averaging

  • jeffrey
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2006
      I do agree with erik krause that it is possible to get a whole RAW
      file into a 16-bit tiff (although what you do with it afterwards to
      make it look nice can be tricky).

      however you can't always fit the whole dynamic range of course into a
      raw file. who else averages bracketed images into one 16-bit tiff to
      achieve this? it seems to work quite nicely (though again, tweaking
      this "flat" image to look nice requires some tricks)

      furthermore, it seems that tonemapping one of these single averaged
      16-bit tiffs, seems to give the same result as 3 bracketed panoramas,
      fed into the tonemapping.... can anyone else confirm this? it could be
      a solution for those who want to tonemap panoramas but don't want to
      stitch 3 times more.