QTVR Authoring Studio - outputs garbage images

  • William Donelson
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 3, 2006
      I am trying to convert a 6000 x 2300 cylindrical pano pic into QTVR using QTVR Authoring
      Studio (which used to work under Classic / OSX) but now the output is scrambled garbage
      images/VR panos.

      Any solutions?

      ( I am running OSX 10.4.8 )
    • William Donelson
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 3, 2006
        Looks like I cannot do any source pix larger than about 4000 x 1700...

        Smaller source pix seem to work okay.

        Is there any way around this?

        Thanks

      • panokaemena@mac.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 3, 2006
          I think you have to increase the memory for QTVRAS under classic.....

          Willy

          On Dec 3, 2006, at 13:10, William Donelson wrote:

          > Looks like I cannot do any source pix larger than about 4000 x 1700...
          >
          > Smaller source pix seem to work okay.
          >
          > Is there any way around this?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "William Donelson" <wd@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am trying to convert a 6000 x 2300 cylindrical pano pic into
          > QTVR using QTVR
          > Authoring
          > > Studio (which used to work under Classic / OSX) but now the
          > output is scrambled
          > garbage
          > > images/VR panos.
          > >
          > > Any solutions?
          > >
          > > ( I am running OSX 10.4.8 )

        • Carl von Einem
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 3, 2006
            memory allocation is important, a good hint from Willy. Make sure you disable
            unneccessary extensions (and fonts in ATM...) How much RAM do you have, how
            much does the system want?

            http://wiki.panotools.org/QTVRAS provides a link to the 1.0.1 update. Do you
            have that?

            Can you put an example for this problem somewhere on your web site so that
            we can have a look at it?

            Your source is a .tif or .pct in cylindrical projection... did you feed it
            into QTVRAS in landscape mode or 90 deg. rotated and does that make a
            difference?

            Ken Turkowski once suggested to turn off "intermediate progress display" in
            the preferences of QTVRAS.

            6000 x 2300 looks like a relatively large fov... Maybe you need Ken's
            "QuickTime VR Authoring Studio 160 patch", available at
            http://www.worldserver.com/turk/quicktimevr/QTVRlinks.html

            Is there a special reason for a cylindrical QTVR .mov?
            If everything fails to work: why not convert the cylindrical into
            equirectangular projection, add canvas to achieve a 2:1 aspect ratio and
            center your image's "horizon". Then feed into e.g. one of the freeware apps
            that can output Cubic QTVR and restrict pitch. Even easier: use
            CubicConverter.

            hope that helps,
            Carl

            William Donelson wrote:
            > Looks like I cannot do any source pix larger than about 4000 x 1700...
            > Smaller source pix seem to work okay.
            > >
            > > I am trying to convert a 6000 x 2300 cylindrical pano pic into QTVR
            > using
            > > QTVR Authoring Studio (which used to work under Classic / OSX) but now
            > > the output is scrambled garbage images/VR panos.
            > > ( I am running OSX 10.4.8 )

          • William Donelson
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 3, 2006
              Hmmm...

              How do you increase an app's memory when running Classic under OSX ?

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, panokaemena@... wrote:

              > I think you have to increase the memory for QTVRAS under classic.....
              >
              > Willy
              >

              > On Dec 3, 2006, at 13:10, William Donelson wrote:
              >
              > > Looks like I cannot do any source pix larger than about 4000 x 1700...
              > >
              > > Smaller source pix seem to work okay.
              > >
              > > Is there any way around this?
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > >
              > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "William Donelson" <wd@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I am trying to convert a 6000 x 2300 cylindrical pano pic into
              > > QTVR using QTVR
              > > Authoring
              > > > Studio (which used to work under Classic / OSX) but now the
              > > output is scrambled
              > > garbage
              > > > images/VR panos.
              > > >
              > > > Any solutions?
              > > >
              > > > ( I am running OSX 10.4.8 )

            • Carl von Einem
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 3, 2006
                In Finder choose 'Macintosh Help' from Menu: Help

                Search for
                memory classic application
                (or similar keywords, I'm on German 10.3.9 system here)

                You will find
                - Adjusting the memory allocation for the Classic environment
                (very interesting, that is about increasing temporary memory for the
                classic environment)
                - How to set memory use for Classic Applications

                I used http://search.info.apple.com/ to find the correct English article
                titles.

