Study about efectiveness of panoramas in tourism business

  • Jaume Llorens
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2010
      Hi,
      Do you know any investigation, study, serious survey.. that talks about
      the impact that coud have a full screen spherical panorama or a virtual
      tour over the decision of potential clients to book a hotel or anyother
      tourism bussiness... ?
      Thanks!

      jaume

      --
      Jaume Llorens i Bach
      Av. Països Catalans, 1-3, 3E. 17820 - Banyoles
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 1, 2010
        In the linked forums post you will find a .pdf document with quite good and
        up to date info (HotelBusinessSurveyReport2010.pdf).

        http://flashificator.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=8191#p8191

        Trausti

        On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Jaume Llorens <jaume@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > Do you know any investigation, study, serious survey.. that talks about
        > the impact that coud have a full screen spherical panorama or a virtual
        > tour over the decision of potential clients to book a hotel or anyother
        > tourism bussiness... ?
        > Thanks!
        >
        > jaume
        >
        > --
        > Jaume Llorens i Bach
        > Av. Pa�sos Catalans, 1-3, 3E. 17820 - Banyoles
        > Tels: 972 981 141 / 657 038 339
        > http://www.vistes360.com

      • Jaume Llorens
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 1, 2010
          Excelent!
          Thank you Trausti!

          --
          Jaume Llorens i Bach
          Av. Països Catalans, 1-3, 3E. 17820 - Banyoles
          Tels: 972 981 141 / 657 038 339
          http://www.vistes360.com

          Al 01/10/10 18:27, En/na Trausti Hraunfjord ha escrit:
          > In the linked forums post you will find a .pdf document with quite good and
          > up to date info (HotelBusinessSurveyReport2010.pdf).
          >
          > http://flashificator.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=8191#p8191
          >
          > Trausti
          >
          > On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Jaume Llorens<jaume@...> wrote:
          >

          >> Hi,
          >> Do you know any investigation, study, serious survey.. that talks about
          >> the impact that coud have a full screen spherical panorama or a virtual
          >> tour over the decision of potential clients to book a hotel or anyother
          >> tourism bussiness... ?
          >> Thanks!
          >>
          >> jaume
          >>
          >> --
          >> Jaume Llorens i Bach
          >> Av. Països Catalans, 1-3, 3E. 17820 - Banyoles
          >> Tels: 972 981 141 / 657 038 339
          >> http://www.vistes360.com

        • Hans
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 1, 2010

            > In the linked forums post you will find a .pdf document with quite good and
            > up to date info (HotelBusinessSurveyReport2010.pdf).
            >
            > http://flashificator.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=8191#p8191

            That investigation is nothing worth.
            Check the company.
            They are a producer of tours themself.
            http://www.vfmleonardo.com/vbrochure

            So they have an interest in what they claim in the "investigation"..

            Hans

            > Trausti
            >
            > On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Jaume Llorens <jaume@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Hi,
            > > Do you know any investigation, study, serious survey.. that talks about
            > > the impact that coud have a full screen spherical panorama or a virtual
            > > tour over the decision of potential clients to book a hotel or anyother
            > > tourism bussiness... ?
            > > Thanks!
            > >
            > > jaume
            > >
            > > --
            > > Jaume Llorens i Bach
            > > Av. Països Catalans, 1-3, 3E. 17820 - Banyoles
            > > Tels: 972 981 141 / 657 038 339
            > > http://www.vistes360.com

          • Jaume Llorens
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 1, 2010
              May be.. but user ratings rankings comments and reviews are perceived
              as the most effective resources... not visual content wich is what tey
              sell (if I understand it correctly)..

              Do you know any other investigation.. more neutral.. ?
              Thanks
              j.

