Re: [PanoToolsNG] Study about efectiveness of panoramas in tourism business

  • Bostjan Burger
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2010
      Hi,

      I did that in 2004/2005 for museums and tourism. 'Museums' are in English and
      'tourism' only in Slovene language. It is very close corelation.

      :) Bostjan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 1, 2010
        I posted that once - here is a link to my
        study: http://www.burger.si/MuzejiInGalerije/VirtualRealityMuseumsOfSlovenia.pdf ,
        which is now 6 years old. I did same study for Show Caves in my country (we
        have here quite a number of show caves among over 10.000 other caves...) - it
        was a very positive reaction and number of visitors increased. Even Mr. Arthurc
        Clarke saw my virtual tours of caves in the year 2000 and wrote in that time
        "the best example what to do on the Internet". And consider that the quality of
        VRPs in that time was realy bad comparing to nowadays technology. On the other
        hand and as an example: an Israeli tourist agency found my web site and started
        using it as a promotion for their tours - the number of Israeli visitors had
        increased one year later for 900% - ok it is a statistic but it is and indicator
        about the positive use of VRPs in tourism.

        Bostjan

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 11, 2010
          I have to agree with Hans on this one. Any study about product/industry X, sponsored by people involved in product/industry X, is worthless by definition.

> [...]
          > before spreading it further, and I did my own checking when I first came
          > across this paper, finding nothing that even remotely supports your
          > opinion. Of course you can say that just because the people behind the
          > paper happen to provide tours, they can only provide corrupt data worth
          > nothing... but unless you have something to back such words up with, it will
          > have to be in the "libel/slander" category.
          >
          > It is the best report I have come across, but would absolutely be interested
          > in other data as well, be that data provided by someone who doesn't use
          > Flash... or who doesn't use Java, or who doesn't use either Mac or PC.
          >
          > I am sure such people could also be suspect to provide opinions that are
          > "nothing worth" based on the equipment and software they happen to use.
          >
          > Do you have a more neutral report? Numbers that are more useable than the
          > ones in the report I have fallen prey for?
          >
          > Anything beyond google analytics statistics for your own sites? Something
          > that is based on a broad investigation that this paper surely seems to be
          > based on?
          >
          > Putting the logic of "they provide tours/have interest in what they claim"
          > to the test... a test that anyone can repeat and confirm... or prove to be
          > "worth nothing", I did the following
          >
          > Using www.google.com I searched for the word "bing". It resulted in "About
          > 71,700,000 results"
          > Using www.google.com I searched for the word "google", and it resulted in
          > "About 1,490,000,000 results"
          >
          > Oh... darn, google is in the search engine business and clearly their
          > numbers are worth nothing.... their numbers claim that "google" is 20,78
          > times more frequent than "bing".
          >
          > So the next thing I did, to "prove" how biased and unreliable the google
          > numbers were, I went to www.bing.com and did the very same search.
          >
          > The word "bing", results in 7.460.000 results
          > The word "google", results in 223.000.000 results
          >
          > ... which translates into "google" being 29,89 times more frequently found
          > in their search engine than the word "bing".
          >
          > From the looks of it, Google Inc. must have corrupted the Bing results, or
          > maybe they have purchased bing, and are providing even more worthless
          > numbers than they themselves do.... just to make themselves look better?
          >
          > No Hans. I think that you are only expressing your opinion, based on
          > nothing but... your opinion. I do however look forward to you providing
          > supporting evidence of your words, or - if you can't, then at least
          > admitting this being only your opinion.
          >
          > Until then, it would be welcome to have some other more valid surveys
          > presented.
          >
          > Trausti
          >

          > On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Hans <hans@...> wrote:
          >

          > > That investigation is nothing worth.
          > > Check the company.
          > > They are a producer of tours themself.
          > > http://www.vfmleonardo.com/vbrochure
          > >
          > > So they have an interest in what they claim in the "investigation"..

        • Trausti Hraunfjord
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 11, 2010
            Too many people project their own values upon others... thinking everyone
            else must be like they are themselves.

            There ARE actually honest people around. It may sound naive, but it still
            holds true. Not everyone is dishonest.

            I would not in my wildest dreams accuse Bostjan of providing pimped up
            (worthless) data, as it seems that others are doing BY DEFINITION, just
            because he happens to have his fingers in the panoramic world.

            "Guilty until proven guilty".... is that how we are supposed to view
            everyone and everything?

