Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Hyperfocal setting for Tokina/Pentax 10-17mm fisheye

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 30, 2010
      Yesterday it was 113F in Los Angeles -- the highest temp ever.
      That's 45C for all you foreigners :-)

      Roger D. Williams wrote:
      > On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 19:28:01 +0900, Hans <hans@...> wrote:
      >
      >> You should get much sharper than me. The Photokina panos are with the 5D
      >> 12mp at 10mm shaved which just gives me 6800x3400. You should get around
      >> 11500 pixels at 10mm.
      >
      > Yes, the pixel dimensions I can get are exactly as you say. But the images
      > are not sharp enough to take advantage of this. It does seem that I was
      > shooting nowhere near the hyperfocal setting, so I am taking further shots
      > and will see if quality improves. The dreadful summer-long heatwave here
      > in Japan (71 days of temperatures in the 30s) has continued after the
      > briefest of respites and I have not been getting out and about enough to
      > really thoroughly test this lens. It was 33C in Tokyo yesterday, with very
      > high humidity--unprecedented this far into September.
      >
      > Roger W.

    • Roger D. Williams
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 30, 2010
        On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 08:50:52 +0900, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>
        wrote:

        > Yesterday it was 113F in Los Angeles -- the highest temp ever.
        > That's 45C for all you foreigners :-)

        Yes, but in Tokyo it's not the heat, it's the humanity.

        Roger W.

        --
        Business: www.adex-japan.com
        Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2010
          Am 01.10.2010 05:13, schrieb Roger D. Williams:

          > Yes, but in Tokyo it's not the heat, it's the humanity.

          Humanity or humidity? ;-)

        • ptgroup
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2010
            Roger,
            I find the ATX stupid to focus.
            Setting to 0.5m should be the best at F 16.
            See at:
            http://www.netzserver2.de/ptgroup/atx107dof.jpg

            But hard to find 0.5m - I set at the first 0 of 00 and it works fine @12mm
            and F13-16.
            Although AF sets it just in the middle of 00.
            I really don´t know if the above posted table is correct or not.
            (Due to production varioation or whatever.)

            Ciao
            Mike

            ----------------------------
            ----------------------------
            360° VR Fotografie:
            http://www.360de.de

            NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
            http://www.abstraktfoto.de
            -----------------------------
            Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
            http://virtugraf.wordpress.com

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2010
              I didn't get that the first time I read it.

              That's pretty funny Roger! Good one!

              Erik Krause wrote:
              > Am 01.10.2010 05:13, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
              >
              >> Yes, but in Tokyo it's not the heat, it's the humanity.
              >
              > Humanity or humidity? ;-)

            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2010
                Thanks for the link, Mike.

                The focusing scale on the Pentax version of this lens is long
                and easy to read. Contrasts favourably with the Tokina version,
                which appears to have a silly little window rather than a long,
                fully calibrated (or at least fully marked) scale.

                But unfortunately the live view function on the K-x screen has no
                zoom function, so I can't use it to check focus. What a pain! I
                couldn't BELIEVE it at first, and hunted carefully through all
                the menus and submenus, but couldn't find anything.

                It's not a disaster, though, as there is a very good 16.8:1
                zoom function available on screen for reviewing shots in memory.

                I'm wondering whether my lens should go back for a check, as the
                images generally tend to be on the soft side... but perhaps
                that's because I am doing all my checking at F/3.5.

                Actually I wouldn't care to use F/16 at 10mm as that certainly
                would be soft due to diffraction...

                Roger W.

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 3, 2010
                  Roger,
                  Flemming Larsen did some really meaningful test which you can find here:

                  http://www.fvlmedia.dk/tokina107/dof.htm

                  Yes, the focus scale of the atx is a joke, but I taped it as I said at the
                  first 0 of 00 and
                  all came out good @ F11-F16.
                  At least as far as I could judge them, which could be insufficiant.

                  Ciao
                  Mike

                  ----------------------------
                  ----------------------------

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 3, 2010
                    Thanks again, Mike.

                    On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 00:56:42 +0900, ptgroup <ptgroup@...> wrote:

                    > Roger,
                    > Flemming Larsen did some really meaningful test which you can find here:
                    >
                    > http://www.fvlmedia.dk/tokina107/dof.htm

                    Yes, these are the best kind of tests. Actual photographs in something
                    like normal use. Very informative.

                    > Yes, the focus scale of the atx is a joke, but I taped it as I said at
                    > the first 0 of 00 and all came out good @ F11-F16.

                    Two comments on that. First, I was surprised to see how comparatively
                    little softening of the image there was at F/16 and even F/22 (although
                    it is obvious, it is not excessive). Second, the Pentax focus scale is
                    so different that "the first 0 or 00" doesn't mean anything.

                    My problem is that the optimum seems to be at 1.5m or 2.0m, both of
                    which come between the infinity mark and the 0.5m mark, so my nice long
                    Pentax focusing scale is no help at all! At the moment I cam getting
                    satisfactory results at F/11 with the setting midway between the 0.5m
                    mark and the infinity mark.

                    > At least as far as I could judge them, which could be insufficiant.

                    It is your judgment that matters. If it's too close to call, it's good
                    enough!

                    Roger W.