              --
              Jaume Llorens i Bach
              Av. Països Catalans, 1-3, 3E. 17820 - Banyoles
              Tels: 972 981 141 / 657 038 339
              http://www.vistes360.com

              Al 01/10/10 19:00, En/na Hans ha escrit:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Trausti Hraunfjord
              > <trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > In the linked forums post you will find a .pdf document with quite
              > good and
              > > up to date info (HotelBusinessSurveyReport2010.pdf).
              > >
              > > http://flashificator.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=8191#p8191
              >
              > That investigation is nothing worth.
              > Check the company.
              > They are a producer of tours themself.
              > http://www.vfmleonardo.com/vbrochure
              >
              > So they have an interest in what they claim in the "investigation"..
              >
              > Hans
              >

              > > Trausti
              > >
              > > On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Jaume Llorens <jaume@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > > Hi,
              > > > Do you know any investigation, study, serious survey.. that talks
              > about
              > > > the impact that coud have a full screen spherical panorama or a
              > virtual
              > > > tour over the decision of potential clients to book a hotel or
              > anyother
              > > > tourism bussiness... ?
              > > > Thanks!
              > > >
              > > > jaume
              > > >
              > > > --
              > > > Jaume Llorens i Bach
              > > > Av. Països Catalans, 1-3, 3E. 17820 - Banyoles
              > > > Tels: 972 981 141 / 657 038 339
              > > > http://www.vistes360.com

            • Trausti Hraunfjord
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 1, 2010
                Worth NOTHING? I find that to be quite a broad statement Hans.

                What do you base that on?
                To the best of my knowledge, the people behind the company and the paper,
                have not been dragged through any courts or press as being liars or
                fraudsters. I have come across NOTHING that would back up what seems to be
                your private and personal opinion of the paper being "nothing worth". But
                then again, you might have access to some information I have not come
                across?

                I agree that it is always good to check the background for any information
                before spreading it further, and I did my own checking when I first came
                across this paper, finding nothing that even remotely supports your
                opinion. Of course you can say that just because the people behind the
                paper happen to provide tours, they can only provide corrupt data worth
                nothing... but unless you have something to back such words up with, it will
                have to be in the "libel/slander" category.

                It is the best report I have come across, but would absolutely be interested
                in other data as well, be that data provided by someone who doesn't use
                Flash... or who doesn't use Java, or who doesn't use either Mac or PC.

                I am sure such people could also be suspect to provide opinions that are
                "nothing worth" based on the equipment and software they happen to use.

                Do you have a more neutral report? Numbers that are more useable than the
                ones in the report I have fallen prey for?

                Anything beyond google analytics statistics for your own sites? Something
                that is based on a broad investigation that this paper surely seems to be
                based on?

                Putting the logic of "they provide tours/have interest in what they claim"
                to the test... a test that anyone can repeat and confirm... or prove to be
                "worth nothing", I did the following

                Using www.google.com I searched for the word "bing". It resulted in "About
                71,700,000 results"
                Using www.google.com I searched for the word "google", and it resulted in
                "About 1,490,000,000 results"

                Oh... darn, google is in the search engine business and clearly their
                numbers are worth nothing.... their numbers claim that "google" is 20,78
                times more frequent than "bing".

                So the next thing I did, to "prove" how biased and unreliable the google
                numbers were, I went to www.bing.com and did the very same search.

                The word "bing", results in 7.460.000 results
                The word "google", results in 223.000.000 results

                ... which translates into "google" being 29,89 times more frequently found
                in their search engine than the word "bing".

                From the looks of it, Google Inc. must have corrupted the Bing results, or
                maybe they have purchased bing, and are providing even more worthless
                numbers than they themselves do.... just to make themselves look better?

                No Hans. I think that you are only expressing your opinion, based on
                nothing but... your opinion. I do however look forward to you providing
                supporting evidence of your words, or - if you can't, then at least
                admitting this being only your opinion.

                Until then, it would be welcome to have some other more valid surveys
                presented.

                Trausti

                On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Hans <hans@...> wrote:

                > That investigation is nothing worth.
                > Check the company.
                > They are a producer of tours themself.
                > http://www.vfmleonardo.com/vbrochure
                >
                > So they have an interest in what they claim in the "investigation"..
                >
                > Hans

              • Fernando Costa Pinto
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 1, 2010
                  Once again I am with you Trausti .
                  The study seems good .

                  I never heard about a study ordered/made by someone not interested in the
                  area.
                  I am sick and tired of false moral, the most abundant European product.

