Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Consistent stitching errors

  • Blake Michaelson
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1 12:07 AM
      Thank you all for the excellent information! I tore down my system
      (Canon 350D / Peleng 8mm / Panosaurus - for the next guy who searches
      for this issue) and set it all up once again (I have to admit that the
      link below to eppos.jpg was a nice simplistic approach to checking the
      alignment). I took another 4+1+2 (2 nadir opposed 180°), things
      stitched a little better, but not much different than before.

      However, I did have GREAT success with going into advanced mode of
      PTGui, selecting the Optimizer tab, keeping the Optimizer in simple
      mode, selecting optimize lens Field of View, and selecting Minimize lens
      distortion to "Heavy + lens shift", then ran the optimizer. I ended up
      with an average of 1.03, max of 2.47 and min 0.04 - significantly better
      points, and subsequently significantly better stitched panos! This
      almost completely eliminated the "nautilus" effect with regard to the
      unpatched nadir. I went back and restitched some panos I took prior to
      realigning my setup and they stitched just as precisely as well...

      Thanks for the all the continued assistance - I appreciate it tremendously!

      Blake

      John Houghton wrote:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Blake Michaelson
      > <blake.michaelson@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Imagine a nautilus shell put on its side, and shifted 60° about
      > > it's "nodal point" - there's a bit of a lip from each pano image
      > > that contributes to making the circle look a bit like a pinwheel...
      > > if you can imagine what I'm attempting to describe.
      >
      > This suggests that the lateral positioning of the camera is not
      > correct. The entrance pupil may be located correctly front to back,
      > but not side to side. Whatever instructions you are following, they
      > don't seem to have worked. Try checking the entrance pupil position
      > visually using this simple arrangement:
      > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.houghton/eppos.jpg
      > <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.houghton/eppos.jpg>
      > Point the eyepiece at a bright light source to illuminate the
      > entrance pupil. Make sure you have the pano head level and use the
      > plumb line to check that the entrance pupil is centered on the axis
      > point.
      >
      > Generally, there is no requirement to accurately level the panorama
      > head and/or the camera to ensure good stitching. Rotating the camera
      > about the no-parallax point is the important thing to get right.
      >
      > John

    • Roger D. Williams
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1 12:25 AM
        Blake, I am so glad you got what you needed. As a moderator of the
        list I must say it gives the very greatest satisfaction to think
        that we have such knowledgeable and helpful people in the group.
        I am only a few years ahead of you, and still groping around near
        the bottom of the learning curve but I would still be trying to
        warp images in PaintShop pro if it weren't for this list!

        Roger W.

        --
        Work: www.adex-japan.com
        Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger