Six horizontal shots on a Canon full frame

  • Fabio Bustamante
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2010
      All this Canon 5D mark II discussion left me thinking. I've been
      considering taking the resolution of my panos a step ahead for a while.

      Today I use a Canon 5D with a shaved 10.5 Nikon. I shoot 4 horizontal +z
      +n. It's very convenient, but I can't stich 360 panos bigger than 6500
      pixels wide. I'd like to get a bit more out of my panos, but I'd also
      like to keep the work load not too big, so at first I would avoid
      shooting more than 1 horizontal row.

      Of course I intend to get a 5D mark II, which will boos the resolution
      considerably, but I'd like to go for a better shooting technique too. Is
      there a good combination for a 6 horizontal +z +n you'd recommend?

      Thanks a lot
    • Rodolpho Pajuaba
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2010
        Fabio,
        I used to have the 5D and I used it with the Tokina 107, shaved. It's
        a good combo, because it allows you to do a 3-shot pano when set to
        10mm, if needed, and a higher-res 6+1+1, when set to 15mm. Currently,
        for lack of need, I only have a Canon D60 (old, yes, I know, but I
        don't use DSLRs) and I can output a 8600px wide equi; I guess you can
        do way better with the 5D in 15/16mm, not to mention with the 5DMkII.

        2010/10/1 Fabio Bustamante <contato@...>:
        >  All this Canon 5D mark II discussion left me thinking. I've been
        > considering taking the resolution of my panos a step ahead for a while.
        >
        > Today I use a Canon 5D with a shaved 10.5 Nikon. I shoot 4 horizontal +z
        > +n. It's very convenient, but I can't stich 360 panos bigger than 6500
        > pixels wide. I'd like to get a bit more out of my panos, but I'd also
        > like to keep the work load not too big, so at first I would avoid
        > shooting more than 1 horizontal row.
        >
        > Of course I intend to get a 5D mark II, which will boos the resolution
        > considerably, but I'd like to go for a better shooting technique too. Is
        > there a good combination for a 6 horizontal +z +n you'd recommend?
        >
        > Thanks a lot

        I hope this helps,
        --
        Rodolpho Pajuaba
        www.pajuaba.com.br/heterose
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2010
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Rodolpho Pajuaba <rpajuaba@...> wrote:

          > Fabio,
          > I used to have the 5D and I used it with the Tokina 107, shaved. It's
          > a good combo, because it allows you to do a 3-shot pano when set to
          > 10mm, if needed, and a higher-res 6+1+1, when set to 15mm. Currently,
          > for lack of need, I only have a Canon D60 (old, yes, I know, but I
          > don't use DSLRs) and I can output a 8600px wide equi; I guess you can
          > do way better with the 5D in 15/16mm, not to mention with the 5DMkII.

          The Tokina is OK at 10 and 12mm especially if you also take a zenith however it is not at all good at 15mm.

          The corners are not at all sharp unless you stop down to f16 and there is also some lightfall.

          For maximum result with 6 + 1 images the Canon 15mm or maybe also the Sigma 15mm is the best.

          You get a 14800x7400 which you can reduce to 12000 x 6000 for maximum quality.
          Stitching is much easier and faster with it than using a fullcircle lens.
          You always get enough controlpoints and with a template you can batchstitch without any errors at all.

          Hans

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2010
            Hello, Hans, thank you for the insights. Well, there is also the
            Zenitar 16mm in the game, I forgot. I don't know how it compares to
            the Sigma and the Canon, but it's incredibly sharp, and incredibly
            inexpensive too.

            2010/10/1 Hans <hans@...>:

            > The Tokina is OK at 10 and 12mm especially if you also take a zenith however it is not at all good at 15mm.
            >
            > The corners are not at all sharp unless you stop down to f16 and  there is also some  lightfall.
            >
            > For maximum result with 6 + 1 images the Canon 15mm or maybe also the Sigma 15mm is the best.
            >
            > You get a 14800x7400 which you can reduce to 12000 x 6000 for maximum quality.
            > Stitching is much easier and faster with it than using a fullcircle lens.
            > You always get enough controlpoints and  with a template you can batchstitch without any errors at all.
            >
            > Hans
            Regards,
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2010
              Thank you guys for your comments.