                  Fernando
                  Salvador Bahia
                  Brazil

                  On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Trausti Hraunfjord <
                  trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > maybe they have purchased bing, and are providing even more worthless
                  > numbers than they themselves do.... just to make themselves look better?
                  >
                  > No Hans. I think that you are only expressing your opinion, based on
                  > nothing but... your opinion. I do however look forward to you providing
                  > supporting evidence of your words, or - if you can't, then at least
                  > admitting this being only your opinion.
                  >
                  > Until then, it would be welcome to have some other more valid surveys
                  > presented.
                  >
                  > Trausti
                  >

                  > On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Hans <hans@... <hans%40nyberg.com>>
                  > wrote:
                  >

                  > > That investigation is nothing worth.
                  > > Check the company.
                  > > They are a producer of tours themself.
                  > > http://www.vfmleonardo.com/vbrochure
                  > >
                  > > So they have an interest in what they claim in the "investigation"..

                • Roger Howard
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 1, 2010
                    On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Trausti Hraunfjord <
                    trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:

                    > Worth NOTHING? I find that to be quite a broad statement Hans.

                    The study has some value as long as you're clear what it represents. It does
                    not explore actual ROI/effectiveness of virtual tours and other aspects of
                    hotel; it explores the perceived effectiveness by those surveyed.

                    What this means in a nutshell:

                    1. Good news if you're selling to people represented by this survey. In
                    other words, there appear to be a sizable number of hotel professionals who
                    perceive VT's as effective in their business.
                    2. Somewhat useless in actually arguing that VT's *are* effective on an ROI
                    basis. Meaning, for skeptical customers not prone to groupthink (in other
                    words, those who won't be convinced merely because their peers consider such
                    a product effective) this paper has little evidence to convince them
                    otherwise. The larger the organization, in my experience, the more likely
                    they are to want quantitative data on the effectiveness of a marketing tool.
                    Advertisers expect this, as they are all about quantitative results. Small
                    and mid-sized business operators are more likely to go on perception - the
                    cool factor - and VT's, 360s, and other new media have always been that
                    shiny object they can't put down.

                    I've seen more serious studies about ROI of panoramas and object VR in
                    certain markets, and even then the results were somewhat ambiguous and more
                    often than not poorly interpreted by people looking to promote their content
                    businesses on the basis of the studies. Do individuals users *say* they like
                    interactive content more than static - to a point (there are diminishing
                    returns)... does it actually increase sell-through? Less clear - marginally
                    at least, yes. Does it increase engagement time (how long people linger)?
                    Sure, but that seems largely proportional to the amount of time it takes to
                    experience the content, and not an increase in interest in the object or
                    service being sold.

                    I realize I had a bit of an outburst this morning on the list, so this is my
                    effort to return to my (usually) measured, objective tone :)

                    -R

                  • Roger Howard
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 1, 2010
                      On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Jaume Llorens <jaume@...> wrote:

                      > May be.. but user ratings rankings comments and reviews are perceived
                      > as the most effective resources... not visual content wich is what tey
                      > sell (if I understand it correctly)..

                      As long as the study is properly understood for what it represents, I see no
                      reason to doubt the results or the methodology. But that proper
                      interpretation is key.

                      > Do you know any other investigation.. more neutral.. ?

                      Ummm, yes.

                      Organizations that don't have a vested interest in the outcome are the
                      ethical standard for neutral studies. I'm not saying no interested party can
                      perform a neutral study, but I am saying that those without a financial
                      interest in the stakes are more likely to promote the results regardless of
                      their implications. Put another way, businesses perform research and studies
                      all the time, and since they are pursuing facts that will impact their
                      business they do, of course, tend to want to perform accurate tests. What is
                      less common is a business *promoting* or *publishing* a report that calls
                      into question the quality, effectiveness, or benefits of their
                      product/services. Whereas organizations - universities, groups like Consumer
                      Reports that represent the *buyers* of a service or product, and others
                      whose primary stake is in the unvarnished truth - are more likely to promote
                      and publish a study regardless of outcome.

                      In short, if I'm a buyer of a service, if the service is worthless I like to
                      know and share this information; if the results are positive I *also* like
                      to know and share this information.

                      If I'm a provider of a service, if a study demonstrates that service is
                      worthless I'm unlikely to publish that, but extremely likely to publish it
                      if the results are positive.

                      This is 101 stuff.

