Whatever happened to Morp-to-Fit?

  • Fabio Bustamante
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30 5:40 PM
      A long time ago when I was first playing with Panotools I tried a bit
      with that morph to fit feature. I remeber finding the results a bit
      disappointng. If I remember right Panotools created triangles and
      stretched them around, with a pretty evident effect.

      With all those new image matching and editing tools I wonder if there
      aren't newer techniques that would morph images to fit perfectly without
      visible cues. Maybe a mild morphing using something like Photoshop's
      warp mode that could get rid of that stubborn slight misalignment once
      and for all.

      You know of anything like this being used?
    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2010
        Sometime around 30/9/10 (at 21:40 -0300) Fabio Bustamante said:

        >A long time ago when I was first playing with Panotools I tried a bit
        >with that morph to fit feature. I remeber finding the results a bit
        >disappointng. If I remember right Panotools created triangles and
        >stretched them around, with a pretty evident effect.

        Isn't a morph-to-fit process basically distorting images to work
        around errors of alignment? With the parallax problems in overlapping
        areas that misalignment usually brings, there's always going to be a
        serious limit to what that sort of thing can do.

        Mind you, this is, in a sense, what PTGui's Viewpoint Correction
        does; it uses a form of perspective distortion to 'warp' an image
        into the right plane.