RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Better seeing this way ... New Canon 360 degrees

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2010
      Because its 1 shot, and with 50 megapixel, you can get some decent
      resolution out of it for probably usable output.

      This means you can shoot Ignacio situations without a day or more of post
      processing, minus the missing parts of course.

      Crowds, on a boat, on a bicycle, dragging the shutter, gps tagged
      walkthroughs..

      You could adjunct normal 360 tours with in between quality shots, or convert
      to a video tween.

      It means a high quality Microsoft or google 360 view will be everywhere.

      Ugh how about a little imagination.

      You want unlimited bracketing? Just install magic lantern, it's been out for
      over a year.

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2010
        <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

        > Because its 1 shot, and with 50 megapixel, you can get some decent
        > resolution out of it for probably usable output.
        >
        > It means a high quality Microsoft or google 360 view will be everywhere.

        Sacha,

        Have you ever used a mirror system? I've used five different ones with higher and higher mexapixel count cameras. All mirror systems have fundamental problems with image quality not directly related to resolution. Adding a 50 megapixel sensor to a mirror is simply going to produce more problem pixels. And of course the VFOV is realistically limited to about 70-80 degrees, beyond that and you get usually very soft pixels with quite bad chromatic aberrations.

        It also looks like Canon has choosen to protect/support the mirror by having a plastic sleeve, this produces lots of issues when shooting in the real world.

        It will be interesting to see if Canon ever brings this to market and how much they want for it. If they do bring it out and price it under $5,000 or so you may be right that we will see a lot of 360 by 60 video hit the web.

        > You want unlimited bracketing? Just install magic lantern, it's been out for
        > over a year.

        Last time I looked magic lantern only supported the Canon 5D11, has that changed? And yes there are other ways to work around Canon's and Nikon's stupid limits but why in the world should we have to, it's just plain stupid on their part. I think they must think their bracketing functions are still for "challenging exposure conditions."