              Hans, I had the chance to check a Canon 17-40 and by doing a quick
              evaluation (I didn't have a tripod around) I had the impression that I
              could even make the 360 with 6 shots, but with very small margin for
              error. But what worried the most was the size of the "hole" that would
              have to be patched with the zenith and nadir shots. In fact I wasn't
              sure I could cover the necessary area in the sky or the ground with a
              single shot.

              Did you have the opportunity to try this Canon/Sigma 15mm combination?
              Hows the margin for error for the Z and N shots? Right now I don't use
              those top pano heads so I usually take these shots handheld or by
              guessing the position with my tripod.

              14800x7400 would be beautiful...

              Em 01/10/2010 16:31, Rodolpho Pajuaba escreveu:
              > Hello, Hans, thank you for the insights. Well, there is also the
              > Zenitar 16mm in the game, I forgot. I don't know how it compares to
              > the Sigma and the Canon, but it's incredibly sharp, and incredibly
              > inexpensive too.
              >
              > 2010/10/1 Hans<hans@...>:
              >
              > The Tokina is OK at 10 and 12mm especially if you also take a zenith however it is not at all good at 15mm.
              >
              > The corners are not at all sharp unless you stop down to f16 and there is also some lightfall.
              >
              > For maximum result with 6 + 1 images the Canon 15mm or maybe also the Sigma 15mm is the best.
              >
              > You get a 14800x7400 which you can reduce to 12000 x 6000 for maximum quality.
              > Stitching is much easier and faster with it than using a fullcircle lens.
              > You always get enough controlpoints and with a template you can batchstitch without any errors at all.
              >
              > Hans
              > Regards,
            • Hans
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 3, 2010
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Fabio Bustamante <contato@...> wrote:

                > Thank you guys for your comments.
                >
                > Hans, I had the chance to check a Canon 17-40 and by doing a quick
                > evaluation (I didn't have a tripod around) I had the impression that I
                > could even make the 360 with 6 shots, but with very small margin for
                > error. But what worried the most was the size of the "hole" that would
                > have to be patched with the zenith and nadir shots. In fact I wasn't
                > sure I could cover the necessary area in the sky or the ground with a
                > single shot.

                You need 2 rows of 8 with this at 17mm.

                > Did you have the opportunity to try this Canon/Sigma 15mm combination?
                > Hows the margin for error for the Z and N shots? Right now I don't use
                > those top pano heads so I usually take these shots handheld or by
                > guessing the position with my tripod.
                >
                > 14800x7400 would be beautiful...

                I have used the Canon 15mmm for 4 years with both the 5D and 5D Mark II

                Here is a full resolution 14800x7400 from the Mark II.
                http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/canon15mm/cathedral.html

                6 around at -10 and 1 zenith. I usually shoot it at +60 unless I have a lot of features for control-points like in this pano.

                Nadir is easy done. I set the panohead at -60, lean the tripod until the camera points straight down. With 1 tripod leg extended you can shoot even long-exposure bracketed shots nadir perfect.
                It takes less than 60 sec to shoot it.

                > Em 01/10/2010 16:31, Rodolpho Pajuaba escreveu:
                > > Hello, Hans, thank you for the insights. Well, there is also the
                > > Zenitar 16mm in the game, I forgot. I don't know how it compares to
                > > the Sigma and the Canon, but it's incredibly sharp, and incredibly
                > > inexpensive too.
                > >
                > > 2010/10/1 Hans<hans@...>:
                > >
                > > The Tokina is OK at 10 and 12mm especially if you also take a zenith however it is not at all good at 15mm.
                > >
                > > The corners are not at all sharp unless you stop down to f16 and there is also some lightfall.
                > >
                > > For maximum result with 6 + 1 images the Canon 15mm or maybe also the Sigma 15mm is the best.
                > >
                > > You get a 14800x7400 which you can reduce to 12000 x 6000 for maximum quality.
                > > Stitching is much easier and faster with it than using a fullcircle lens.
                > > You always get enough controlpoints and with a template you can batchstitch without any errors at all.
                > >
                > > Hans
                > > Regards,

              • Fabio Bustamante
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 4, 2010
                  Thanks a lot, Hans, that's a gorgeous pano. It made up my mind.