                Basically just click on the program icon, open the program's information
                window, and in the 'memory' section increase the 'preferred' memory size.

                Carl

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 3, 2006
                  QTVRAS already has 244 MB of RAM allocated in Classic 9...

                  I would be amazed if that's not enough already...

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 3, 2006
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "William Donelson" <wd@...> wrote:

                    > QTVRAS already has 244 MB of RAM allocated in Classic 9...
                    > I would be amazed if that's not enough already...

                    how about what I wrote in
                    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/4448

                    Carl
                  • William Donelson
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
                      Carl

                      Thanks. The Turkowski patch is not relevant - only for 160° FOVs.

                      I'm not ready yet to get into using many different apps just to get my QTVRs, I'd rather
                      look into fixing/memorating QTVRAS right now.

                      I don't see how to increase the RAM allocated to QTVRAS when running OSX with Classic 9
                      yet...

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "disiszarl" <einem@...> wrote:

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "William Donelson" <wd@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > QTVRAS already has 244 MB of RAM allocated in Classic 9...
                      > > I would be amazed if that's not enough already...
                      >
                      > how about what I wrote in
                      > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/4448
                      >
                      > Carl

                    • Hans Nyberg
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "William Donelson" <wd@...> wrote:

                        > Carl
                        >
                        > Thanks. The Turkowski patch is not relevant - only for 160° FOVs.
                        >
                        > I'm not ready yet to get into using many different apps just to get my QTVRs, I'd rather
                        > look into fixing/memorating QTVRAS right now.
                        >
                        > I don't see how to increase the RAM allocated to QTVRAS when running OSX with Classic
                        9

                        It is not different than it was in OS9.
                        INFO- Memory - set minimum/preferred size

                        You can read all about it here.
                        http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/classic/

                        Applications:
                        http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh867.html

                        Setting memory for Classic environment.
                        http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh1834.html

                        Hans
                      • panokaemena@mac.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
                          Good question..... as you see the Classic App only under OSX
                          environment there you can see the RAM dedicated to QTVRAS but you
                          cannot change it....

                          From my point of view the time has come to make a quantum leap to
                          OSX apps like PTgui etc.

                          Willy

                          On Dec 4, 2006, at 15:04, William Donelson wrote:

                          > Carl
                          >
                          > Thanks. The Turkowski patch is not relevant - only for 160° FOVs.
                          >
                          > I'm not ready yet to get into using many different apps just to get
                          > my QTVRs, I'd rather
                          > look into fixing/memorating QTVRAS right now.
                          >
                          > I don't see how to increase the RAM allocated to QTVRAS when
                          > running OSX with Classic 9
                          > yet...

                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "disiszarl" <einem@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "William Donelson" <wd@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > QTVRAS already has 244 MB of RAM allocated in Classic 9...
                          > > > I would be amazed if that's not enough already...
                          > >
                          > > how about what I wrote in
                          > > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/4448
                          > >
                          > > Carl

                        • Carl von Einem
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
                            Hi William,

                            can you send me your source file directly? I have a working QTVRAS (on
                            my older 867 MHz G4 with a little bit over 1 GB RAM) and can try if it
                            works here. Without seeing the broken .mov or having more information
                            about your lens / setup / workflow it's not easy to tell where the
                            problem can be.

                            Carl

                            Posted by: "William Donelson"

                            > Thanks. The Turkowski patch is not relevant - only for 160° FOVs.
                            >
                            > I'm not ready yet to get into using many different apps just to get my
                            > QTVRs, I'd rather look into fixing/memorating QTVRAS right now.
                            >
                            > I don't see how to increase the RAM allocated to QTVRAS when running OSX
                            > with Classic 9 yet...
                          • William Donelson
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
                              Hans

                              Got it, thanks.

