catadioptric lens

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
      Interesting new lens design:

      http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Inexpensive_Design_Aims_To_Improve_Indoor_Security_Robot_Navigation_999.html

      Not going to dump my fisheye anytime soon, despite all the anti-fisheye
      rhetoric, but if these are really so inexpensive it could be fun for
      playing with (and based on the samples on the product web site I doubt
      it'll be much good for anything beyond play!).

      Certainly interesting to see such extreme wide rectilinear images...

      -Rh
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
        Couldn't anyone find the image it makes?
        Wouldn't that be the thing you'd really want to see?
        I checked their site and nada...

        Sacha Griffin
        Southern Digital Solutions LLC
        www.southern-digital.com
        www.seeit360.net
        www.ezphotosafe.com
        404-551-4275
        404-731-7798

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
          Sacha Griffin wrote:
          > Couldn't anyone find the image it makes?
          > Wouldn't that be the thing you'd really want to see?
          > I checked their site and nada...

          I was only able to find shots OF product but nothing shot BY the
          product. That's not a plus advertising wise.

          > Sacha Griffin
          > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
          > www.southern-digital.com
          > www.seeit360.net
          > www.ezphotosafe.com
          > 404-551-4275
          > 404-731-7798

          Pat Swovelin
          Cool Guy @ Large
        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
            On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 06:49:02 +0900, Roger Howard
            <rogerhoward@...> wrote:

            > Interesting new lens design:
            >
            > http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Inexpensive_Design_Aims_To_Improve_Indoor_Security_Robot_Navigation_999.html
            >
            > Not going to dump my fisheye anytime soon, despite all the anti-fisheye
            > rhetoric, but if these are really so inexpensive it could be fun for
            > playing with (and based on the samples on the product web site I doubt
            > it'll be much good for anything beyond play!).
            >
            > Certainly interesting to see such extreme wide rectilinear images...

            As you say, Roger. But it is always surprising to me how the fact that
            straight lines remain straight in the final images is seen as implying
            that there is no distortion. In fact there is simply a substitution of
            one form of distortion for another. The extreme spatial distortion you
            get in the corners of rectilinear images is quite as disturbing to me
            as the curvilinear distortion your get from fisheyes. And at the kinds
            of FOV they are achieving this becomes VERY pronounced.

            Roger W.

            --
            Work: www.adex-japan.com
            Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
              Click on the button "Development History" and scroll down.
              mb

              On 12/1/06, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:

              > Sacha Griffin wrote:
              > > Couldn't anyone find the image it makes?
              > > Wouldn't that be the thing you'd really want to see?
              > > I checked their site and nada...
              >
              > I was only able to find shots OF product but nothing shot BY the
              > product. That's not a plus advertising wise.
              >
              > > Sacha Griffin
              > > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
              > > www.southern-digital.com
              > > www.seeit360.net
              > > www.ezphotosafe.com
              > > 404-551-4275
              > > 404-731-7798

            • Pat Swovelin
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
                cyberneddy wrote:
                > Click on the button "Development History" and scroll down.

                Thanks. That 10' tall room looks deep enough to skydive in. Dang.

                > mb
                >
                > On 12/1/06, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:
                >> Sacha Griffin wrote:
                >>> Couldn't anyone find the image it makes?
                >>> Wouldn't that be the thing you'd really want to see?
                >>> I checked their site and nada...
                >> I was only able to find shots OF product but nothing shot BY the
                >> product. That's not a plus advertising wise.
                >>
                >>> Sacha Griffin
                >>> Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                >>> www.southern-digital.com
                >>> www.seeit360.net
                >>> www.ezphotosafe.com
                >>> 404-551-4275
                >>> 404-731-7798

                Pat Swovelin
                Cool Guy @ Large
              • jeffrey
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
                  This looks like a PR stunt to me. first of all, the images are all
                  pointing down. all the lines are straight in a fisheye image too,
                  pointing down. second, it's just a nasty mirror, not a parabolic
                  mirror, but some other shape. what's the big deal?
                • rogerhoward@rogerroger.org
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
                    On Dec 1, 2006, at 7:02 PM, Roger D. Williams wrote:

                    > On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 06:49:02 +0900, Roger Howard
                    > <rogerhoward@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Interesting new lens design:
                    > >
                    > >http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/
                    > Inexpensive_Design_Aims_To_Improve_Indoor_Security_Robot_Navigation_99
                    > 9.html
                    > >
                    > > Not going to dump my fisheye anytime soon, despite all the anti-
                    > fisheye
                    > > rhetoric, but if these are really so inexpensive it could be fun for
                    > > playing with (and based on the samples on the product web site I
                    > doubt
                    > > it'll be much good for anything beyond play!).
                    > >
                    > > Certainly interesting to see such extreme wide rectilinear images...
                    >
                    > As you say, Roger. But it is always surprising to me how the fact that
                    > straight lines remain straight in the final images is seen as implying
                    > that there is no distortion. In fact there is simply a substitution of
                    > one form of distortion for another. The extreme spatial distortion you
                    > get in the corners of rectilinear images is quite as disturbing to me
                    > as the curvilinear distortion your get from fisheyes. And at the kinds
                    > of FOV they are achieving this becomes VERY pronounced.

                    Oh. I agree. The marketing BS in the various articles is a bit thick.
                    This is a relatively cheap, obviously dubious quality reflector;
                    frankly I don't find 150 degree rectilinear images all that useful,
                    I'd *rather* look at a fisheye at that FOV. And yes, distortion is
                    obvious; I mean if we can expect fisheyes to be called distorted then
                    I would certainly call any such wide rectilinear image distorted, as
                    this is *nothing* like what my brain sees in the real world.

                    Btw guys, there *are* image samples, at the manufacturers site, in
                    all their glorious craptitude.

                    -Rh
                  • Serge Maandag (yahoo)
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 9, 2006
                      I'm over 400 posts behind on the list and catching up, so this is a bit
                      of a late reply..

                      > frankly I don't find 150 degree rectilinear images all that useful,
                      > I'd *rather* look at a fisheye at that FOV.

                      I agree to that..

                      > I mean if we can expect fisheyes to be called distorted then
                      > I would certainly call any such wide rectilinear image distorted, as
                      > this is *nothing* like what my brain sees in the real world.

                      Well, theoretically the rectilinear image is undistorted if you look at it
                      from a distance of 1 cm. If the viewing angle is as big as the projection
                      angle, the distortion is gone..

                      (just had to mention, sorry..)

                      Serge.
                    • Luca Vascon