Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Study about efectiveness of panoramas in tourism business

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2010
      On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Jaume Llorens <jaume@...> wrote:

      > May be.. but user ratings rankings comments and reviews are perceived
      > as the most effective resources... not visual content wich is what tey
      > sell (if I understand it correctly)..

      As long as the study is properly understood for what it represents, I see no
      reason to doubt the results or the methodology. But that proper
      interpretation is key.

      > Do you know any other investigation.. more neutral.. ?

      Ummm, yes.

      Organizations that don't have a vested interest in the outcome are the
      ethical standard for neutral studies. I'm not saying no interested party can
      perform a neutral study, but I am saying that those without a financial
      interest in the stakes are more likely to promote the results regardless of
      their implications. Put another way, businesses perform research and studies
      all the time, and since they are pursuing facts that will impact their
      business they do, of course, tend to want to perform accurate tests. What is
      less common is a business *promoting* or *publishing* a report that calls
      into question the quality, effectiveness, or benefits of their
      product/services. Whereas organizations - universities, groups like Consumer
      Reports that represent the *buyers* of a service or product, and others
      whose primary stake is in the unvarnished truth - are more likely to promote
      and publish a study regardless of outcome.

      In short, if I'm a buyer of a service, if the service is worthless I like to
      know and share this information; if the results are positive I *also* like
      to know and share this information.

      If I'm a provider of a service, if a study demonstrates that service is
      worthless I'm unlikely to publish that, but extremely likely to publish it
      if the results are positive.

      This is 101 stuff.

    • Bostjan Burger
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 1, 2010
        Hi,

        I did that in 2004/2005 for museums and tourism. 'Museums' are in English and
        'tourism' only in Slovene language. It is very close corelation.

        :) Bostjan

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 1, 2010
          I posted that once - here is a link to my
          study: http://www.burger.si/MuzejiInGalerije/VirtualRealityMuseumsOfSlovenia.pdf ,
          which is now 6 years old. I did same study for Show Caves in my country (we
          have here quite a number of show caves among over 10.000 other caves...) - it
          was a very positive reaction and number of visitors increased. Even Mr. Arthurc
          Clarke saw my virtual tours of caves in the year 2000 and wrote in that time
          "the best example what to do on the Internet". And consider that the quality of
          VRPs in that time was realy bad comparing to nowadays technology. On the other
          hand and as an example: an Israeli tourist agency found my web site and started
          using it as a promotion for their tours - the number of Israeli visitors had
          increased one year later for 900% - ok it is a statistic but it is and indicator
          about the positive use of VRPs in tourism.

          Bostjan

          ________________________________
          I did that in 2004/2005 for museums and tourism. 'Museums' are in English and
          'tourism' only in Slovene language. It is very close corelation.

          :) Bostjan

        • prague
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 11, 2010
            I have to agree with Hans on this one. Any study about product/industry X, sponsored by people involved in product/industry X, is worthless by definition.