                              However, increasing app memory size to 750k did not fix the problem of scrambled
                              output. Input source pic size: 6000 x 2332

                              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "William Donelson" <wd@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Carl
                              > >
                              > > Thanks. The Turkowski patch is not relevant - only for 160° FOVs.
                              > >
                              > > I'm not ready yet to get into using many different apps just to get my QTVRs, I'd
                              rather
                              > > look into fixing/memorating QTVRAS right now.
                              > >
                              > > I don't see how to increase the RAM allocated to QTVRAS when running OSX with
                              Classic
                              > 9
                              >
                              > It is not different than it was in OS9.
                              > INFO- Memory - set minimum/preferred size
                              >
                              > You can read all about it here.
                              > http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/classic/
                              >
                              > Applications:
                              > http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh867.html
                              >
                              > Setting memory for Classic environment.
                              > http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh1834.html
                              >
                              > Hans

                            • Hans Nyberg
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "William Donelson" <wd@...> wrote:

                                > Hans
                                >
                                > Got it, thanks.
                                >
                                > However, increasing app memory size to 750k did not fix the problem of scrambled
                                > output. Input source pic size: 6000 x 2332

                                750k
                                ?
                                My QTVRAS is set to 10000 kb min and 16384 kb preferred
                                I have never used it but I just tried it on my G5 in Tiger 10.4.8

                                filesize 4000x10240 pixels pict.
                                Everything works fine.

                                Hans
                              • Kathy Wheeler
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
                                  On 05/12/2006, at 11:52 AM, Hans Nyberg wrote:
                                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "William Donelson" <wd@...> wrote:
                                  >> However, increasing app memory size to 750k did not fix the
                                  >> problem of scrambled
                                  >> output. Input source pic size: 6000 x 2332
                                  >
                                  > 750k
                                  > ?
                                  > My QTVRAS is set to 10000 kb min and 16384 kb preferred
                                  > I have never used it but I just tried it on my G5 in Tiger 10.4.8
                                  >
                                  > filesize 4000x10240 pixels pict.
                                  > Everything works fine.

                                  It's the over 4000px that causes the problem from memory (no pun
                                  intended). There's a patch for that but I presume William already has
                                  it? Otherwise "750k" sounds way too small for even a 4000px wide
                                  image to stitch ... must be a typo?

                                  Cheers,
                                  KathyW.
                                • Carl von Einem
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
                                    With '750k' he should be referring to 750,000 as the memory size is
                                    displayed in KB in that dialog.

                                    Maybe it's a corrupted 'QTVR Authoring Studio Prefs' file? It's no
                                    problem to delete that and than try with fresh standard settings. I
                                    could make screenshots from my settings so that he can use the same and
                                    try again with a fresh preferences file.

                                    There was indeed a limitation for the file size dimension (in pixels).
                                    But I think that was a problem of the .pct file format that could be
                                    easily dealt with in rotating the source file 90 degrees. The limit was
                                    on the x-axis only...

                                    It works on my system with a standard JPG in landscape orientation
                                    (provided by William) without problems. QTVRAS is not fast but was
                                    always a reliable working horse for me.

                                    I'd still like to see an example of that scrambled output. Maybe he can
                                    post it and some of us could have a look at it with deliVRator.

                                    QTVRAS is still used by several wwp participants on a regular basis:
                                    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=qtvras+site:geoimages.berkeley.edu

                                    Carl

                                    Posted by: "Kathy Wheeler"

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
                                      I;ve tried everything except deleting the Prefs file.

                                      If I delete that, it asks me for the Reg Code, which I have lost somewhere back in the fog
                                      of the 1990s...

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
                                        I got it to work.

                                        I was using "1 vertical tile" for the 6000 x 2332 source pic. If I go to TWO tiles, then it works
                                        fine.

                                        Must be some sort of compression/read/write limit...

                                        Thanks to all.
                                      • Kathy Wheeler
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 6, 2006
                                          Congratulations William. You get the prize for dogged
                                          perseverance :-) Well done and tks for posting your solution.

                                          Cheers,
                                          KathyW.