Pano2VR v3beta1 HTML5 panos on iPad.

  • erik_leeman
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2010
      Hi all,

      One of the results of our wonderful meeting in Plymouth was that now even *I* own an iPad : )
      Primary reason to buy one was the possibility to use it as an electronic portfolio for interactive VR-panoramas, with the new Pano2VR v3(beta) as source for HTML5 material. A fellow Pano2VR forum member suggested using the app 'GoodReader' for storing and displaying my collection of pano files on the iPad, so Jailbreaking wasn't necessary.

      So for a while now I've been busy trying to find good settings for showing my panos on the iPad, and one of the things I did was adapt an old test pano for use on the iPad.

      Maybe this test pano (or its concept) could be of use to other iPad users as well, so I posted it with some explanation in the Pano2VR forum. Perhaps some of the members of this list would like to have a look as well, here's a link:

      <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4935>

      Cheers!

      Erik Leeman

      (<http://www.erikleeman.com> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/>)
    • Willy Kaemena
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2010
        Congratulation Erik!
        Welcome to the club....

        I bought my iPad also mainly as a portfolio viewer beside of MANY useful things you can do with it.
        My preferred viewer app. is PangeaVR HD. It enables you to have up to 1000 (only at the moment) locally stored panoramas on your iPad and the way to get them on it or to update them could not be easier.

        It is being done via iTunes.
        - connect the iPad to your computer
        - the iPad appears in iTunes under DEVICES
        - click on it
        - go to the app. Tab
        - go to the bottom part of that window "File Sharing"
        - Select PangeaVR HD
        - click ADD... and navigate to the equirects prepared for the iPad ... done
        They will appear in the PangeaVR HD in the folder "Archives" and they will be sorted alphabetically.
        Dont forget to adjust the drag sensitivity and drift in the settings.

        Willy

        On Sep 3, 2010, at 18:17, erik_leeman wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > One of the results of our wonderful meeting in Plymouth was that now even *I* own an iPad : )
        > Primary reason to buy one was the possibility to use it as an electronic portfolio for interactive VR-panoramas, with the new Pano2VR v3(beta) as source for HTML5 material. A fellow Pano2VR forum member suggested using the app 'GoodReader' for storing and displaying my collection of pano files on the iPad, so Jailbreaking wasn't necessary.
        >
        > So for a while now I've been busy trying to find good settings for showing my panos on the iPad, and one of the things I did was adapt an old test pano for use on the iPad.
        >
        > Maybe this test pano (or its concept) could be of use to other iPad users as well, so I posted it with some explanation in the Pano2VR forum. Perhaps some of the members of this list would like to have a look as well, here's a link:
        >
        > <http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4935>
        >
        > Cheers!
        >
        > Erik Leeman
        >
        > (<http://www.erikleeman.com> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/>)
        >

        > ,___

      • prague
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6, 2010
          this is a bit offtopic, but let me ask, why *wouldn't* you jailbreak the ipad? :-)

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik_leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > One of the results of our wonderful meeting in Plymouth was that now even *I* own an iPad : )
          > Primary reason to buy one was the possibility to use it as an electronic portfolio for interactive VR-panoramas, with the new Pano2VR v3(beta) as source for HTML5 material. A fellow Pano2VR forum member suggested using the app 'GoodReader' for storing and displaying my collection of pano files on the iPad, so Jailbreaking wasn't necessary.

        • Christian Bloch
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2010
            > this is a bit offtopic, but let me ask, why *wouldn't* you jailbreak the ipad? :-)

            > Because it's a pain to do it over and over again with every update, and its different every time....

            It's a great toy just out of the box, I'm just now getting deeper into it since I my laptop had a close encounter with the marble floor. Having all panos on PangeaVR is sweet, but I wish it would do 8k. Apps I found out to be important to get anything done on an ipad:

            TextExpander
            Dropbox
            Elements
            Gusto
            Times
            Monkey Island 2 Special Edition (genius developer commentary!!)

            Sent from my iPad

            On Sep 6, 2010, at 1:15 AM, "prague" <360cities@...> wrote:

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik_leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > One of the results of our wonderful meeting in Plymouth was that now even *I* own an iPad : )
            > > Primary reason to buy one was the possibility to use it as an electronic portfolio for interactive VR-panoramas, with the new Pano2VR v3(beta) as source for HTML5 material. A fellow Pano2VR forum member suggested using the app 'GoodReader' for storing and displaying my collection of pano files on the iPad, so Jailbreaking wasn't necessary.

          • Henri Smeets
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2010
              I love my iPad too, also showing panos using PangeaVR HD, and it does show
              8K, 4096x2048 actually. Most portfolio's are 2K though. I find it even
              easier to directly copy them to the iPad. Have the iPhone version as well
              for even more portability (though at the moment it is recovering (i hope)
              from a washingmachine incident :-( )
            • michael crane
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2010
                On Mon, September 6, 2010 12:28 pm, Henri Smeets wrote:

                > I love my iPad too, also showing panos using PangeaVR HD, and it does show
                > 8K, 4096x2048 actually. Most portfolio's are 2K though. I find it even
                > easier to directly copy them to the iPad. Have the iPhone version as well
                > for even more portability (though at the moment it is recovering (i hope)
                > from a washingmachine incident :-( )

                you should find the page which explains how to put a dot of white paint so
                it doesn't look as if it has been immersed in water.