            I wonder how some people buy a camera:
            Mr. Distruster: "What about this one?"
            Seller: "That's an excellent pro camera, and you will be very happy with it
            for sure. Here, have a look at the user manual, all the great options are
            listed there!"
            Mr. Distruster: "The darn manual is worthless by definition, because the
            producer provides it... furthermore; a camera company was involved in making
            this camera, and therefore it is worthless. Show me something else
            please!".
            Seller: "We have these pencils and a block of white paper... no camera
            company was involved in the making of those elements...."
            Mr. Distruster: "Great! Finally! Why didn't you just show me this to begin
            with, rather than wasting my time?"

            .... and just for the record: Those who claim that no numbers, services,
            opinions or products are valid because "x" is involved in this or that way,
            are asking for the same treatment of their own products/reports/opinions.

            Trausti

            On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:24 AM, prague <360cities@...> wrote:

            > I have to agree with Hans on this one. Any study about product/industry X,
            > sponsored by people involved in product/industry X, is worthless by
            > definition.

          • Scott Witte
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 11, 2010
              On 10/11/2010 11:24 AM, prague wrote:
              > I have to agree with Hans on this one. Any study about
              > product/industry X, sponsored by people involved in product/industry
              > X, is worthless by definition.
              Wow. this shouldn't be so controversial. It is prudent to be skeptical
              of any study by /anyone/. Don't automatically accept it at face value.
              But just because the study is done by someone involved in the industry
              doesn't make it "worthless." Evaluate the methodology, and understand
              what was actually studied.

              VFMLeonardo isn't really involved in producing virtual tours etc. They
              really don't care where they come from as long as they can host them.
              They offer a service to produce rich media primarily so it gets done and
              they can get the hosting contract. And if you look at what they are
              /really/ pushing it is video. That is the most bandwidth demanding and
              where they make more money. But their studies don't look only at video.

              So, why are they doing studies like this? They know rich media is
              effective, but there are very few studies to confirm this for skeptical
              clients. So what are they to do but be proactive and conduct their own.
              If you look at the studies in depth you will see the methodology is
              good. And there is nothing to contradict them. In fact the few other
              studies out there only confirms what VFM found. So it is the best we
              have to work with.

              In this case it wasn't the actual effectiveness of virtual tours and
              other rich media that was studied. It was the /opinions/ of those who do
              or would use them. That is still valuable. Their real finding was that
              many hotel clients weren't planning to add the rich media they
              themselves thought would be most effective, primarily because getting
              their heads around how to produce and deploy such media was difficult.
              Therein is your selling opportunity (and VFM's). We know how to produce
              the tours and perhaps how to deploy them. VFM knows how to deploy them
              and can get them produced for you as well.

              Just so nobody misses it let me reiterate: This study primarily shows
              you the selling opportunity for various rich media including 360 virtual
              tours.

              --
              Scott

              <http://www.scottwitte.com>
              <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
              414.345.9660
              Member, IVRPA

            • Hans
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 12, 2010
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Witte <scottw@...> wrote:

                > On 10/11/2010 11:24 AM, prague wrote:
                > > I have to agree with Hans on this one. Any study about
                > > product/industry X, sponsored by people involved in product/industry
                > > X, is worthless by definition.
                > Wow. this shouldn't be so controversial. It is prudent to be skeptical
                > of any study by /anyone/. Don't automatically accept it at face value.
                > But just because the study is done by someone involved in the industry
                > doesn't make it "worthless." Evaluate the methodology, and understand
                > what was actually studied.
                >
                > VFMLeonardo isn't really involved in producing virtual tours etc. They
                > really don't care where they come from as long as they can host them.
                > They offer a service to produce rich media primarily so it gets done and
                > they can get the hosting contract. And if you look at what they are
                > /really/ pushing it is video. That is the most bandwidth demanding and
                > where they make more money. But their studies don't look only at video.

                Sorry but that is absolutely not true. VFM Leonardo produces virtual tours.
                In some cases it may be from media provided by the clint/ hotel but in most cases I guess they produce the whole tour together with their 2 partners
                Here are the main products
                http://www.vfmleonardo.com/vbrochure
                Read also the testimonials
                http://www.vfmleonardo.com/testimonials

                And here are the production partners.
                http://www.vfmleonardo.com/visual-content-production

                One thing, what was the conclusion of the investigation. It says Video is the most effective and used media.
                And what is it Leonardo focuses on, exactly video production.

                That smells.
                There is no problem steering an investigation in the "right direction" by a company who want certain answers.
                It is just about putting the questions the right way and asking the clients who gives the "right" answers.

                The answers in this investigation are given already when you ask them.
                And it is not because the investigators try tho cheat in some way.
                You are simply unconsciously asking the right questions.

