Sharp DOF in 360 spherical pano

  • gregoryv92821
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2010
      I use a Samyang 8mm with 4+up+down. What is the best way to get the sharpest DOF for my 360 spherical panos?
    • Bjørn K Nilssen
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 30, 2010
        På Thu, 30 Sep 2010 14:19:02 +0200, skrev gregoryv92821
        <gregvoisan@...>:

        > I use a Samyang 8mm with 4+up+down. What is the best way to get the
        > sharpest DOF for my 360 spherical panos?

        Use f8, 11 or 16.
        The higher-f/smaller aperture the more DOF, but you start losing some
        general sharpness due to diffraction.

        --
        Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.
      • Hans
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 30, 2010
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "gregoryv92821" <gregvoisan@...> wrote:

          > I use a Samyang 8mm with 4+up+down. What is the best way to get the sharpest DOF for my 360 spherical panos?

          Set the lens at full aperture. Set focus at 1.5m. Shoot some testshots to check that it is sharp from 0.7 to infinity.

          If it is OK just Tape it or just remember to always shoot at 1.5m.
          You can now use it at any aperture and you have minimum sharpness from 0.7m

          Also do some testshots at F5.6 and F8 and see how much it improves in sharpness especially at the edges..

          Hans
        • A Kielcz
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 30, 2010
            What a coincidence...
            My Samyang is not sharp at these recommended settings no matter what aperture I use. Is there something I'm overlooking?
            I wish I could upload images.

            A Kielcz

            Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 30, 2010
              Actually I did upload my Samyang 8mm pictures for your viewing here.
              Thank you!

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/aak071946/sets/72157625068649484/

              A Kielcz

              Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 30, 2010
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

                > Actually I did upload my Samyang 8mm pictures for your viewing here.
                > Thank you!
                >
                > http://www.flickr.com/photos/aak071946/sets/72157625068649484/

                You can not evaluate anything from that size.

                You need a full resolution image

                Hans

                > A Kielcz
                >
                > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

              • A Kielcz
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 30, 2010
                  OK, I uploaded bigger images. Hope you can tell now.
                  Thank you!

                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/aak071946/sets/72157625069438228/

                  A Kielcz

                  Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 30, 2010

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "gregoryv92821" <gregvoisan@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I use a Samyang 8mm with 4+up+down. What is the best way to get the sharpest DOF for my 360 spherical panos?
                    > >

                    > Set the lens at full aperture. Set focus at 1.5m. Shoot some testshots to check that it is sharp from 0.7 to infinity.

                    The Samyang lens is known to have potential problems with it's focus scale alignment. You will probably need to do a series of test shots at various focus settings (possibly the entire range of focus settings) to find one that gets a sharp infinity setting. Be sure to use it wide open when you do this.

                    Search the list for a thread about this issue, you should be able to find a great information source on how to adjust the Samyang and it's variants focus scale if your comfortable with altering your lens.

                    good luck,

                    Robert
                  • Michel Thoby
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
                      Gregory,

                      Le 1 oct. 2010 à 01:46, robert a écrit :

                      > > > I use a Samyang 8mm with 4+up+down. What is the best way to get the sharpest DOF for my 360 spherical panos?

                      > > Set the lens at full aperture. Set focus at 1.5m. Shoot some testshots to check that it is sharp from 0.7 to infinity.
                      > >
                      > The Samyang lens is known to have potential problems with it's focus scale alignment. You will probably need to do a series of test shots at various focus settings (possibly the entire range of focus settings) to find one that gets a sharp infinity setting. Be sure to use it wide open when you do this.
                      >
                      > Search the list for a thread about this issue, you should be able to find a great information source on how to adjust the Samyang and it's variants focus scale if your comfortable with altering your lens.
                      >
                      > good luck,

                      And you may read the article "Review of Samyang 8 mm f/3.5 Proportional Projection Ultra-wide Angle Lens" by Jeffrey R. Charles and especially the chapters 3.4 and 3.5:
                      http://www.versacorp.com/vlink/jcreview/sy8rv9jc.pdf

                      Best regards,

                      Michel

                    • Hans
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

                        > OK, I uploaded bigger images. Hope you can tell now.
                        > Thank you!
                        >
                        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/aak071946/sets/72157625069438228/

                        I said full resolution. That means your original resolution from your camera.
                        These are just 1080x680

                        Hans