      > image. With sites that support limitations on the angle of view, the viewer
                      > doesn't have to see these black/blank areas. Can your site do something
                      > equivalent? Or is this too much trouble?
                      >
                      > I ask, because many of my early panoramas, and even some recent ones, are
                      > cylindrical, not spherical.

                      Currently yes we require full spherical (hole in nadir is ok) once you figure in stuff like google earth and iphone it becomes more complex to suppport non-sphericals.

                      Anyway, this might change in the future. if it does i'll let you know.

                      jeffrey
                    • Roger D. Williams
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 12, 2010
                        Thanks, Jeffrey. Very clear!