Re: [PanoToolsNG] Off Topic -Sort of- Pano-Negative mass .jpg production

  • Pat Swovelin
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2006
      Shawn Steigner wrote:
      > Ok, this pertains to panos.
      > Say you have a .psd file that is your "pano-negative".
      > It has multiple layers, adjustments and etc...
      > It is "ready" to produce .jpgs for full-screen, thumbnails, QT creations.
      >
      > Perhaps you need 6 .jpgs with different sizes and crops to use in
      > templates
      > for various presentation formats.
      > Each needed .jpg result has the same file name as the original .psd
      > file(without the extension of course) with an additional couple of
      > letters
      > to allow for proper presentation in the pre-made templates.
      > And you have hundreds of these pano-negative results ready to go.
      >
      > You need a Photoshop droplet that will,
      >
      > -Flatten the layers,
      > -Save as a .jpg,
      > -Size the image,
      > -save as a .jpg, (with an additional letter or two added to the file
      > name),
      > -then crop the image, size and save again as a .jpg,
      > -etc..for six various results(or more).
      >
      > I've finally built a template system for production of the panos,
      > presentation of panos with HTML files.
      > (Thanks to those on the list that earlier mentioned a standardized naming
      > system for production/presentation)
      > But getting the results out of PS for the many different projects is the
      > bottleneck.
      >
      > Any ideas (or pre-made PS actions) are greatly appreciated.

      Sure, create an action that does all of the work above for full-sized
      output filesize sending the .JPG to the full size directory (for example).
      Duplicate the action.
      Create a new action that saves the .JPG to the next smaller output
      filesize (obviously giving the action a meaningful and significant name)
      and sends it to the matching smaller sized directory (e.g., 80 per cent
      size, 60 per cent size, etc. whatever your workflow dictates namewise).
      In the duplicated action delete the original action that saves the file
      as a .JPG.
      Move the newly created Save As .JPG action into the duplicated action in
      the same place as the one you just deleted above.

      Do this for as many output filesizes as you need.

      Then run each action targeted at the directory that contains your master
      files. When you're finished you'll have a directory with the master
      files and directories with the correctly sized output files. Then all
      you have to do is move the master files back to wherever they originally
      were and do a batch rename of the various output files appending the
      proper (for your workflow) suffix to each one.

      If you always put the master files in the same directory you won't have
      to navigate to it each time you run the actions.

      Good luck.

      > Shawn Steigner
      > www.photosurveyor.com

      Pat Swovelin