                    • Bostjan Burger
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 1, 2010
                        Hi,

                        I did that in 2004/2005 for museums and tourism. 'Museums' are in English and
                        'tourism' only in Slovene language. It is very close corelation.

                        :) Bostjan

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 1, 2010
                          I posted that once - here is a link to my
                          study: http://www.burger.si/MuzejiInGalerije/VirtualRealityMuseumsOfSlovenia.pdf ,
                          which is now 6 years old. I did same study for Show Caves in my country (we
                          have here quite a number of show caves among over 10.000 other caves...) - it
                          was a very positive reaction and number of visitors increased. Even Mr. Arthurc
                          Clarke saw my virtual tours of caves in the year 2000 and wrote in that time
                          "the best example what to do on the Internet". And consider that the quality of
                          VRPs in that time was realy bad comparing to nowadays technology. On the other
                          hand and as an example: an Israeli tourist agency found my web site and started
                          using it as a promotion for their tours - the number of Israeli visitors had
                          increased one year later for 900% - ok it is a statistic but it is and indicator
                          about the positive use of VRPs in tourism.

                          Bostjan

                          ________________________________
                          I did that in 2004/2005 for museums and tourism. 'Museums' are in English and
                          'tourism' only in Slovene language. It is very close corelation.

                          :) Bostjan

                        • prague
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 11, 2010
                            I have to agree with Hans on this one. Any study about product/industry X, sponsored by people involved in product/industry X, is worthless by definition.

> [...]
                            > maybe they have purchased bing, and are providing even more worthless
                            > numbers than they themselves do.... just to make themselves look better?
                            >
                            > No Hans. I think that you are only expressing your opinion, based on
                            > nothing but... your opinion. I do however look forward to you providing
                            > supporting evidence of your words, or - if you can't, then at least
                            > admitting this being only your opinion.
                            >
                            > Until then, it would be welcome to have some other more valid surveys
                            > presented.
                            >
                            > Trausti
                            >

                            > On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Hans <hans@...> wrote:
                            >

                            > > That investigation is nothing worth.
                            > > Check the company.
                            > > They are a producer of tours themself.
                            > > http://www.vfmleonardo.com/vbrochure
                            > >
                            > > So they have an interest in what they claim in the "investigation"..

                          • Trausti Hraunfjord
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 11, 2010
                              Too many people project their own values upon others... thinking everyone
                              else must be like they are themselves.

                              There ARE actually honest people around. It may sound naive, but it still
                              holds true. Not everyone is dishonest.

                              I would not in my wildest dreams accuse Bostjan of providing pimped up
                              (worthless) data, as it seems that others are doing BY DEFINITION, just
                              because he happens to have his fingers in the panoramic world.

                              "Guilty until proven guilty".... is that how we are supposed to view
                              everyone and everything?

                              I wonder how some people buy a camera:
                              Mr. Distruster: "What about this one?"
                              Seller: "That's an excellent pro camera, and you will be very happy with it
                              for sure. Here, have a look at the user manual, all the great options are
                              listed there!"
                              Mr. Distruster: "The darn manual is worthless by definition, because the
                              producer provides it... furthermore; a camera company was involved in making
                              this camera, and therefore it is worthless. Show me something else
                              please!".
                              Seller: "We have these pencils and a block of white paper... no camera
                              company was involved in the making of those elements...."
                              Mr. Distruster: "Great! Finally! Why didn't you just show me this to begin
                              with, rather than wasting my time?"

                              .... and just for the record: Those who claim that no numbers, services,
                              opinions or products are valid because "x" is involved in this or that way,
                              are asking for the same treatment of their own products/reports/opinions.

                              Trausti

                              On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:24 AM, prague <360cities@...> wrote:

                              > I have to agree with Hans on this one. Any study about product/industry X,
                              > sponsored by people involved in product/industry X, is worthless by
                              > definition.

                            • Scott Witte
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 11, 2010
                                On 10/11/2010 11:24 AM, prague wrote:
                                > I have to agree with Hans on this one. Any study about
                                > product/industry X, sponsored by people involved in product/industry
                                > X, is worthless by definition.
                                Wow. this shouldn't be so controversial. It is prudent to be skeptical
                                of any study by /anyone/. Don't automatically accept it at face value.
                                But just because the study is done by someone involved in the industry
                                doesn't make it "worthless." Evaluate the methodology, and understand
                                what was actually studied.