> [...]
            > before spreading it further, and I did my own checking when I first came
            > across this paper, finding nothing that even remotely supports your
            > opinion. Of course you can say that just because the people behind the
            > paper happen to provide tours, they can only provide corrupt data worth
            > nothing... but unless you have something to back such words up with, it will
            > have to be in the "libel/slander" category.
            >
            > It is the best report I have come across, but would absolutely be interested
            > in other data as well, be that data provided by someone who doesn't use
            > Flash... or who doesn't use Java, or who doesn't use either Mac or PC.
            >
            > I am sure such people could also be suspect to provide opinions that are
            > "nothing worth" based on the equipment and software they happen to use.
            >
            > Do you have a more neutral report? Numbers that are more useable than the
            > ones in the report I have fallen prey for?
            >
            > Anything beyond google analytics statistics for your own sites? Something
            > that is based on a broad investigation that this paper surely seems to be
            > based on?
            >
            > Putting the logic of "they provide tours/have interest in what they claim"
            > to the test... a test that anyone can repeat and confirm... or prove to be
            > "worth nothing", I did the following
            >
            > Using www.google.com I searched for the word "bing". It resulted in "About
            > 71,700,000 results"
            > Using www.google.com I searched for the word "google", and it resulted in
            > "About 1,490,000,000 results"
            >
            > Oh... darn, google is in the search engine business and clearly their
            > numbers are worth nothing.... their numbers claim that "google" is 20,78
            > times more frequent than "bing".
            >
            > So the next thing I did, to "prove" how biased and unreliable the google
            > numbers were, I went to www.bing.com and did the very same search.
            >
            > The word "bing", results in 7.460.000 results
            > The word "google", results in 223.000.000 results
            >
            > ... which translates into "google" being 29,89 times more frequently found
            > in their search engine than the word "bing".
            >
            > From the looks of it, Google Inc. must have corrupted the Bing results, or
            > maybe they have purchased bing, and are providing even more worthless
            > numbers than they themselves do.... just to make themselves look better?
            >
            > No Hans. I think that you are only expressing your opinion, based on
            > nothing but... your opinion. I do however look forward to you providing
            > supporting evidence of your words, or - if you can't, then at least
            > admitting this being only your opinion.
            >
            > Until then, it would be welcome to have some other more valid surveys
            > presented.
            >
            > Trausti
            >

            > On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Hans <hans@...> wrote:
            >

            > > That investigation is nothing worth.
            > > Check the company.
            > > They are a producer of tours themself.
            > > http://www.vfmleonardo.com/vbrochure
            > >
            > > So they have an interest in what they claim in the "investigation"..

          • Trausti Hraunfjord
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 11, 2010
              Too many people project their own values upon others... thinking everyone
              else must be like they are themselves.

              There ARE actually honest people around. It may sound naive, but it still
              holds true. Not everyone is dishonest.

              I would not in my wildest dreams accuse Bostjan of providing pimped up
              (worthless) data, as it seems that others are doing BY DEFINITION, just
              because he happens to have his fingers in the panoramic world.

              "Guilty until proven guilty".... is that how we are supposed to view
              everyone and everything?

              I wonder how some people buy a camera:
              Mr. Distruster: "What about this one?"
              Seller: "That's an excellent pro camera, and you will be very happy with it
              for sure. Here, have a look at the user manual, all the great options are
              listed there!"
              Mr. Distruster: "The darn manual is worthless by definition, because the
              producer provides it... furthermore; a camera company was involved in making
              this camera, and therefore it is worthless. Show me something else
              please!".
              Seller: "We have these pencils and a block of white paper... no camera
              company was involved in the making of those elements...."
              Mr. Distruster: "Great! Finally! Why didn't you just show me this to begin
              with, rather than wasting my time?"

              .... and just for the record: Those who claim that no numbers, services,
              opinions or products are valid because "x" is involved in this or that way,
              are asking for the same treatment of their own products/reports/opinions.

              Trausti

              On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:24 AM, prague <360cities@...> wrote:

              > I have to agree with Hans on this one. Any study about product/industry X,
              > sponsored by people involved in product/industry X, is worthless by
              > definition.

            • Scott Witte
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 11, 2010
                On 10/11/2010 11:24 AM, prague wrote:
                > I have to agree with Hans on this one. Any study about
                > product/industry X, sponsored by people involved in product/industry
                > X, is worthless by definition.
                Wow. this shouldn't be so controversial. It is prudent to be skeptical
                of any study by /anyone/. Don't automatically accept it at face value.
                But just because the study is done by someone involved in the industry
                doesn't make it "worthless." Evaluate the methodology, and understand
                what was actually studied.

                VFMLeonardo isn't really involved in producing virtual tours etc. They
                really don't care where they come from as long as they can host them.
                They offer a service to produce rich media primarily so it gets done and
                they can get the hosting contract. And if you look at what they are
                /really/ pushing it is video. That is the most bandwidth demanding and
                where they make more money. But their studies don't look only at video.

