Better seeing this way ... New Canon 360 degrees

  • AYRTON
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2010
      Here you can see it better
      how to use 50 mpx sensor for 360 degrees one shot :-)

      <
      http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/09/canons-50mp-omnidirectional-camera-looks-everywhere-at-once/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GizmodoAustralia+%28Gizmodo+Australia%29

      best
      AYRTON

      --
      ------------
      | A Y R |
    • robert
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2010
        > Here you can see it better
        > how to use 50 mpx sensor for 360 degrees one shot :-)

        A mirror with 1000 mpx is still just a mirror on a stick. It never ceases to amaze me now many companies have gone down the mirror on a stick path only to realize later that from a quality photography perspective it's a dead end. Works for security applications, and other extremely vertical markets but common use other than getto real estate work, I think not.

        From the still they show it looks like they only have about a 55-65 degree VFOV, boy o boy I'm excited. Maybe it's for video.

        Hey Canon, how about simply updating the firmware on your existing DSLR's to have unlimited bracketing?

        ugh......

        Robert
      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2010
          Because its 1 shot, and with 50 megapixel, you can get some decent
          resolution out of it for probably usable output.

          This means you can shoot Ignacio situations without a day or more of post
          processing, minus the missing parts of course.

          Crowds, on a boat, on a bicycle, dragging the shutter, gps tagged
          walkthroughs..

          You could adjunct normal 360 tours with in between quality shots, or convert
          to a video tween.

          It means a high quality Microsoft or google 360 view will be everywhere.

          Ugh how about a little imagination.

          You want unlimited bracketing? Just install magic lantern, it's been out for
          over a year.

          > how to use 50 mpx sensor for 360 degrees one shot :-)

          A mirror with 1000 mpx is still just a mirror on a stick. It never ceases to
          amaze me now many companies have gone down the mirror on a stick path only
          to realize later that from a quality photography perspective it's a dead
          end. Works for security applications, and other extremely vertical markets
          but common use other than getto real estate work, I think not.

          From the still they show it looks like they only have about a 55-65 degree
          VFOV, boy o boy I'm excited. Maybe it's for video.

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2010
            <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

            > Because its 1 shot, and with 50 megapixel, you can get some decent
            > resolution out of it for probably usable output.
            >
            > It means a high quality Microsoft or google 360 view will be everywhere.

            Sacha,

            Have you ever used a mirror system? I've used five different ones with higher and higher mexapixel count cameras. All mirror systems have fundamental problems with image quality not directly related to resolution. Adding a 50 megapixel sensor to a mirror is simply going to produce more problem pixels. And of course the VFOV is realistically limited to about 70-80 degrees, beyond that and you get usually very soft pixels with quite bad chromatic aberrations.

            It also looks like Canon has choosen to protect/support the mirror by having a plastic sleeve, this produces lots of issues when shooting in the real world.

            It will be interesting to see if Canon ever brings this to market and how much they want for it. If they do bring it out and price it under $5,000 or so you may be right that we will see a lot of 360 by 60 video hit the web.

            > You want unlimited bracketing? Just install magic lantern, it's been out for
            > over a year.

            Last time I looked magic lantern only supported the Canon 5D11, has that changed? And yes there are other ways to work around Canon's and Nikon's stupid limits but why in the world should we have to, it's just plain stupid on their part. I think they must think their bracketing functions are still for "challenging exposure conditions."