                  > 6 around at -10 and 1 zenith. I usually shoot it at +60 unless I
                  have a lot of features for control-points like in this pano.

                  What do you mean with +60? Didn't get it...

                  Em 03/10/2010 12:13, Hans escreveu:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Fabio Bustamante<contato@...> wrote:
                  >> Thank you guys for your comments.
                  >>
                  >> Hans, I had the chance to check a Canon 17-40 and by doing a quick
                  >> evaluation (I didn't have a tripod around) I had the impression that I
                  >> could even make the 360 with 6 shots, but with very small margin for
                  >> error. But what worried the most was the size of the "hole" that would
                  >> have to be patched with the zenith and nadir shots. In fact I wasn't
                  >> sure I could cover the necessary area in the sky or the ground with a
                  >> single shot.
                  > You need 2 rows of 8 with this at 17mm.
                  >
                  >> Did you have the opportunity to try this Canon/Sigma 15mm combination?
                  >> Hows the margin for error for the Z and N shots? Right now I don't use
                  >> those top pano heads so I usually take these shots handheld or by
                  >> guessing the position with my tripod.
                  >>
                  >> 14800x7400 would be beautiful...
                  > I have used the Canon 15mmm for 4 years with both the 5D and 5D Mark II
                  >
                  > Here is a full resolution 14800x7400 from the Mark II.
                  > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/canon15mm/cathedral.html
                  >
                  > 6 around at -10 and 1 zenith. I usually shoot it at +60 unless I have a lot of features for control-points like in this pano.
                  >
                  > Nadir is easy done. I set the panohead at -60, lean the tripod until the camera points straight down. With 1 tripod leg extended you can shoot even long-exposure bracketed shots nadir perfect.
                  > It takes less than 60 sec to shoot it.
                  >
                  > Hans
                  >
                  > Hans
                  >

                  >> Em 01/10/2010 16:31, Rodolpho Pajuaba escreveu:
                  >>> Hello, Hans, thank you for the insights. Well, there is also the
                  >>> Zenitar 16mm in the game, I forgot. I don't know how it compares to
                  >>> the Sigma and the Canon, but it's incredibly sharp, and incredibly
                  >>> inexpensive too.
                  >>>
                  >>> 2010/10/1 Hans<hans@...>:
                  >>>
                  >>> The Tokina is OK at 10 and 12mm especially if you also take a zenith however it is not at all good at 15mm.
                  >>>
                  >>> The corners are not at all sharp unless you stop down to f16 and there is also some lightfall.
                  >>>
                  >>> For maximum result with 6 + 1 images the Canon 15mm or maybe also the Sigma 15mm is the best.
                  >>>
                  >>> You get a 14800x7400 which you can reduce to 12000 x 6000 for maximum quality.
                  >>> Stitching is much easier and faster with it than using a fullcircle lens.
                  >>> You always get enough controlpoints and with a template you can batchstitch without any errors at all.
                  >>>
                  >>> Hans
                  >>> Regards,
                  >

                  > ------------------------------------

                • Hans
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 4, 2010
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Fabio Bustamante <contato@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks a lot, Hans, that's a gorgeous pano. It made up my mind.
                    >
                    > > 6 around at -10 and 1 zenith. I usually shoot it at +60 unless I
                    > have a lot of features for control-points like in this pano.
                    >
                    > What do you mean with +60? Didn't get it...

                    Normally you shoot zenith at +90. However if you just have a blue sky or a white ceiling that gives you no control points to connect it to the 6 around.
                    If you shoot at +60 you still has the same coverage for the zenith area but in addition it covers all the way down to the horizont in the direction you shoot it. That will always give you useable automatic controlpoints.

                    Hans