                So, why are they doing studies like this? They know rich media is
                effective, but there are very few studies to confirm this for skeptical
                clients. So what are they to do but be proactive and conduct their own.
                If you look at the studies in depth you will see the methodology is
                good. And there is nothing to contradict them. In fact the few other
                studies out there only confirms what VFM found. So it is the best we
                have to work with.

                In this case it wasn't the actual effectiveness of virtual tours and
                other rich media that was studied. It was the /opinions/ of those who do
                or would use them. That is still valuable. Their real finding was that
                many hotel clients weren't planning to add the rich media they
                themselves thought would be most effective, primarily because getting
                their heads around how to produce and deploy such media was difficult.
                Therein is your selling opportunity (and VFM's). We know how to produce
                the tours and perhaps how to deploy them. VFM knows how to deploy them
                and can get them produced for you as well.

                Just so nobody misses it let me reiterate: This study primarily shows
                you the selling opportunity for various rich media including 360 virtual
                tours.

                --
                Scott

                <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                414.345.9660
                Member, IVRPA

              • Hans
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 12, 2010
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Witte <scottw@...> wrote:

                  > On 10/11/2010 11:24 AM, prague wrote:
                  > > I have to agree with Hans on this one. Any study about
                  > > product/industry X, sponsored by people involved in product/industry
                  > > X, is worthless by definition.
                  > Wow. this shouldn't be so controversial. It is prudent to be skeptical
                  > of any study by /anyone/. Don't automatically accept it at face value.
                  > But just because the study is done by someone involved in the industry
                  > doesn't make it "worthless." Evaluate the methodology, and understand
                  > what was actually studied.
                  >
                  > VFMLeonardo isn't really involved in producing virtual tours etc. They
                  > really don't care where they come from as long as they can host them.
                  > They offer a service to produce rich media primarily so it gets done and
                  > they can get the hosting contract. And if you look at what they are
                  > /really/ pushing it is video. That is the most bandwidth demanding and
                  > where they make more money. But their studies don't look only at video.

                  Sorry but that is absolutely not true. VFM Leonardo produces virtual tours.
                  In some cases it may be from media provided by the clint/ hotel but in most cases I guess they produce the whole tour together with their 2 partners
                  Here are the main products
                  http://www.vfmleonardo.com/vbrochure
                  Read also the testimonials
                  http://www.vfmleonardo.com/testimonials

                  And here are the production partners.
                  http://www.vfmleonardo.com/visual-content-production

                  One thing, what was the conclusion of the investigation. It says Video is the most effective and used media.
                  And what is it Leonardo focuses on, exactly video production.

                  That smells.
                  There is no problem steering an investigation in the "right direction" by a company who want certain answers.
                  It is just about putting the questions the right way and asking the clients who gives the "right" answers.

                  The answers in this investigation are given already when you ask them.
                  And it is not because the investigators try tho cheat in some way.
                  You are simply unconsciously asking the right questions.

                  Hans

                  > So, why are they doing studies like this? They know rich media is
                  > effective, but there are very few studies to confirm this for skeptical
                  > clients. So what are they to do but be proactive and conduct their own.
                  > If you look at the studies in depth you will see the methodology is
                  > good. And there is nothing to contradict them. In fact the few other
                  > studies out there only confirms what VFM found. So it is the best we
                  > have to work with.
                  >
                  > In this case it wasn't the actual effectiveness of virtual tours and
                  > other rich media that was studied. It was the /opinions/ of those who do
                  > or would use them. That is still valuable. Their real finding was that
                  > many hotel clients weren't planning to add the rich media they
                  > themselves thought would be most effective, primarily because getting
                  > their heads around how to produce and deploy such media was difficult.
                  > Therein is your selling opportunity (and VFM's). We know how to produce
                  > the tours and perhaps how to deploy them. VFM knows how to deploy them
                  > and can get them produced for you as well.
                  >
                  > Just so nobody misses it let me reiterate: This study primarily shows
                  > you the selling opportunity for various rich media including 360 virtual
                  > tours.
                  >