                                VFMLeonardo isn't really involved in producing virtual tours etc. They
                                really don't care where they come from as long as they can host them.
                                They offer a service to produce rich media primarily so it gets done and
                                they can get the hosting contract. And if you look at what they are
                                /really/ pushing it is video. That is the most bandwidth demanding and
                                where they make more money. But their studies don't look only at video.

                                So, why are they doing studies like this? They know rich media is
                                effective, but there are very few studies to confirm this for skeptical
                                clients. So what are they to do but be proactive and conduct their own.
                                If you look at the studies in depth you will see the methodology is
                                good. And there is nothing to contradict them. In fact the few other
                                studies out there only confirms what VFM found. So it is the best we
                                have to work with.

                                In this case it wasn't the actual effectiveness of virtual tours and
                                other rich media that was studied. It was the /opinions/ of those who do
                                or would use them. That is still valuable. Their real finding was that
                                many hotel clients weren't planning to add the rich media they
                                themselves thought would be most effective, primarily because getting
                                their heads around how to produce and deploy such media was difficult.
                                Therein is your selling opportunity (and VFM's). We know how to produce
                                the tours and perhaps how to deploy them. VFM knows how to deploy them
                                and can get them produced for you as well.

                                Just so nobody misses it let me reiterate: This study primarily shows
                                you the selling opportunity for various rich media including 360 virtual
                                tours.

                                --
                                Scott

                                <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                                <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                                414.345.9660
                                Member, IVRPA

                              • Hans
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 12, 2010
                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Witte <scottw@...> wrote:

                                  > On 10/11/2010 11:24 AM, prague wrote:
                                  > > I have to agree with Hans on this one. Any study about
                                  > > product/industry X, sponsored by people involved in product/industry
                                  > > X, is worthless by definition.
                                  > Wow. this shouldn't be so controversial. It is prudent to be skeptical
                                  > of any study by /anyone/. Don't automatically accept it at face value.
                                  > But just because the study is done by someone involved in the industry
                                  > doesn't make it "worthless." Evaluate the methodology, and understand
                                  > what was actually studied.
                                  >
                                  > VFMLeonardo isn't really involved in producing virtual tours etc. They
                                  > really don't care where they come from as long as they can host them.
                                  > They offer a service to produce rich media primarily so it gets done and
                                  > they can get the hosting contract. And if you look at what they are
                                  > /really/ pushing it is video. That is the most bandwidth demanding and
                                  > where they make more money. But their studies don't look only at video.

                                  Sorry but that is absolutely not true. VFM Leonardo produces virtual tours.
                                  In some cases it may be from media provided by the clint/ hotel but in most cases I guess they produce the whole tour together with their 2 partners
                                  Here are the main products
                                  http://www.vfmleonardo.com/vbrochure
                                  Read also the testimonials
                                  http://www.vfmleonardo.com/testimonials

                                  And here are the production partners.
                                  http://www.vfmleonardo.com/visual-content-production

                                  One thing, what was the conclusion of the investigation. It says Video is the most effective and used media.
                                  And what is it Leonardo focuses on, exactly video production.

                                  That smells.
                                  There is no problem steering an investigation in the "right direction" by a company who want certain answers.
                                  It is just about putting the questions the right way and asking the clients who gives the "right" answers.

                                  The answers in this investigation are given already when you ask them.
                                  And it is not because the investigators try tho cheat in some way.
                                  You are simply unconsciously asking the right questions.

                                  Hans

                                  > So, why are they doing studies like this? They know rich media is
                                  > effective, but there are very few studies to confirm this for skeptical
                                  > clients. So what are they to do but be proactive and conduct their own.
                                  > If you look at the studies in depth you will see the methodology is
                                  > good. And there is nothing to contradict them. In fact the few other
                                  > studies out there only confirms what VFM found. So it is the best we
                                  > have to work with.
                                  >
                                  > In this case it wasn't the actual effectiveness of virtual tours and
                                  > other rich media that was studied. It was the /opinions/ of those who do
                                  > or would use them. That is still valuable. Their real finding was that
                                  > many hotel clients weren't planning to add the rich media they
                                  > themselves thought would be most effective, primarily because getting
                                  > their heads around how to produce and deploy such media was difficult.
                                  > Therein is your selling opportunity (and VFM's). We know how to produce
                                  > the tours and perhaps how to deploy them. VFM knows how to deploy them
                                  > and can get them produced for you as well.
                                  >
                                  > Just so nobody misses it let me reiterate: This study primarily shows
                                  > you the selling opportunity for various rich media including 360 virtual
                                  > tours.
                                  >

