Re: [PanoToolsNG] local pano viewer for mac?

  • Willy Kaemena
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2010
      Here is my choice:
      Quicktime 7 Player
      Flashplayer
      CubicNavigator

      Willy

      On Sep 1, 2010, at 13:17, Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net wrote:

      > what are people using to view panos locally on their mac?
      >
      > is there a free one?
      >
      > Jeffrey

    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2010
        Sometime around 1/9/10 (at 13:17 +0200) Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net said:

        >what are people using to view panos locally on their mac?

        Either QuickTime Player, for QTVR panoramas (still a useful
        quick-n-easy way to test things), or any browser window, for
        Flash-based panos from Pano2VR. For some reason the Adobe Flash
        Player app annoys me... :-)

        This is just for quick checking of final output settings; the end
        product could be in one or more of a variety of forms.

      • Carlos Chegado - carloschegado.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2010
          Willy,

          There is nothing like the FSPViewer
          <http://www.fsoft.it/panorama/FSPViewer.htm> for Mac yet???

          I use FSPViewer everyday as part of my workflow, to check
          equirectangular files that come out of PTGui I just drop them on the
          FSPViewer and I can see in full detail how it looks.

          FSP is really great, no need to generate additional flash or mov files
          just to dheck how the pano is at some stage in the workflow.

          Os melhores cumprimentos,
          Best regards,

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          Carlos Chegado

          Olho de Peixe Lda
          Rua Miguel Pais, 48 - B, 2830-356 Barreiro, Portugal
          Tel: (+351) 210 88 91 92, Fax: (+351) 210 88 91 99

          || Skype: carloschegado || facebook.com/carloschegado ||
          twitter.com/carloschegado ||

          www.xprints.com ||

          || 360cities.net/profile/carlos-chegado || ivrpa.org/user/2153 ||

          On 01-09-2010 13:56, Willy Kaemena wrote:

          > Here is my choice:
          > Quicktime 7 Player
          > Flashplayer
          > CubicNavigator

        • Willy Kaemena
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1, 2010
            FSPViewer is not for Mac OS available

            For checking an equirectangular in the workflow in Photoshop, I use the Pangea PanoPreviewer plugin

            Willy

            On Sep 1, 2010, at 15:15, Carlos Chegado - carloschegado.com wrote:

            > Willy,
            >
            > There is nothing like the FSPViewer
            > <http://www.fsoft.it/panorama/FSPViewer.htm> for Mac yet???
            >
            > I use FSPViewer everyday as part of my workflow, to check
            > equirectangular files that come out of PTGui I just drop them on the
            > FSPViewer and I can see in full detail how it looks.
            >
            > FSP is really great, no need to generate additional flash or mov files
            > just to dheck how the pano is at some stage in the workflow.
            >
            > Os melhores cumprimentos,
            > Best regards,
            >
            > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            >
            > Carlos Chegado
            >
            > Olho de Peixe Lda
            > Rua Miguel Pais, 48 - B, 2830-356 Barreiro, Portugal
            > Tel: (+351) 210 88 91 92, Fax: (+351) 210 88 91 99
            >
            > || Skype: carloschegado || facebook.com/carloschegado ||
            > twitter.com/carloschegado ||

            > www.xprints.com ||
            >
            > || 360cities.net/profile/carlos-chegado || ivrpa.org/user/2153 ||
            >
            > On 01-09-2010 13:56, Willy Kaemena wrote:
            > >

            > > Here is my choice:
            > > Quicktime 7 Player
            > > Flashplayer
            > > CubicNavigator

          • Ian Wood
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 1, 2010
              For smooth playback, bookmarks, slideshow mode etc. there's nothing out there on a Mac that can beat CubicNavigator.

              For utility-style viewing, the Pangea plugin for Photoshop is probably the best.

              Ian

              On 1 Sep 2010, at 12:17, "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...> wrote:

              > what are people using to view panos locally on their mac?
            • Hans
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 1, 2010
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

                > For smooth playback, bookmarks, slideshow mode etc. there's nothing out there on a Mac that can beat CubicNavigator.
                >
                > For utility-style viewing, the Pangea plugin for Photoshop is probably the best.

                Yes but please Brian lets get it updated for 64 Bit CS5.
                I would be happy to pay.

                Hans
              • AYRTON
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 1, 2010
                  On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Hans <hans@...> wrote:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > For smooth playback, bookmarks, slideshow mode etc. there's nothing out
                  > there on a Mac that can beat CubicNavigator.
                  > >
                  > > For utility-style viewing, the Pangea plugin for Photoshop is probably
                  > the best.
                  >

                  > Yes but please Brian lets get it updated for 64 Bit CS5.
                  > I would be happy to pay.

