Re: local pano viewer for mac?

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 2, 2010
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "prague" <360cities@...> wrote:

      > Sorry. I forgot to specify -
      >
      > an EQUIRECT player.
      >
      > like on a PC, the beautiful DevalVR player - drop an equirect on it, and view the pano.
      >
      > I absolutely don't want Quicktime or Flash player - building a pano file in order to view it locally seems like a waste of time...
      >
      > thanks,
      As already mentioned Brians Panopreviwer in Photoshop
      http://www.pangeasoft.net/pano/plugin/panopreviewer.html

      I do not understand why he says that it does not work properly in CS4.
      It is not updated for CS5 64bit so you need to run CS5 as 32bit. It's the same for Noise Ninja, they have also not updated to 64 bit yet.

      I actually run both CS4 in 32 and CS5 in CS5 because of this.

      Panopreviewer for large panoramas works best if you reduce the memory in Photoshop just like other plugins because this allows more memory to the plugin.
      To view a 20.000 pano I need to set my CS4 to only 1 Gb. This is why an update to 64 bit will improve it conciderably.

      Another option nobody has mentioned is Spi-V. Aldo still has it for download here
      http://fieldofview.com/spv-dev/downloads

      I have not used it for many years but I just downloded the standalone and it works fine.
      Tested it with an 14800x7400 and to my surprise it worked. (iMac i7 8 GB ram)

      However it took 20 sec with black window to convert the equirectangular to cubes for viewing. A 6000x3000 opens in 3 sec.

      Hans
    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 2, 2010
        Sometime around 2/9/10 (at 07:57 +0000) prague said:

        >I absolutely don't want Quicktime or Flash player - building a pano
        >file in order to view it locally seems like a waste of time...

        I see what you mean. Although it does depend partly what you're
        looking for when you view it. I generally want to see the effect of a
        particular combination of pixel size and JPEG compression derived
        from my max-size 16-bit TIFF equirect. Can't do that without building
        a pano, really. Or spitting out an optimised JPEG equirect, at least,
        at which point it makes little difference. :-)

      • Carl von Einem
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 2, 2010
          The wiki lists a lot of different viewers
          http://wiki.panotools.org/Panorama_Viewers

          Have a look at the section about "Stand alone Viewers"... Panini by
          TKSharpless hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread. Though it does not
          support dropping equirects on it as you asked for it works nicely if you
          just open a file via the menu.

          Download from http://sourceforge.net/projects/pvqt/ and give it a try.
          It's a cute box of tricks and lets you explore different projections.

          Carl

          Posted by: "prague" jefffreymartin
          > Date: Thu Sep 2, 2010 12:57 am (PDT)
          >
          > Sorry. I forgot to specify - an EQUIRECT player.
          > like on a PC, the beautiful DevalVR player - drop an equirect on it,
          > and view the pano.
        • toni.garbasso
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 3, 2010
            Thnx Carl, Panini works great on Mac!
            Some little adjustments in the UI can be made...

            Any news about Pangea? Still waiting the PS plug-in for CS5...

            Toni