                  > --
                  > Scott
                  >
                  > <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                  > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                  > 414.345.9660
                  > Member, IVRPA

                • Trausti Hraunfjord
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 12, 2010
                    Looking at it from that angle, I might agree, but still... I would not brand
                    the paper as worthless. It has answers to questions... be that the "right
                    questions" or not... it is more than what can be found most places.

                    Obviously I, or anyone who has anything to do with panoramas or video or
                    other media related material, be capable of ordering or standing behind a
                    survey or investigation into the market, since it would make the results
                    worthless... We can't even bring statistics from our own websites, because
                    after all, we are in this business, and our numbers would be very suspect :)

                    Maybe that is the reason why there are no "valid" numbers for our field
                    anywhere... because our local bakery and hamburger stands are probably never
                    going to order an independent investigation into the panorama market.

                    We can be sceptical all that we want, and disagree with the video part, or
                    some other parts... When I read the paper the first time, I didn't agree
                    with all the findings, but it is seemingly the best and most up to date
                    paper available, and we should at least be able to use it as an indication
                    of what people think of the different media.

                    Trausti

                    On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 3:00 AM, Hans <hans@...> wrote:

                    > There is no problem steering an investigation in the "right direction" by a
                    > company who want certain answers.
                    > It is just about putting the questions the right way and asking the clients
                    > who gives the "right" answers.
                    >
                    > The answers in this investigation are given already when you ask them.
                    > And it is not because the investigators try tho cheat in some way.
                    > You are simply unconsciously asking the right questions.
                    >
                    > Hans

                  • Paul Fretheim
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 12, 2010
                      What does "effectiveness" mean in the context of this study?
                    • prague
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 12, 2010
                        doesn't matter. if you're involved, you're biased, whether you think you are or not.

                        the study may be "interesting" and "useful for sales" but it cannot be regarded as "impartial" or "unbiased".

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 12, 2010
                          On 10/12/2010 3:00 AM, Hans wrote:
                          > Sorry but that is absolutely not true. VFM Leonardo produces virtual
                          > tours.
                          > In some cases it may be from media provided by the clint/ hotel but in
                          > most cases I guess they produce the whole tour together with their 2
                          > partners...
                          Maybe it is a matter of perspective, but to me you are demonstrating my
                          point. Tour content is primarily produced by others, whether by official
                          partners or by freelancers they may hire or they will take content
                          supplied by their clients. Where VFM makes it's real money is the
                          hosting. It is an ongoing stream of revenue. Everything else is there to
                          get to that end result though I'm sure they make some profit along the
                          way. That is how they described it in an email some years ago.

                          But, this is really all missing the point from my perspective. I don't
                          wish to belabor it any more. Take from the study what you can of value.
                          Use it to help you in you business if you wish. VFM certainly will. And
                          if anyone chooses to reject it out of hand, that is their choice.

                          Personally I think VFM's 2005 double blind study done with Omni hotels
                          was far more useful for the purpose of proving effectiveness. Although I
                          feel VFM itself didn't fully understand their results. This current
                          study is more effective in identifying the selling opportunity. I found
                          something I can use and am thankful VFM made the study generally available.

                          One final thought. The study as reported is certainly not perfect. It
                          would have been more revealing, for instance, to see separate results
                          from those who had deployed rich media vs those who planned to. Actual
                          experience vs. hoped for results may have been more revealing from my
                          standpoint. At the same time, those results may have been too
                          fragmented. Not all hotels use all the rich media at the same time and
                          would therefor have a basis to compare one against the other.

                          --
                          Scott Witte