A stereo panorama kiosk

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2010
      http://www.mediavr.com/formkiosk.jpg

      Here is a stereo panorama kiosk I made recently. It is for an architecture exhibition (about architects inspired by the aerospace industry). My bit of it (just the kiosk) has interior and exterior stereo panoramas of a Qantas A380, plus a Google Warehouse A380 model object movie. The monitor is a Zalman 24" HD stereo monitor (horizontally interlaced polarized) I made all the content, including the panoramas, as object movies, with Object2VR, running in IE in kiosk mode with a right click disabled mouse (you cannot turn off Flash right click menus with a system tweak). I rendered the panorama views (90*2 per panorama) with PTGui, converted them to avis and interlaced them with Stereomovie Maker (and then converted them to bmps). I used very low compression on the interlaced frames to optimize stereo quality. I used Object2VR as it was the cheapest and quickest solution -- and the panoramas were not spherical anyway. I tried a SSD to see if that made the playback smoother but it made no difference (CPU performance was the bottleneck).
      Hopefully I will be able to put anaglyph versions online soon.

      There are some issues with this kiosk stereo-wise --- the main one is that you have to be sort of the right height to see it properly. Also its situation is reflection prone. But at least you dont have to worry about the cheap glasses and the image is bright and sharp looking. Ideally I would have used twin polarized projection in some sort of dim area.

      Peter M
    • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2010
        Hi Peter!

        --
        L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
        felipe@...

      • Scott Witte
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 28, 2010
          Peter,

          Nice project.

          Could you give us a comparison? What is the size of the object movie in
          MB and what would it be as a simple cylindrical VR. Also, what are the
          dimensions in pixels? I'm trying to understand how much more it takes in
          resources to make stereo VR vs a standard one.

          You weren't happy with the smoothness of the playback and feel the CPU
          was the bottleneck. What CPU are you using. i.e. could you have used
          something much better and gotten better results or are you at the limit
          of technology currently?

          I think stereo could be a major feature in the future so I find this
          quite interesting.

          Scott

          On 9/27/2010 7:01 PM, panovrx wrote:
          > http://www.mediavr.com/formkiosk.jpg
          >
          > Here is a stereo panorama kiosk I made recently.

          --
          Scott Witte

          <http://www.scottwitte.com>
          <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
          414.345.9660
          Member, IVRPA

        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 28, 2010
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Witte <scottw@...> wrote:

            > Could you give us a comparison? What is the size of the object movie in
            > MB and what would it be as a simple cylindrical VR. Also, what are the
            > dimensions in pixels? I'm trying to understand how much more it takes in
            > resources to make stereo VR vs a standard one.
            >
            > You weren't happy with the smoothness of the playback and feel the CPU
            > was the bottleneck. What CPU are you using. i.e. could you have used
            > something much better and gotten better results or are you at the limit
            > of technology currently?

            There are lots of ways of showing stereo panoramas but I used object movies because the PC I could use was kind of old and I wanted to used interlaced frames because that was what the monitor supported. Each object movie (90 frames 1920*1080) was about 20 meg. It was smooth enough but not like butter like we expect now with regular panos.

            Other ways include the glpanorama stereo player
            http://www.gali-3d.com/archive/articles/VFX3D_headtracking/Headtracking.php
            which is quite fast for interlaced panoramas even on old hardware but it has interface issues for a kiosk

            Then you could use anaglyph panoramas where there are no hardware restrictions.

            It is possible to do interlaced Flash panos directly as a user on the Pano2VR forum has shown but he has not released his scripting and it seemed a little slow.

            Other methods include using hardware OpenGl stereo hardware and shutter glasses and players like BSContact Stereo (which supports stereo textures in 3d worlds), or you can use Director and output side by side synced panoramas on a double width desktop and send the monitor output to two polarized projectors showing on a silver screen.
            Both are fine for stereo panoramas on modern hardware but have various issues for public kiosks.

            Peter M