                Hans

                > So, why are they doing studies like this? They know rich media is
                > effective, but there are very few studies to confirm this for skeptical
                > clients. So what are they to do but be proactive and conduct their own.
                > If you look at the studies in depth you will see the methodology is
                > good. And there is nothing to contradict them. In fact the few other
                > studies out there only confirms what VFM found. So it is the best we
                > have to work with.
                >
                > In this case it wasn't the actual effectiveness of virtual tours and
                > other rich media that was studied. It was the /opinions/ of those who do
                > or would use them. That is still valuable. Their real finding was that
                > many hotel clients weren't planning to add the rich media they
                > themselves thought would be most effective, primarily because getting
                > their heads around how to produce and deploy such media was difficult.
                > Therein is your selling opportunity (and VFM's). We know how to produce
                > the tours and perhaps how to deploy them. VFM knows how to deploy them
                > and can get them produced for you as well.
                >
                > Just so nobody misses it let me reiterate: This study primarily shows
                > you the selling opportunity for various rich media including 360 virtual
                > tours.
                >

                > --
                > Scott
                >
                > <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                > 414.345.9660
                > Member, IVRPA

              • Trausti Hraunfjord
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 12, 2010
                  Looking at it from that angle, I might agree, but still... I would not brand
                  the paper as worthless. It has answers to questions... be that the "right
                  questions" or not... it is more than what can be found most places.

                  Obviously I, or anyone who has anything to do with panoramas or video or
                  other media related material, be capable of ordering or standing behind a
                  survey or investigation into the market, since it would make the results
                  worthless... We can't even bring statistics from our own websites, because
                  after all, we are in this business, and our numbers would be very suspect :)

                  Maybe that is the reason why there are no "valid" numbers for our field
                  anywhere... because our local bakery and hamburger stands are probably never
                  going to order an independent investigation into the panorama market.

                  We can be sceptical all that we want, and disagree with the video part, or
                  some other parts... When I read the paper the first time, I didn't agree
                  with all the findings, but it is seemingly the best and most up to date
                  paper available, and we should at least be able to use it as an indication
                  of what people think of the different media.

                  Trausti

                  On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 3:00 AM, Hans <hans@...> wrote:

                  > There is no problem steering an investigation in the "right direction" by a
                  > company who want certain answers.
                  > It is just about putting the questions the right way and asking the clients
                  > who gives the "right" answers.
                  >
                  > The answers in this investigation are given already when you ask them.
                  > And it is not because the investigators try tho cheat in some way.
                  > You are simply unconsciously asking the right questions.
                  >
                  > Hans

                • Paul Fretheim
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 12, 2010
                    What does "effectiveness" mean in the context of this study?
                  • prague
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 12, 2010
                      doesn't matter. if you're involved, you're biased, whether you think you are or not.

                      the study may be "interesting" and "useful for sales" but it cannot be regarded as "impartial" or "unbiased".

                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 12, 2010
                        On 10/12/2010 3:00 AM, Hans wrote:
                        > Sorry but that is absolutely not true. VFM Leonardo produces virtual
                        > tours.
                        > In some cases it may be from media provided by the clint/ hotel but in
                        > most cases I guess they produce the whole tour together with their 2
                        > partners...
                        Maybe it is a matter of perspective, but to me you are demonstrating my
                        point. Tour content is primarily produced by others, whether by official
                        partners or by freelancers they may hire or they will take content
                        supplied by their clients. Where VFM makes it's real money is the
                        hosting. It is an ongoing stream of revenue. Everything else is there to
                        get to that end result though I'm sure they make some profit along the
                        way. That is how they described it in an email some years ago.

                        But, this is really all missing the point from my perspective. I don't
                        wish to belabor it any more. Take from the study what you can of value.
                        Use it to help you in you business if you wish. VFM certainly will. And
                        if anyone chooses to reject it out of hand, that is their choice.

                        Personally I think VFM's 2005 double blind study done with Omni hotels
                        was far more useful for the purpose of proving effectiveness. Although I
                        feel VFM itself didn't fully understand their results. This current
                        study is more effective in identifying the selling opportunity. I found
                        something I can use and am thankful VFM made the study generally available.

                        One final thought. The study as reported is certainly not perfect. It
                        would have been more revealing, for instance, to see separate results
                        from those who had deployed rich media vs those who planned to. Actual
                        experience vs. hoped for results may have been more revealing from my
                        standpoint. At the same time, those results may have been too
                        fragmented. Not all hotels use all the rich media at the same time and
                        would therefor have a basis to compare one against the other.

                        --
                        Scott Witte