Re: Foveon Sensor and Sigma DSLR Images

  • Thomas Kr├╝ger
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2010
      I have the small Sigma DP2. The quality is excellent, you can upsize the
      image for the factor 2 without problems. Factor 3 as claimed by Sigma is a
      marketing hype, that doesn't work.

      Next point is the crippled raw format of the Sigma raw files. That means you
      have to use the Sigma software to convert your images, with is a PITA
      because there is no possibiliy to integrate a color profile into the
      workflow. With the X3F Tool (third party software) you can use color
      profiles for the SD files, but not for DP files.
      Thread about the X3F Tool:
      http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=34497001
      Sigma Links: http://www.stv.ee/~donq/sigma.htm

      With the files from the Sigma DP series you can use Lightroom, but you have
      to convert to DNG to generate color profiles from the Colorchecker Passport.
      But with the next version of Lightroom this should be possible also directly
      from X3F Sigma raw files.

      So check your necessary workflow and your needs before buying into a Sigma
      system. Think about the loooong product story of the SD series...