Re: [PanoToolsNG] Rockefeller Center Tree lighting pano

  • Pat Swovelin
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 4, 2006
      Jook Leung wrote:
      > The foot print from the BoPhoto lens bracket is very small:
      > http://www.bophoto.com/bracket/bracket-Nikon-105mm.html

      It's amazing how many people are taking pictures of it with their crappy
      phone cameras...

      > Jook

      Pat Swovelin
      Cool Guy @ Large
    • Ian
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 4, 2006
        One thing to remember is that Jook is the acknowledged master of crowd panoramas... :-)

        A few tips:
        Only set control points on distant, fixed objects such as the buildings, ignoring the crowd
        totally at this point.
        Output to layered PSD, you can then edit the layer masks to manually choose where the
        images overlap - if there is enough overlap between the images you can usually find a
        point where you don't end up with half people. Smartblend can do some of this
        automatically.
        Shoot really quickly and/or watch the areas where the images will overlap really carefully,
        and take the next image when everyone is still in the same position.

        Ian

        P.S. Jook - another great one!

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "August F. Young III" <august@...> wrote:

        > Hey all
        > I am new here and just wonder how you guys do the 4 point panos in crowds
        > without no visible errors in the final product.
        > esp on a tall mount or pole
        > Thanks!
        > August
      • Pat Swovelin
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 4, 2006
          Ian wrote:
          > One thing to remember is that Jook is the acknowledged master of crowd
          > panoramas... :-)
          >
          > A few tips:
          > Only set control points on distant, fixed objects such as the
          > buildings, ignoring the crowd
          > totally at this point.

          If your crowd isn't shoulder to shoulder like this one from Jook and you
          can see fixed points on the ground is it good to put CPs on them or
          should you still only use just distant objects (and fix things later in
          the layer masks)?

          > Output to layered PSD, you can then edit the layer masks to manually
          > choose where the
          > images overlap - if there is enough overlap between the images you can
          > usually find a
          > point where you don't end up with half people. Smartblend can do some
          > of this
          > automatically.

          When doing crowd panos is it better to use Smartblend vs. PTGui's blender?

          > Shoot really quickly and/or watch the areas where the images will
          > overlap really carefully,
          > and take the next image when everyone is still in the same position.
          >
          > Ian
          >
          > P.S. Jook - another great one!
          >
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "August F. Young III" <august@...>
          > wrote:
          >> Hey all
          >> I am new here and just wonder how you guys do the 4 point panos in crowds
          >> without no visible errors in the final product.
          >> esp on a tall mount or pole
          >> Thanks!
          >> August

          Pat Swovelin
          Cool Guy @ Large
        • Ian Wood
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 4, 2006
            On 4 Dec 2006, at 20:34, Pat Swovelin wrote:

            > Ian wrote:
            >> A few tips:
            >> Only set control points on distant, fixed objects such as the
            >> buildings,

            > If your crowd isn't shoulder to shoulder like this one from Jook
            > and you
            > can see fixed points on the ground is it good to put CPs on them

            If you can see fixed things closer by, use them!

            > When doing crowd panos is it better to use Smartblend vs. PTGui's
            > blender?

            I've still not got around to actually using Smartblend being mostly
            Mac-based, so it's a question of try it and see.

            Ian
          • Fulvio Senore
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
              Pat Swovelin ha scritto:
              >> Output to layered PSD, you can then edit the layer masks to manually
              >> choose where the
              >> images overlap - if there is enough overlap between the images you can
              >> usually find a
              >> point where you don't end up with half people. Smartblend can do some
              >> of this
              >> automatically.
              >>

              > When doing crowd panos is it better to use Smartblend vs. PTGui's blender?

              Yes, I am using it and it does a much better job of placing seams around
              heads instead if cutting them in half.

              Here is an example:

              http://www.fsoft.it/temp/Seghino.htm

              I purposely put it online some time ago without manual editing, it is the direct smartblend output.
              I took 13 shots at 28mm eq while people was moving: the other blenders' result is much worse. Here there are many errors (of course), but they are much less visible. Other blenders cut flag poles, for example.

              Fulvio Senore