Re: Fuji S2Pro and Nikon 10.5mm

  • John Houghton
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, du ca <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > i am using PTmac, a Fuji S2Pro and a nikon 10.5mm lens.
      > Does someone of you know what the right setting are in PTmac for the
      > Lens settings, such as focal length, Focal length multiplier, and
      > HFOV?

      Assuming you are intending to make 360 degree panoramas, the hfov in
      portrait orientation is around 86 degrees. A more accurate figure is
      not needed as this will be evaluated during optimization when you run
      PTMac. You will find a 10.5mm stitching tutorial on the PTMac site at:
      http://www.kekus.com/tutorials/index.html
      You don't need the other figures, but the focal length is in fact
      10.5mm, and the multiplier is 1.55 or thereabouts.

      John
    • Robert C. Fisher
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
        Hi Duri
        I used this lens/camera combo until I upgraded to the D200 a few
        months ago. In most ways I still like the images that the S2 gives
        but I like the speed of the D200 more. My settings for the D200 are
        full frame fisheye, 1.5 multiplier, 89 degrees HFOV. When you
        optimize they will change a bit but these are a good starting point.
        I would do a careful optimization then save these settings in the
        lens database so you can just call on them when you use that combo.

        On Dec 3, 2006, at 5:43 AM, du ca wrote:

        > Hi
        > i am using PTmac, a Fuji S2Pro and a nikon 10.5mm lens.
        > Does someone of you know what the right setting are in PTmac for the
        > Lens settings, such as focal length, Focal length multiplier, and
        > HFOV?
        >
        > thanx
        >
        > DUri CAmpell
        > Bäckerstrasse 58

        Cheers
        Robert C. Fisher
        VR Photography/Cinematography
      • Rookie2
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
          John, do you know if there is 10.5mm stitching tutorial on PC as well?
          (preferably with Hugin but I suppose Ptgui works more or less the same way)

          Thanks,

          John Houghton wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, du ca <yahoo@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> i am using PTmac, a Fuji S2Pro and a nikon 10.5mm lens.
          >> Does someone of you know what the right setting are in PTmac for the
          >> Lens settings, such as focal length, Focal length multiplier, and
          >> HFOV?
          >>
          > Assuming you are intending to make 360 degree panoramas, the hfov in
          > portrait orientation is around 86 degrees. A more accurate figure is
          > not needed as this will be evaluated during optimization when you run
          > PTMac. You will find a 10.5mm stitching tutorial on the PTMac site at:
          > http://www.kekus.com/tutorials/index.html
          > You don't need the other figures, but the focal length is in fact
          > 10.5mm, and the multiplier is 1.55 or thereabouts.
          >
          > John

        • John Houghton
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Rookie2 <mahmood_hamidi@...> wrote:

            > John, do you know if there is 10.5mm stitching tutorial on PC as well?

            I don't know of one specifically for the Nikkor lens. However, the
            stitching procedure is very little different to stitching circular
            fisheye images. You just specify the lens type as "Full frame fisheye"
            and you don't have the complication of defining a circular crop around
            the edge of the image circle. The hfov can be initialised to around 87
            degrees for a portrait image (the precise value is unimportant).
            Otherwise, you should be able to follow any of the circular fisheye
            tutorials available.

            If you don't have any previous experience of stitching with Hugin, then
            it would be good idea to start by learning to stitch 4 or 5 images in a
            single row taken with a standard camera lens.

            John
          • Rookie2
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
              Thanks John,

              I have some experience of Hugin and standard lens. Stitched both 2 rows and
              3 rows (16 and 12 images per row) in Hugin but none of them included zenith
              or nadir. Now I have bought the 10.5mm lens and want to try 6 around + 1
              zenith and optionally 1 nadir shot. I'm just not so comfortable with the
              stitching of the zenith shot and afterwards the nadir shot.

