3.8 spherical of Yosemite and others.

  • greg downing
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2006
      Hi Everyone,

      I just posted a website of some very high resolution panoramas that can be
      navigated via the google maps API. This is the culmination of a few years of
      work that I have done w/ Eric Hanson, a fellow Photography/Visual Effects
      Pro. We used a PixOrb, a 1Ds Mark II and a 100mm lens to shoot ~350 images
      for the spherical panoramas, we got 3.8 gigapixels out of that
      configuration. If you reload the main page you will get one of the 5
      multi-gigapixel images that will open fullscreen or you can go into the
      gallery and select them directly. In the "Divingboard" image see if you can
      spot the climber on the face of halfdome!

      http://www.xrez.com/

      -Greg

    • August F. Young III
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
        Very Impressive work :-)

        What are you waiting for?

        August Young Maestrotainment/August Young Photography
        Actor/Photographer/Computer Tech/Graphic Designer/DJ
        Myspace http://www.myspace.com/maestro72x
        august@...
        www.augustyoungphotography.com <http://www.augustyoungphotography.com/>
        AIM: maestro72x
        mobile: 310-926-8442
        <http://www.plaxo.com/click_to_call?src=jj_signature&To=310-926-8442&Email=a
        fy@...>

        <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=12885470650&v0=1126709&k0=1123436499> Add
        me to your address book... <http://www.plaxo.com/signature> Want a
        signature like this?

        _____

        I just posted a website of some very high resolution panoramas that can be
        navigated via the google maps API. This is the culmination of a few years of
        work that I have done w/ Eric Hanson, a fellow Photography/Visual Effects
        Pro. We used a PixOrb, a 1Ds Mark II and a 100mm lens to shoot ~350 images
        for the spherical panoramas, we got 3.8 gigapixels out of that
        configuration. If you reload the main page you will get one of the 5
        multi-gigapixel images that will open fullscreen or you can go into the
        gallery and select them directly. In the "Divingboard" image see if you can
        spot the climber on the face of halfdome!

        http://www.xrez <http://www.xrez.com/> com/

        -Greg

      • robert_harshman
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
          We used a PixOrb, a 1Ds Mark II and a 100mm lens to shoot ~350 images
          > for the spherical panoramas,

          Hi Greg, very nice work, would love to see the "real" or full sized
          images, thanks for showing this.

          I'm curious about one thing however. When you shoot a spherical with a
          100mm lens, at what point(s) are you changing the focus point(s) to
          shoot the down shots and with a setup like this you must be using a
          boom arm to shoot the final nadir work?

          Regards,

          Robert Harshman
          www.robertharshman.com
        • Jim Watters
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
            greg downing wrote:
            > Hi Everyone,
            >
            > I just posted a website of some very high resolution panoramas that can be
            > navigated via the google maps API. [snip]
            > http://www.xrez.com/
            >
            > -Greg

            This is simply amazing. The Google maps API is perfect for this.

            --
            Jim Watters

            jwatters @ photocreations . ca
            http://photocreations.ca
          • gregoryallandowning
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
              > Hi Greg, very nice work, would love to see the "real" or full sized
              > images, thanks for showing this.

              Hi Robert, think you may have missed that you can click on the image
              and it will open full screen allowing you to explore the full resolution.

              > I'm curious about one thing however. When you shoot a spherical with a
              > 100mm lens, at what point(s) are you changing the focus point(s) to
              > shoot the down shots and with a setup like this you must be using a
              > boom arm to shoot the final nadir work?

              We did not shoot the nadir nor did we change the focus. In the spi-v
              view we cloned the rock we were standing on into the nadir, in the
              flat view we just cropped it out because it is so distorted anyway.
            • robert_harshman
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006
                > Hi Robert, think you may have missed that you can click on the image
                > and it will open full screen allowing you to explore the full
                resolution.

                Hi Greg,

                Thanks for the update, and yes while I saw and looked at the zoomify?
                presentation or flat presentation, amazing detail, I should have been
                clearer.

                I would love to see the highest res QTVR presentation. I mean if your
                generating a 3.8 gixapixel source image of 90,000 by 45,000 pixels
                then a single cubic face would be around 30,000 pixels? And of course
                the mov file would be massive too even with the highest JPG
                compression possible.

                The QTVR of Yosemite on your site I guess is probably about 2
                megabytes in size and like most highly compressed VR's gets soft very
                quickly if you zoom in. Thats a massive reduction in size from the
                3.8 gigapixels.

                For a DVD version have you found a resonable limit on file size
                verses the ability of the hardware/software to rotate the VR without
                too much stepping or....

                Regards,

                Robert Harshman
                www.robertharshman.com