                                  > --
                                  > Scott
                                  >
                                  > <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                                  > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                                  > 414.345.9660
                                  > Member, IVRPA

                                • Trausti Hraunfjord
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 12, 2010
                                    Looking at it from that angle, I might agree, but still... I would not brand
                                    the paper as worthless. It has answers to questions... be that the "right
                                    questions" or not... it is more than what can be found most places.

                                    Obviously I, or anyone who has anything to do with panoramas or video or
                                    other media related material, be capable of ordering or standing behind a
                                    survey or investigation into the market, since it would make the results
                                    worthless... We can't even bring statistics from our own websites, because
                                    after all, we are in this business, and our numbers would be very suspect :)

                                    Maybe that is the reason why there are no "valid" numbers for our field
                                    anywhere... because our local bakery and hamburger stands are probably never
                                    going to order an independent investigation into the panorama market.

                                    We can be sceptical all that we want, and disagree with the video part, or
                                    some other parts... When I read the paper the first time, I didn't agree
                                    with all the findings, but it is seemingly the best and most up to date
                                    paper available, and we should at least be able to use it as an indication
                                    of what people think of the different media.

                                    Trausti

                                    On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 3:00 AM, Hans <hans@...> wrote:

                                    > There is no problem steering an investigation in the "right direction" by a
                                    > company who want certain answers.
                                    > It is just about putting the questions the right way and asking the clients
                                    > who gives the "right" answers.
                                    >
                                    > The answers in this investigation are given already when you ask them.
                                    > And it is not because the investigators try tho cheat in some way.
                                    > You are simply unconsciously asking the right questions.
                                    >
                                    > Hans

                                  • Paul Fretheim
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 12, 2010
                                      What does "effectiveness" mean in the context of this study?
                                    • prague
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 12, 2010
                                        doesn't matter. if you're involved, you're biased, whether you think you are or not.

                                        the study may be "interesting" and "useful for sales" but it cannot be regarded as "impartial" or "unbiased".

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 12, 2010
                                          On 10/12/2010 3:00 AM, Hans wrote:
                                          > Sorry but that is absolutely not true. VFM Leonardo produces virtual
                                          > tours.
                                          > In some cases it may be from media provided by the clint/ hotel but in
                                          > most cases I guess they produce the whole tour together with their 2
                                          > partners...
                                          Maybe it is a matter of perspective, but to me you are demonstrating my
                                          point. Tour content is primarily produced by others, whether by official
                                          partners or by freelancers they may hire or they will take content
                                          supplied by their clients. Where VFM makes it's real money is the
                                          hosting. It is an ongoing stream of revenue. Everything else is there to
                                          get to that end result though I'm sure they make some profit along the
                                          way. That is how they described it in an email some years ago.

                                          But, this is really all missing the point from my perspective. I don't
                                          wish to belabor it any more. Take from the study what you can of value.
                                          Use it to help you in you business if you wish. VFM certainly will. And
                                          if anyone chooses to reject it out of hand, that is their choice.

                                          Personally I think VFM's 2005 double blind study done with Omni hotels
                                          was far more useful for the purpose of proving effectiveness. Although I
                                          feel VFM itself didn't fully understand their results. This current
                                          study is more effective in identifying the selling opportunity. I found
                                          something I can use and am thankful VFM made the study generally available.

                                          One final thought. The study as reported is certainly not perfect. It
                                          would have been more revealing, for instance, to see separate results
                                          from those who had deployed rich media vs those who planned to. Actual
                                          experience vs. hoped for results may have been more revealing from my
                                          standpoint. At the same time, those results may have been too
                                          fragmented. Not all hotels use all the rich media at the same time and
                                          would therefor have a basis to compare one against the other.

                                          --
                                          Scott Witte