                  Me TOO
                  I'm ready to pay for it !
                  but I need an update urgent :-)

                  best
                  AYRTON

                  > Hans

                  ------------
                  | A Y R |
                  | T O N |
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 1, 2010
                    Am 01.09.2010 15:15, schrieb Carlos Chegado - carloschegado.com:
                    > FSP is really great, no need to generate additional flash or mov files
                    > just to dheck how the pano is at some stage in the workflow.

                    Same applies to DevalVR standalone player.

                    BTW.: Isn't it possible to use a Java based player standalone on Mac?

                  • Hans
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 1, 2010

                      > Am 01.09.2010 15:15, schrieb Carlos Chegado - carloschegado.com:
                      > > FSP is really great, no need to generate additional flash or mov files
                      > > just to dheck how the pano is at some stage in the workflow.
                      >
                      > Same applies to DevalVR standalone player.
                      >
                      > BTW.: Isn't it possible to use a Java based player standalone on Mac?

                      I can view 20.000x10.000 with previewer.
                      Can you do that with Java.?

                      I hope that I can view even larger when it gets updated to 64 bit.

                      Hans
                    • prague
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 2, 2010
                        Sorry. I forgot to specify -

                        an EQUIRECT player.

                        like on a PC, the beautiful DevalVR player - drop an equirect on it, and view the pano.

                        I absolutely don't want Quicktime or Flash player - building a pano file in order to view it locally seems like a waste of time...

                        thanks,
                        jeffrey
                      • Hans
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 2, 2010
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "prague" <360cities@...> wrote:

                          > Sorry. I forgot to specify -
                          >
                          > an EQUIRECT player.
                          >
                          > like on a PC, the beautiful DevalVR player - drop an equirect on it, and view the pano.
                          >
                          > I absolutely don't want Quicktime or Flash player - building a pano file in order to view it locally seems like a waste of time...
                          >
                          > thanks,
                          As already mentioned Brians Panopreviwer in Photoshop
                          http://www.pangeasoft.net/pano/plugin/panopreviewer.html

                          I do not understand why he says that it does not work properly in CS4.
                          It is not updated for CS5 64bit so you need to run CS5 as 32bit. It's the same for Noise Ninja, they have also not updated to 64 bit yet.

                          I actually run both CS4 in 32 and CS5 in CS5 because of this.

                          Panopreviewer for large panoramas works best if you reduce the memory in Photoshop just like other plugins because this allows more memory to the plugin.
                          To view a 20.000 pano I need to set my CS4 to only 1 Gb. This is why an update to 64 bit will improve it conciderably.

                          Another option nobody has mentioned is Spi-V. Aldo still has it for download here
                          http://fieldofview.com/spv-dev/downloads

                          I have not used it for many years but I just downloded the standalone and it works fine.
                          Tested it with an 14800x7400 and to my surprise it worked. (iMac i7 8 GB ram)

                          However it took 20 sec with black window to convert the equirectangular to cubes for viewing. A 6000x3000 opens in 3 sec.

                          Hans
                        • Keith Martin
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 2, 2010
                            Sometime around 2/9/10 (at 07:57 +0000) prague said:

                            >I absolutely don't want Quicktime or Flash player - building a pano
                            >file in order to view it locally seems like a waste of time...

                            I see what you mean. Although it does depend partly what you're
                            looking for when you view it. I generally want to see the effect of a
                            particular combination of pixel size and JPEG compression derived
                            from my max-size 16-bit TIFF equirect. Can't do that without building
                            a pano, really. Or spitting out an optimised JPEG equirect, at least,
                            at which point it makes little difference. :-)

                          • Carl von Einem
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 2, 2010
                              The wiki lists a lot of different viewers
                              http://wiki.panotools.org/Panorama_Viewers

                              Have a look at the section about "Stand alone Viewers"... Panini by
                              TKSharpless hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread. Though it does not
                              support dropping equirects on it as you asked for it works nicely if you
                              just open a file via the menu.

                              Download from http://sourceforge.net/projects/pvqt/ and give it a try.
                              It's a cute box of tricks and lets you explore different projections.

                              Carl

                              Posted by: "prague" jefffreymartin
                              > Date: Thu Sep 2, 2010 12:57 am (PDT)
                              >
                              > Sorry. I forgot to specify - an EQUIRECT player.
                              > like on a PC, the beautiful DevalVR player - drop an equirect on it,
                              > and view the pano.
                            • toni.garbasso
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 3, 2010
                                Thnx Carl, Panini works great on Mac!
                                Some little adjustments in the UI can be made...

                                Any news about Pangea? Still waiting the PS plug-in for CS5...

                                Toni