Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Sharp DOF in 360 spherical pano

  • A Kielcz
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30 1:55 PM
      Actually I did upload my Samyang 8mm pictures for your viewing here.
      Thank you!

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/aak071946/sets/72157625068649484/

      A Kielcz

      Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 30 2:36 PM
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

        > Actually I did upload my Samyang 8mm pictures for your viewing here.
        > Thank you!
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/aak071946/sets/72157625068649484/

        You can not evaluate anything from that size.

        You need a full resolution image

        Hans

        > A Kielcz
        >
        > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

      • A Kielcz
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 30 4:30 PM
          OK, I uploaded bigger images. Hope you can tell now.
          Thank you!

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/aak071946/sets/72157625069438228/

          A Kielcz

          Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 30 4:46 PM

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "gregoryv92821" <gregvoisan@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I use a Samyang 8mm with 4+up+down. What is the best way to get the sharpest DOF for my 360 spherical panos?
            > >

            > Set the lens at full aperture. Set focus at 1.5m. Shoot some testshots to check that it is sharp from 0.7 to infinity.

            The Samyang lens is known to have potential problems with it's focus scale alignment. You will probably need to do a series of test shots at various focus settings (possibly the entire range of focus settings) to find one that gets a sharp infinity setting. Be sure to use it wide open when you do this.

            Search the list for a thread about this issue, you should be able to find a great information source on how to adjust the Samyang and it's variants focus scale if your comfortable with altering your lens.

            good luck,

            Robert
          • Michel Thoby
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
              Gregory,

              Le 1 oct. 2010 à 01:46, robert a écrit :

              > > > I use a Samyang 8mm with 4+up+down. What is the best way to get the sharpest DOF for my 360 spherical panos?

              > > Set the lens at full aperture. Set focus at 1.5m. Shoot some testshots to check that it is sharp from 0.7 to infinity.
              > >
              > The Samyang lens is known to have potential problems with it's focus scale alignment. You will probably need to do a series of test shots at various focus settings (possibly the entire range of focus settings) to find one that gets a sharp infinity setting. Be sure to use it wide open when you do this.
              >
              > Search the list for a thread about this issue, you should be able to find a great information source on how to adjust the Samyang and it's variants focus scale if your comfortable with altering your lens.
              >
              > good luck,

              And you may read the article "Review of Samyang 8 mm f/3.5 Proportional Projection Ultra-wide Angle Lens" by Jeffrey R. Charles and especially the chapters 3.4 and 3.5:
              http://www.versacorp.com/vlink/jcreview/sy8rv9jc.pdf

              Best regards,

              Michel

            • Hans
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

                > OK, I uploaded bigger images. Hope you can tell now.
                > Thank you!
                >
                > http://www.flickr.com/photos/aak071946/sets/72157625069438228/

                I said full resolution. That means your original resolution from your camera.
                These are just 1080x680

                Hans