Touch screens for virtual tours

  • Robert Slade
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
      Hello,

      One of my clients has asked for a touch screen featuring a virtual tour
      to be displayed in their museum. It's a fairly safe and controlled
      environment, so I was looking at a laptop with Windows 7 and the Acer
      touchscreen.

      Is it possible to run Internet Explorer to allow the visitors to view
      the tour, but not allow them to close the browser window or access any
      other application or Windows features?

      Thanks,
      Rob

      --
      Robert Slade, Photographer
      Manor Photography 07890 564889
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
        Hi Rob.

        I guess it is possible if you compile an executable flash file.
        You might also start your tour fullscreen (and hide the keyboard).

        Best regards from the subtropical regions of Mexico

        2010/8/3 Robert Slade <robert@...>

        > Hello,
        >
        > One of my clients has asked for a touch screen featuring a virtual tour
        > to be displayed in their museum. It's a fairly safe and controlled
        > environment, so I was looking at a laptop with Windows 7 and the Acer
        > touchscreen.
        >
        > Is it possible to run Internet Explorer to allow the visitors to view
        > the tour, but not allow them to close the browser window or access any
        > other application or Windows features?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Rob
        >
        > --
        > Robert Slade, Photographer
        > Manor Photography 07890 564889
        > http://www.manor-photography.com

        --
        L.D.I. Felipe B. Gonz�lez C.
        felipe@...

      • terak1us
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
          A few years ago I did a large vr tour for a museum. The panos were projected on walls and we found a virtually in-destructible stainless steel trackball, with some extra buttons. Everything was programmed with devalvr - still the smoothest way to view a panorama.

          Carel Struycken

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Robert Slade <robert@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > One of my clients has asked for a touch screen featuring a virtual tour
          > to be displayed in their museum. It's a fairly safe and controlled
          > environment, so I was looking at a laptop with Windows 7 and the Acer
          > touchscreen.
          >
          > Is it possible to run Internet Explorer to allow the visitors to view
          > the tour, but not allow them to close the browser window or access any
          > other application or Windows features?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Rob
          >
          > --
          > Robert Slade, Photographer
          > Manor Photography 07890 564889
          > http://www.manor-photography.com

        • Isaac Garcia
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
            Good old F11 should take care of most of your worries, but looking up
            windows "kiosk options" will make it "safer".

            Sent from HTC Hero. Please excuse typos.

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
              Thanks Isaac - I think the kiosk option is the answer ... very useful!

              Regards,
              Rob
              --

              Isaac Garcia wrote:

              > Good old F11 should take care of most of your worries, but looking up
              > windows "kiosk options" will make it "safer".

              --
              Robert Slade, Photographer
              Manor Photography 07890 564889
              http://www.manor-photography.com
            • panovrx
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
                It is easy to kill the right mouse button of a standard mouse. Run the panos full screen and remove the keyboard -- that is what I do for Flash pano kiosks. The 3dconnexion SpaceNavigator is good for panos if you dont want to use the touch functionality of the screen for navigating. Maybe you could
                the touch screen just for pressing onscreen buttons -- for navigating, choosing panos etc. The SpaceNavigator has buttons (as well as a kind of stubby joystick) but the buttons are a bit hard to press.
                Deval has SpaceNavigator support
                http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/Space-Navigator-and-recent-panoramic-viewers-td609842.html

                Peter M