Running 2 PTgui at once . A test

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 24, 2010
      Some people have asked if you would have some benefit with running 2 instances of PTgui at once with 2 cores on each.
      The answer is simple.
      NO.

      I have done the test as you can very easy on a Mac create a duplicate PTGui and open both.
      I have an iMac i7 with 8 threads as auto setting but using 2 is the fastest.

      My test set was an 8 images 16bit - 21 mp images and output 14800x7400 16bit.

      Time for running it with one PTGui was 3.35
      Running 2 identical panoramas with 2 PTGui took 16.15

      Hans
    • Bostjan Burger
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 24, 2010
        I can confirm. Did similar test with 12 images and got similar resoults.

        Bostjan

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 24, 2010
          On 9-24-2010 12:18 AM, Hans's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
          typed ...:
          > Some people have asked if you would have some benefit with running 2
          > instances of PTgui at once with 2 cores on each.
          > The answer is simple.
          > NO.
          >
          > I have done the test as you can very easy on a Mac create a duplicate
          > PTGui and open both.
          > I have an iMac i7 with 8 threads as auto setting but using 2 is the
          > fastest.
          >
          > My test set was an 8 images 16bit - 21 mp images and output 14800x7400
          > 16bit.
          >
          > Time for running it with one PTGui was 3.35
          > Running 2 identical panoramas with 2 PTGui took 16.15

          *Thanks* for testing it, Hans.

          > Hans

          Pat Swovelin
          Cool Guy @ Large

        • Thomas Bredenfeld
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2010
            hi pat!

            just fyi: your messages are some days late. you should adjust your pc's
            clock/calendar to get your messages sorted properly on the list ;-)

            cheers
            thomas