              Regards,

              John Houghton wrote:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Rookie2 <mahmood_hamidi@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> John, do you know if there is 10.5mm stitching tutorial on PC as well?
              >
              > I don't know of one specifically for the Nikkor lens. However, the
              > stitching procedure is very little different to stitching circular
              > fisheye images. You just specify the lens type as "Full frame fisheye"
              > and you don't have the complication of defining a circular crop around
              > the edge of the image circle. The hfov can be initialised to around 87
              > degrees for a portrait image (the precise value is unimportant).
              > Otherwise, you should be able to follow any of the circular fisheye
              > tutorials available.
              >
              > If you don't have any previous experience of stitching with Hugin, then
              > it would be good idea to start by learning to stitch 4 or 5 images in a
              > single row taken with a standard camera lens.
              >
              > John

            • ptgroup
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
                Yes: just follow the tutorials (Johns is a good start) but
                change the lens to fullframe with 87 degrees - set the crop and that´s it.
                Just save the parameters to use them as a template later and the lens - settings for future use.

                Works perfekt.
                Ciao
                Mike

                Mit freundlichen Grüßen
                HMS
                M. Hundrieser

                Neu:
                Unsere Virtugrafien im Stern- Online Magazin "View":
                http://view.stern.de/fc/user/23807/

                Besuchen sie doch unsere neue "Sphärische Galerie" unter:
                http://www.netzserver1.de/pg
                -------------------------
                http://www.compulanz.de
                http://www.virtugraf.de
                mailto: hmsmail@...
                -------------------------

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 4, 2006
                  wrote:

                  > I'm just not so comfortable with the
                  > stitching of the zenith shot and afterwards the nadir shot.

                  A zenith shot taken on the panohead can usually be optimized and
                  stitched in with the horizontal images. Just treat it the same as
                  any of the other images, but setting an initial pitch parameter of
                  90. However, there can be complications with cloudy skies because of
                  the time factor, when clouds can move a lot between the first and
                  last shot. In such circumstances, you might need to add in the
                  zenith in the same way as a handheld nadir, to give an opportunity to
                  do some seam editing in Photoshop.

                  Once the horizontals (possibly plus zenith) have been satisfactorily
                  optimized into position, you can add the nadir to the project.
                  Assign a few control points between it and the other images, and
                  optimize only the parameters for the nadir. i.e. uncheck all the
                  parameters for the other images. Elect to have individual parameters
                  for the nadir, and optimize its fov along with y,p,r and maybe d and
                  e. Don't worry if the optimizer result is not very good. Then
                  generate two equirectangular images: one containing only the
                  horizontals + zenith, and one containing only the nadir. (If adding
                  in the zenith separately too, then the second equirectangular should
                  contain both the nadir and zenith). As Hugin does not have a
                  facility to selectively include/exclude images from the stitch like
                  PTGui, you will have to delete images to achieve this, but make sure
                  you have saved the project containing all the images first. Then you
                  need to extract rectilinear views of nadir/zenith regions for merging
                  in Photoshop. That can be done in various ways. For further details,
                  see tutorials at:

                  http://wiki.panotools.org/Tutorials
                  http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.houghton/360tute.htm

                  John
                • Krzysztof
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 4, 2006
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...>
                    wrote:
                    > As Hugin does not have a facility to selectively include/exclude
                    > images from the stitch like PTGui

                    Hello John,

                    I know You are PTGui user, I am hugin.

                    It is possible in hugin, too.
                    In File > Preferences > Misc is option to check - Optimize and stitch only
                    images selected in preview window.

                    --
                    Regards,
                    Krzysztof
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 4, 2006
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Krzysztof" <blok34c@...> wrote:
                      > It is possible in hugin, too.
                      > In File > Preferences > Misc is option to check - Optimize and stitch
                      > only images selected in preview window.

                      Thanks for pointing that out. I did look carefully for such a feature
                      but it didn't occur to me that it might be hidden away in the
                      preferences.

                      John