Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Hyperfocal setting for Tokina/Pentax 10-17mm fisheye

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 30, 2010
      On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 08:50:52 +0900, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>
      wrote:

      > Yesterday it was 113F in Los Angeles -- the highest temp ever.
      > That's 45C for all you foreigners :-)

      Yes, but in Tokyo it's not the heat, it's the humanity.

      Roger W.

      --
      Business: www.adex-japan.com
      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2010
        Am 01.10.2010 05:13, schrieb Roger D. Williams:

        > Yes, but in Tokyo it's not the heat, it's the humanity.

        Humanity or humidity? ;-)

      • ptgroup
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2010
          Roger,
          I find the ATX stupid to focus.
          Setting to 0.5m should be the best at F 16.
          See at:
          http://www.netzserver2.de/ptgroup/atx107dof.jpg

          But hard to find 0.5m - I set at the first 0 of 00 and it works fine @12mm
          and F13-16.
          Although AF sets it just in the middle of 00.
          I really don´t know if the above posted table is correct or not.
          (Due to production varioation or whatever.)

          Ciao
          Mike

          ----------------------------
          ----------------------------
          360° VR Fotografie:
          http://www.360de.de

          NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
          http://www.abstraktfoto.de
          -----------------------------
          Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
          http://virtugraf.wordpress.com
          Am 01.10.2010 05:13, schrieb Roger D. Williams:

          > Yes, but in Tokyo it's not the heat, it's the humanity.

          Humanity or humidity? ;-)

        • Ken Warner
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2010
            I didn't get that the first time I read it.

            That's pretty funny Roger! Good one!

            Erik Krause wrote:
            > Am 01.10.2010 05:13, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
            >
            >> Yes, but in Tokyo it's not the heat, it's the humanity.
            >
            > Humanity or humidity? ;-)

          • Roger D. Williams
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2010
              Thanks for the link, Mike.

              The focusing scale on the Pentax version of this lens is long
              and easy to read. Contrasts favourably with the Tokina version,
              which appears to have a silly little window rather than a long,
              fully calibrated (or at least fully marked) scale.

              But unfortunately the live view function on the K-x screen has no
              zoom function, so I can't use it to check focus. What a pain! I
              couldn't BELIEVE it at first, and hunted carefully through all
              the menus and submenus, but couldn't find anything.

              It's not a disaster, though, as there is a very good 16.8:1
              zoom function available on screen for reviewing shots in memory.

              I'm wondering whether my lens should go back for a check, as the
              images generally tend to be on the soft side... but perhaps
              that's because I am doing all my checking at F/3.5.

              Actually I wouldn't care to use F/16 at 10mm as that certainly
              would be soft due to diffraction...

              Roger W.

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 3, 2010
                Roger,
                Flemming Larsen did some really meaningful test which you can find here:

                http://www.fvlmedia.dk/tokina107/dof.htm

                Yes, the focus scale of the atx is a joke, but I taped it as I said at the
                first 0 of 00 and
                all came out good @ F11-F16.
                At least as far as I could judge them, which could be insufficiant.

                Ciao
                Mike

                ----------------------------
                ----------------------------

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 3, 2010
                  Thanks again, Mike.

                  On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 00:56:42 +0900, ptgroup <ptgroup@...> wrote:

                  > Roger,
                  > Flemming Larsen did some really meaningful test which you can find here:
                  >
                  > http://www.fvlmedia.dk/tokina107/dof.htm

                  Yes, these are the best kind of tests. Actual photographs in something
                  like normal use. Very informative.

                  > Yes, the focus scale of the atx is a joke, but I taped it as I said at
                  > the first 0 of 00 and all came out good @ F11-F16.

                  Two comments on that. First, I was surprised to see how comparatively
                  little softening of the image there was at F/16 and even F/22 (although
                  it is obvious, it is not excessive). Second, the Pentax focus scale is
                  so different that "the first 0 or 00" doesn't mean anything.

                  My problem is that the optimum seems to be at 1.5m or 2.0m, both of
                  which come between the infinity mark and the 0.5m mark, so my nice long
                  Pentax focusing scale is no help at all! At the moment I cam getting
                  satisfactory results at F/11 with the setting midway between the 0.5m
                  mark and the infinity mark.

                  > At least as far as I could judge them, which could be insufficiant.

                  It is your judgment that matters. If it's too close to call, it's good
                  enough!

                  Roger W.